Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for a slightly offtopic subject.

Just wanted to share this gem of an early RX7... and it makes me smile to see it sitting inside this Ferrari dealer. Offered by FoNE in Norwood MA which is just south of Boston.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270505177922&viewitem=

Looks like its already bringing decent bids... its a pristine piece for sure!

This brings further respect to the vintage Japanese car market.

I have no affiliation with the car nor the dealer.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Looks like a beauty!

The only thing that would make me nervous is that the seller is describing it as a "barn find", which may imply that it could have sat for long periods.

Overall I'm diggin it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thank you for posting, I have had terrible luck seeing a prime example. The 1st gen is also my favorite body style of rx-7's, this is just one beautiful car. Today on CL a saw a 1st gen that was flat black doing autox and it was bad... this gives me hope that they are still available in decent condition.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Beautiful car, but Vacuum advance for the fail, and carburated 12a for the fail. I would love to find a cherry FC, preferrably 88 or 92T.

It is a nice ride though. A fine example.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I loved Supras and loved Z cars but the RX never really did it for me back in the day. Several of my friends had them but to me they were no comparison to my MK1 in style. They loved racing me back then and my little 5me could hang with them easily. It would leave the carbed ones like in this auction.
However, it's great to see a low mileage survivor like the one listed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Billy I believe the "barn find" terminology is simply a case of the dealer over-romanticizing the situation.
lol Never thought that a dealer would stretch the truth like that!!:sarcasm:

Anything to sell the sizzle along with the steak, right?

I guess what I was trying to say is that it would be nice to know the true history on the car, the kind of info you are likely to get only from the previous owner.

It could be that they can supply all that, you never know until you ask...

Either way, it is a very rare and interesting Japanese classic.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Dammitt, just recently I found a local 84 rx7 with 35k org. miles, one owner, always garaged and no winters for $3500/bo but figured I could only make a grand off of it when spring arrives but it wasnt really worth it to me to have it sitting around taking up space during the winter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have this car on my 'watch list' on ebay. Not that I'm going to bid on it or anything. I did notice the following two lines in the ad:

"No real rust of any sort"

"No considerable rust on any body panels!!"

Sounds like they're hedging a bit. Maybe a rusty undercarriage? How would you know, there aren't any pics of the underside? Probably not the end of the world, but I smell a lack of full disclosure here. The engine bay looks clean enough which is always a good sign. But still, for my $5k plus (who know how high it will go), I'd like to know. Anyways, I believe these 1st RX7s ('78 through '80 I believe, before they changed the bumpers to the urethane, soft-style) will be the most collectible of the 1st gens, despite their average straight-line performance.

BTW, when I was home for Christmas, (Minot, N. Dakota), I saw a very nice, two owner, original paint '82 w/92k miles for sale at a local dealer for $3995.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like seller ended the auction early, must've accepted an offer. I wonder how much it went for.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
The RX-7s are great in a lot of ways but I'd be pretty leery about buying one that's been sitting. Those damn apex seals only go about 100K miles under good circumstances, and I'll bet the buyer will have to rebuild that motor before long, despite the low miles. From the pics, though, it's pretty clean. Dash needs a re-do, though.

I agree, would rather have an FC. That's a nice design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts