Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

ive got a 1979 Supra with 4ME. about 6 years ago it died while driving, no spark so i tried a new distributor and nothing. suspected the ignition module and parked it

last summer i finally found a 79 at a junkyard and took the entire ignition module assembly, instantly made the car run but it does the occasional pop hickup at idle and pops like mad past 3000rpm and has a 4000rpm rev limiter that sounds like a 2-step. figured it was another bad ignition module and thats why the car was there. switched back my old distributor, coil, etc same crap

fast forward to now i found yet again another used 1979 ignition module and tried it, still runs like balls and pops like crazy at 4000rpm making it undriveable. the OEM coil that came with that one arcs bad to the connectors, if i put a new aftermarket coil in theres no arcing but it runs like balls no matter what

anyone had this before? no matter which distributor, cap, rotor, ignition timing, coil, etc i use it still runs like balls. im close to checking to see if the timing chain has skipped teeth or something before i pull my hair out

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
My guess is timing is off??

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had the ignition timing reset and it didnt make a difference. what originally happened is it ran like crap and i found the distributor cap was cracked, replaced the cap and it ran fine then it died completely and now ive got this funky popping with the new ignition modules

i have a spare ECU thats maybe worth a try, if you mean engine timing im wondering if the timing chain skipped a few teeth because it has subtle pops at idle that get worse revving

·
Registered
491 Posts
Confirm plug wires are in good order. Check for breaks. Also check continuity with muliti meter to make sure all wires have very close to the same resistance.

Pull plugs and gap them, check to make sure they're all in good condition.

Check distributor cap for cracks, consider replacement.

Pull the valve cover check the can timing to ensure the timing is correct.

Check fuel pressure at the rail, low fuel pressure can cause detonation or misfire.

Check return line for blockage, too much fuel can cause misfire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts