Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here goes. This is the car I found at a used car lot in CT.
Some of the options included are things I didn't know the supra ever had and I'm wondering if this is some kind of unique find
for $1000.

1982 Supra
black with (five?) white pinstripes in bent pattern on the side
automatic
cruise control
sunroof
rear louvers
am/fm tape w/graphic equalizer
power sunroof
cruise control
power windows and door locks

Get this with the interior....white with pinstripes...WTF? Was that ever original or is it some fubar reupholstering job the previous owner did?

Also, wondering if the auto trans is any good. The car has a little rust but the 5MGE in it sounds awesome. Doesn't appear to be leaking oil or anything either.

I kinda plan to buy it, but if this is any kind of collector's item I don't want to mess it up by not keeping it original.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
you can do better than $1000, i'm sure. of course, check for rust EVERYWHERE! how many miles are on it?

i'm not sure about the pinstriping stuff... sounds odd.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
How many miles is on it?

It sounds like a decent deal really. I would say the stripes and interior would have been an owner-done job. The louvers and the Stereo were availabvle stock..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can do better than $1000, i'm sure. of course, check for rust EVERYWHERE! how many miles are on it?

i'm not sure about the pinstriping stuff... sounds odd.

It has a little bit of rust around the edges of th rims and a couple places near the windows, other than that, ok. needs paint on the hood.

115,000 miles on it

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me, but those pinstripes sound pretty funny if you don't like em, scrap em, they were not original. If the tranny was taken good car of then it should be in decent condition.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
go drive it...

if it drives nice and you like it, then get it :)

pinstripes might be ok, but not ever white on black :twisted:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Okay, will list out everything here.

>black with (five?) white pinstripes in bent pattern on the side

The pinstripes can either be a owner add on, or it was a dealer option. I've seen the dealer option stripes before. W/O a picture of the stripes, I can't tell. If you get a picture, then I'll know right away.

>automatic

Manufacture option. 5-speed was standard, automatic was extra cost option (but not that much more).

>cruise control

Standard feature (unless you are one of those AUS 5-speed guys that didn't get the CC).

>sunroof

Manufacture option, ASSUMING that it is the power sliding sunroof & not some aftermarket pop-up moonroof. The sunroof is one of the few options that you could have ordered. Yes, there are MKII's that are hardtops w/ no sunroof.

>rear louvers

Either a dealer option or a aftermarket item. If they are the Toyota Shadow louvers, than this is indeed a dealer installed option. Anything else is a aftermarket item.

>am/fm tape w/graphic equalizer

The Fujitsu 10 stereo system w/ the 7-band EQ was actually a option on our MKII's, but the majority seem to have them.

>power windows and door locks

Standard item.

>Get this with the interior....white with pinstripes...WTF? Was that ever >original or is it some fubar reupholstering job the previous owner did?

Repholstering job. White was never a standard interior color (I have ALL of the US Spec MKII Sales Brochures).

115K miles for only $1K US??? Test drive it & buy it, if it checks out good. The pinstripe thing is a bit questionable & the interior is definitely NOT factory stock anymore, but everything else seems fine.

Let us know how this goes.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
>Get this with the interior....white with pinstripes...WTF? Was that ever >original or is it some fubar reupholstering job the previous owner did?

Repholstering job. White was never a standard interior color (I have ALL of the US Spec MKII Sales Brochures).

I think this is a matter of perception...white stripes on black or black stripes on white. My 82 has white stripes on black (at least thats how I see them) but someone else might see it the other way.

-Wil

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just bought my 83 for 75 bucks, intake cam locked up so i spent an afternoon in the local junkyard pulled head for 50 bucks. that and machine work i'm into this car 225 bucks. not to shabby. well the original reason i posted was that my 83 has the pin stripe interior as well. horribly tacky. i wonder why where the only one's with the pinstripe interior?

·
Registered
178 Posts
cheap83 said:
i just bought my 83 for 75 bucks, intake cam locked up so i spent an afternoon in the local junkyard pulled head for 50 bucks. that and machine work i'm into this car 225 bucks. not to shabby. well the original reason i posted was that my 83 has the pin stripe interior as well. horribly tacky. i wonder why where the only one's with the pinstripe interior?
I think you answered your own question with this one with the "horribly tacky" comment. :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
MK2inCT said:
Alright here goes. This is the car I found at a used car lot in CT.Get this with the interior....white with pinstripes...WTF? Was that ever original or is it some fubar reupholstering job the previous owner did?
I had an 84 that had cloth interior that was "pin striped". I have seen several parts in the local yards that had interior like that. It wasn't the entire interior either, just selections of it. Mostly in the center of the seats and on the door panels.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Wil,

I'm "speculating" that MK2inCT was maybe saying that he has a white interior, rather than the usual dark colored ones. Yes, pictures would help in this case, to clear up this confusion.

And yes, for those of you that have the Cloth pinstripes... The 84's are BOLDER than the 82 - 83's. I don't mind them, if anything, I prefer them to the Cloth herringbone material for the 85 - 86's. But that's just me, the majority seems to prefer the 85+ Cloth material.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Silver 84 came with pinstriped seats and door panels. Dark blue on the sides and light blue with dark pinstripes in the center of the seats and backs, same on the door panels. Is that tacky, I always thought it looked cool. I haven't seen the inside of too many Supras now that I think about it, was my setup not the norm back then?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts