Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently some of the newbs out there have been curious as to what this oddball stereo system looks like & they have never seen it before. I just recently acquired one for someone in AUS & this was a good opportunity to snap a few pics of this, since it's out of the car. Plus it was a good excuse to take pictures of the labels & stuff. So.....

Front of the Pre-Amp/EQ. 7-band EQ, 40 watt amp /4 = 10 watts per channel (WOOHOO!!!!).

Label says it's a Model CA-500-I. Toyota Part# 86280-14030

Wiring plugs in the back.

Cassette Deck:

Label on top of unit.

Label at the bottom. Don't know what the 7th digit is in the Part#, I'm "guessing" it's a 4.

Radio/Tuner: Station Seek/Scan, Local/DX feature, Display Light dimmer (I always leave mine on full bright), 10 station preset's (5 AM, 5 FM). The Scan station feature, is the knob on the left. YES!! 99.9% of the peeps who get in my car, think it's the volume knob. Then they wonder why the knob does not turn very far & the station just changed. Kinda hard to see in the picture, but in the upper left of the display, it says "Toyota Electronic Tuner" in small gold lettering.

Labels on top of the unit.

Wiring of everything in the back.

Someone once mentioned what the option price was for this system. I have since forgotton what it was & I don't know of anyone who has access to a 81 Option price sheet, much less a window sticker. If anyone knows what this option costs back in the day, I would like to know as well.

As mentioned earlier, the 81 MKI MA47 is the only Supra that this system came in. The only other cars that I know that had this, was the 80 RA4X Celica hatchback that had the USGP (United States Grand Prix) option on it. The other was the 81 RA4X Celica coupe that had the 10th Anniversary Celica GTA option. Both had this stereo as standard equipment.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was "inexpensive".

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I had one of those in my old black 81 :) Never did see if tapes worked in it. The radio only worked on FM and reception wasn't very good... Best part about that car was the black interior I stole out of it and put in my 79 :woot:

-DJ

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Ooh, cool. Thanks for the link! Poor Audrey. She was a real pile but still fun to drive when I had her. All that matered to me was that she was a Supra. Didn't matter how bad she looked. :cool:

Surprising that the rear end and driveshaft were already gone. Hope they figure out that the rear brake calipers were rusted solid and did not help the car stop at all :zzzzz:

-DJ

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Muahahahahahaha!!!!

Yeppers!!! This stereo did indeed come from Audrey!!!! Can't believe it took me 90 minutes to get everything all out.

And don't worry. The person who is purchasing this lovely item, is fully aware that the stereo has some issues. I had forgotten about the non-functioning FM side. LMK in a PM if there were other things that were not working as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.