Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Ultrarnr89 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the forums here. I picked up a 1982 L-Type with a blown 5M-GE (Parts of the block are blown off). I'm in the middle of rebuilding the W58 and was looking between a few options for engines. I was thinking about either a 1JZ or a 1UZ and I found a really good deal on a 1UZ. I know that swap is common and please link me to another thread if this has already been asked but the engine is a rear sump motor so I was wondering if I would need to swap it to front sump or if it could be made to go in like it is. Thanks guys.

#5 ·
It can and has been done, very well or sketchy at best. THE best example is probably this:

#8 ·
I don't know where you are located, but I'm cleaning out my garage here in Tulsa, OK. I've got a rebuilt '85 5M-GE I'd let go for $650. The guy had the engine and tranny rebuilt. Supposedly he only drove it about 10 miles when 3rd gear went out. he got pissed off, pawned the car. A guy I know bought the car and parted it out. Money back guarantee if it is returned to me. It will need new injectors, I'm sure.

#13 ·
Sorry to dig this thread back up. OP, have you made any progress on the UZ swap (if that's the direction you went)? I have the same 82 l-type (ironically mine was originally silver, but the prior owner sprayed it the same color as yours) with blown transmission but running low mileage 5m, and I plan to put together the 1UZ I acquired into it over the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.