Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a member here for a while now. I though it was time that i came out of the shadows and let you all in on my story. Plus it will get rid of the annoying message suggesting that i post something.

A good friend and I stumbled across a black 82 P-type and fell in love. It had a few mouse nests in the engine bay but was mechanically sound otherwise. The swindler that sold it to us not only got way too much money for it but didn't even let us drive it. Stupid naive kids, we bought it anyways. We drove the car home on 4 cylinders burning oil. After 118 km on the car the 5M needed to be resealed and reworked.

We didn't care. All we wanted was a home for the 7MGTE.

And what a home it was. The original paint still shined. No Rust, no rot, no dents or real dings, not even and paint oxidation. Absolutely GORGEOUS. The interior was in fantastic condition considering 28 years of existence. The project started off with motivation and energy. We soon discovered that you need one more element to play with old Toyotas. Money. We had none left in the budget and we booth has new and more pressing things come up in our lives. So the car sat. It slept in the garage for way to long.

Almost three years pass.
The cash flow and time became available and the dream came back alive. It’s no longer a dream but an unhealthy obsession with me right now. The project has been split into two parts. The co—owner has the shell and is restoring and renewing. I have the motor.

Want to see the head?

The block is with the machinist being bored for some new pistons and the head is decked, reworked and waiting. Most of the pieces are in place for when the block gets back. The major thing that need to be done is the wiring. I was hoping to have a member here do it for me; i even spoke with him last winter about it but the company i worked for went under and bought food with the money instead. Unfortunately for me he has taken a well earned hiatus from CS so I’m stuck doing it myself. I’m more than capable, I’m a electro mechanical tech at L-3 Wescam but can’t get my hands on schematics. I would much rather pay someone else to do it for me. Anyone have a suggestion? The pieces are in place to button this thing up this winter. I’ll keep you informed on the progress is anyone is interested. Sorry about the novel.
Oh yeah the pictures.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It’s no longer a dream but an unhealthy obsession with me right now.
I couldnt have said it any better! im living that right now my self. I feel like a crack head when im down bottles to by the next part i need because i already spent my budget for that pay period!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Lookin good. I'm not sure you want to hear this, but I can send you the schematics. Also would offer my help for any of your wiring Qs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Lookin good. I'm not sure you want to hear this, but I can send you the schematics. Also would offer my help for any of your wiring Qs.
I sent you a pm last week. I would love to get my hands on diagrams. The solder iron is hot!

Can anyone else shed some light on how to get my hands on these or point me in the direction of someone who will build a subharness? 82 and grey plug 7m.

The block's back so i better add a pic.

·
Registered
906 Posts
82 = you need to upgrade to an 83+ "preferably 84+ 130mph" speedo, if you want a check engine light/internal diagnostics ..... which, also add some to the wiring "among other things".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
82 = you need to upgrade to an 83+ "preferably 84+ 130mph" speedo, if you want a check engine light/internal diagnostics ..... which, also add some to the wiring "among other things".
Interesting. I'm going to have to look into this. Why would that be? The only downside to that is I will lose the original odometer. I had no hopes of a functional diagnostics port but that would be extremely helpful. You wouldn't happen to know someone with an 84+ speedo ;)?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Interesting. I'm going to have to look into this. Why would that be? The only downside to that is I will lose the original odometer. I had no hopes of a functional diagnostics port but that would be extremely helpful. You wouldn't happen to know someone with an 84+ speedo ;)?
changing the odometer reading is no massive PITA
I just did mine,
hit me up and ill let you know how (dont want to publish info on something that will help people commit fraud)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had no hopes of a functional diagnostics port but that would be extremely helpful. You wouldn't happen to know someone with an 84+ speedo ;)?
I wouldn't put one together, without the diagnostic = why I mentioned it :)

Only 130 speedo I have right now is from and auto, which = it has ECT lights that would be noticable. Some people don't care, some do. If you don't, get in contact, sure we can work something out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a long hyatus I turned this bad boy over!

The good is that it turns over. It starts, the engine catches. The bad is it dies right after I let go of the starter. My first thought was that the timing was 180 deg out of time but it checked out ok. The CPS is set (drilled mark to the slot and then put in, i know it's a helical cut gear so it spins when it goes in, do i need to compensate for that?). It's obviously getting spark and fuel because it catches for a second. I went through my vacuum lines and they seems alright, no obvious big leaks. I'm at a loss. I'm about ready to give it up. Any thoughts, speculations or otherwise comments? I'm so damn close....

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
Sounds like fuel pump wiring. Jumper the fuel pump check connector from original 82 body harness wiring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts