Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK it's not ebay, but maybe allowed here nevertheless.

Autoscout24 in France has a nice 1982 MA61 on offer, for 24.000 Euros, quite steep:

Toyota Celica MA61 MOTEUR 2.8I 170CV

It is claimed to have a refurbished engine, gas tank, stainless steel exhaust, new Monroe dampers etc, still a bit much imho, given that it is admittedly nice, but not original.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Nice paint for sure, and mouldings looks nice. A bit darker Terra Cotta. Seems like it's missing wooden board in the trunk. Pretty rare in France.
May be @guido has friends looking for one !

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Nice paint for sure, and mouldings looks nice. A bit darker Terra Cotta. Seems like it's missing wooden board in the trunk. Pretty rare in France.
May be @guido has friends looking for one !
I don't think that the Europeans got the wooden deck. I've seen others like that.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct, we Euros didn't get the wooden deck (and neither the oil pressure gauge).

The whitewall tires look strange on that car though.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Even in Canada, we never got the 85 mph dashboards. Ours were km/h and mph as well.
I suspect in Europe, the speedometer would spend most of it's time pegged if they had the 85 mph dashboard.
Only in America...

Reactions: 1982 Dragon and Zoe

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, actually here in good ole Germany the road code requires the speedo to go the full way. I had a heck of an argument when having my 1979 Cad tech inspected for road registration, since it has that 85 mph Speedo. Took three attempts at three different places to find one who - having a like for American cars - decided not to spot and document it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Wow!
A government that says your speedometer should go higher, not lower!

I was reading "In 1978 as a kind of gentlemen's agreement between the German government and the country's car industry, German automakers then limited their high-performance cars to a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph), a rule that is still adhered to today for standard production cars ".
I can only dream..."I'm sorry sir, but your speedometer must go to at LEAST 155 mph.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The discussion was really funny in a way, but showed the stubbornness of typical German officials.
I argued the speedo covers all sorts of speed limits that exist here in Germany. Didn't count as I wouldn't know how fast I was driving when flooring it. I said listen, this car is not for racing, this car is for cruising, 140kph is more than enough for cruising. With a car like that you don't want to go as fast as you can, you want to cherish the time spent in a Cadillac, just take it easy and you'll arrive totally relaxed! No, didn't count....

But to bring back some Supra relevance: I once had a bf living in a town maybe 60 miles from my place, connected by, you guessed it, a piece of Autobahn. He owned a MkIII turbo and I my first MkII (we actually met over the shared like of Supras!). Back then it was really a matter of "cruising" at 200 kmh (or more with the MkIII), especially at night.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first Supra had the digital dash, and I actually achieved the magic "222" on the display! Poor engine, that was really at the redline and you noticed that it had a hard time breathing at over 5000 or so. In any case, the cooling was adequate for full power lasting more than a few minutes.

We all get older, and like I have trouble breathing today, I don't torment my second Supra like that anymore, it is nearly 40 years old now. At 4000 rpm it runs about 160 kph iirc and that is cool enough for me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
[QUOTE="Zoe, post: 1339021, member: 425"

We all get older, and like I have trouble breathing today, I don't torment my second Supra like that anymore, it is nearly 40 years old now. At 4000 rpm it runs about 160 kph iirc and that is cool enough for me.
[/QUOTE]

Zoe, you are so wrong. We do not get older, we get more mature....
It sounds more sophisticated!

Well, perhaps 'physically more mature' is what I would use to describe myself.
If you average my mental age and my physical age, I am 36.

The car looks like it's in very nice shape. In North America, because of the lack of the add-on fender flares, this would be called an L-Type. It's interesting to see that it has the adjustable style seats from the P-Type in it.

Another question that has probably been answered many times before, but I'm mature so I forget things is: Is the temperature control the same as the electro-mechanical type found on North American models?
The temperature control on European vehicles use the red/blue markings to indicate heat/cold. In Canada, there are actual Degree C markings. The temperature control switch also has an 'Auto' mode that will adjust fan speed and flapper door to reach the actual setpoint with a negative feedback loop.

This is a nice combination of the L and P types in any event. Except for the white wall tires, very elegant.

Dale

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The temp control depends whether you have factory A/C or not. If not (I think most Euro models did not come with factory A/C) you have the red/blue markings and of course there is no "auto" position as there is no automatic climate control.

My first Supra had A/C but no full automatic climate control. There was just a push button to switch on the A/C; you still dialled in warmer / colder with the heat/cold slider (cold obviously then meant COLD).

I don't think I've seen a European model Supra with fender flares, but then they were rare even when new so I probably missed a few of them :)

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
UK cars are full blown P types, and some other countries too. Very few (if any) in France. @guido probably knows.
My canadian Ptype never exceed 207 kph on the digidash, and I did floor it a few times!
@Zoe, ever lived in Canada?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nah, I just once stayed in Montreal for a conference a few days maybe 20 years ago. Always wanted to go though. I spent a few summers in south east England as a kid, and once actually considered moving to SoCal once; otherwise I'm pretty much potted in here, at least physically.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
I tagged you, the question above was about if there has been any "P type" sold in France?
I beleive thay were reffered to as type 1 (without flares) and type 2 (with flares).

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes ,in fact celica supra mk2 were sold under to different package
From 82 to 84 with analog dash without flare
From 84 to mid 85 with digidash and with flare
We call them phase 1 and phase 2 instead of p-type and l-type

1 - 20 of 21 Posts