Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a 1982 model, you may know the vacuum advance unit is not available anywhere. There does exist an option, in that there are a few rebuilt distributors floating around. I just bought one from ebay, the cheapest one I could find. (Was a little nervous about that). It's remanufactured by Arrow and there is at least one left. The vacuum advance unit is a Nippon Denso branded piece, and I imagine for the price, that's what a vacuum unit alone would cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-TOYOTA-SUPRA-2-8-5MGE-REBUILT-DISTRIBUTOR-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d24795597QQitemZ400043890071QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I see Rock Auto also has a few rebuilt distributors available too. If all you need is the vacuum advance unit, it's held on by one screw and one e-clip. Easy to slip onto your existing distributor, which is what I did, but next weekend, I think I'll go ahead and swap out the entire distributor, because the unit appears to be a high quality rebuild all around, and it's obviously a Toyota core with quality replacement parts. Possibly all of the Nippon Denso.

The lower diaphragm is the one that usually goes, as that is the one that is pulled the most. A malfunctioning or busted vacuum advance unit will definitely affect your acceleration in a negative way.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Hmmm, maybe something to add to the parts stock. It is getting to be a pain tracking what parts on what cars now that I have 3 running (MSS). When I only had the 84 it was easier.

Then there is the Cressy I'm thinking of picking up from the lady a few block away that hasn't run in 7 years (low oil = seized). I'd have it already but she can't find her title ($25 lost title fee, being cheap).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts