Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question, but here goes. I saw a 1980 Supra for sale on Craigslist and wanted some info about part availability before I checked it out.

My big concern is the fuel tank. I looked everywhere online and cannot find someone who sells a new fuel tank for this year Supra. Is it available anywhere? Should I worry about the tank? Is this a problem area or did Toyota make tanks that last 30 years or more?

A couple more questions about this car. Is there any one problem I should look for that is a common SNAFU with the car? The owner claims to have recently rebuilt the tranny (automatic), as well as installing a new head gasket, radiator, alternator and more. And he states that it is rust free. All this for $900! It does have 137,000 miles on it, which isn't too bad for a Toyota.

Any input would be appreciated. I plan on looking at it this coming Saturday, so give me the dirt on this car now before I go and buy it! Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
379 Posts
the 4m-e will bow it's headgasket every couple years.

also the lifters need to be adjusted periodically.

the idler arm and pitman arm probably will be worn out. the idler arm is readily available still, but the not so for the pitman arm.

the door hinges wear out and let the doors sag.

those are the main things i can think of right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts