Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of seeing and photographing this rare gem a few weeks back.

Its part of a private collection and what you see here is as-found condition. It has a lousy repaint, but everything is present.

Supposedly it will be treated to a proper restoration eventually.

Believe me when I say its a tiny car.

Enjoy the piccies...

·
Registered
313 Posts
The S might be to engage the starter motor. Toggle switch is a mystery. Haha

·
Registered
622 Posts
Rims are enkei mags-not original, and i am surprised it has a 5 speed for a 1966. Makes me think of a compact 2000gt lol, put a beams 3sge in it! jk
I'd like to see it all original if it's rare. Also Greg keep it up with the old school style, I'm diggin' it.

Edit: come on guys S= starter as stated above and toggle is Nitrous. J/k idk:)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Greg! We need at least one shot with you in the car - just to show the size of the car in reference to someone we all know. Those folks in the brochures were all "smaller than life-size" I'm sure, and the stated comparison is even more true here in 2010 America LOL

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had a chance to think about it...if you look closely it appears that it is the cigarette lighter...since C was taken for the choke knob they probably selected S for "smoke".

The toggle switch is probably for the little interior light just to the right of it...not sure there is even a dome light.

This car must've REALLY seemed strange in 1966!

Cool pics and sweet brochure Greg.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Believe it or not, the guy who owns the Toyota dealer where I live also has one of those. I've never seen it personally. I struck up a conversation with the guy at the gym one day, which was a disappointment to say the least. I told him I had heard he had a Sports 800 and he told me a little bit about it, I told him I had a nice classic MR2 yada yada, and then he just kind of walked away. Here I was thinking, great! another Toyota enthusiast! but, he just seemed kind of oblivious to the whole Toyota thing, despite owning that rare old Toyota, which kind of surprised me, because in my neck of the woods it's all Harleys, Chevy and Fords, and you'd think a guy would want to meet a few kindred spirits. Oh well, I guess some dipshits with too much money just don't want to share any of their toys with the other boys and girls. :sadbanana:

Anyways, Greg, thanks for the great pics. Such a cool little car. Definitely see some 2000GT elements in there, especially the plastic light covers up front. Myself, I don't think I'd restore it except mechanically if it needed it, but that's just me. Maybe get rid of those slotted aluminum wheels for original wheels, even though the slots do look kind of cool.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scoob... he probably wasnt oblivious, but rather cautious and protective.

I'll bet he has many treasures in his private collection.

And yes, the owner of this particular car said he wants to track down the proper steel rims and full wheelcovers to replace the 5-slots.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Rims are enkei mags-not original, and i am surprised it has a 5 speed for a 1966. Makes me think of a compact 2000gt lol, put a beams 3sge in it! jk
I'd like to see it all original if it's rare. Also Greg keep it up with the old school style, I'm diggin' it.

Edit: come on guys S= starter as stated above and toggle is Nitrous. J/k idk:)
Yeah I'm betting S = Starter. Also the toggle switch is for oil jets in the back. Ha ha it looks like a James Bond car to me anyways..

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I guess we get a little lucky up here in WA, for the PSTOC ToyotaFest '08, we had 2 Toyota 800's show up and the owners were awesome guys:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Nice photos as always Greg! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

I liked the look of that car with the chrome wire wheels best, but a couple of those aluminum wheels looked interesting. That one car had what looked to be the foundation of the P-type rim styling wheels on it. Neat!

Those aluminum slots are probably Ansen Sprint racing mags. I have a set of them (staggered 14") that came off of a 1968 Datsun Fairlady Roadster. The car had been used for racing back in the day, and the rims still had old bias-ply tires on them. I'm guessing that Enkie wasn't even around back then?

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After studying the pic closely... I concur with my esteemed friend 1982black2199.... the S knob is constructed differently from the others. It has an extra metal base which makes me believe it is a ciggy lighter. Either that, or it feeds the squirrel under the hood. :D The toggle probably does control the small lamp next to it.

Please feel free to post more Sports 800 pix you have.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts