Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, my transmission is now out of my car because I had the wrong clutch fork. Fresh from the factory almost 37 years ago, now with 250k miles but still shifting fine.

I have a second unit from an SC300, so it's a steel sandwich plate model, easily verified by a big rust red stripe around it's belly. I bought it "in need of input shaft repair" with the bell housing attached for less than the cost of a bell housing, so it's just spare goodies. Reportedly broken goodies, but goodies nonetheless. As of now I plan to mate it to a 1UZ for my pickup...eventually.

I thought I could drop them off at a tranny shop and pay some nominal fee to get their opinion, but apparently not. The best reputed shop in town told me if they open it to look around, they rebuild it, and if I decline to go for the rebuild, I get it back in pieces. I don't think he was blowing smoke but IDK, I am pretty clueless about transmissions so they may as well have gnomes and wizards inside that need rebuilt if seen by human eyes.

Do I fork out about $600 on a rebuild for the 82?
Do I just pop in a shiftgasm bushing, service it and be on my merry way?
My swap is only going to clock in at 200hp so it's not like I'm gonna nuke it with power.

It's a better time than ever to rebuild since it's already out it but I'm hard pressed to call it necessary.

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
If it works and shifts good I'd find it tough to justify rebuilding it. It's kind of a crapshoot if someone is going to make it better rebuilding it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Long story short, my transmission is now out of my car because I had the wrong clutch fork. Fresh from the factory almost 37 years ago, now with 250k miles but still shifting fine.

I have a second unit from an SC300, so it's a steel sandwich plate model, easily verified by a big rust red stripe around it's belly. I bought it "in need of input shaft repair" with the bell housing attached for less than the cost of a bell housing, so it's just spare goodies. Reportedly broken goodies, but goodies nonetheless. As of now I plan to mate it to a 1UZ for my pickup...eventually.

I thought I could drop them off at a tranny shop and pay some nominal fee to get their opinion, but apparently not. The best reputed shop in town told me if they open it to look around, they rebuild it, and if I decline to go for the rebuild, I get it back in pieces. I don't think he was blowing smoke but IDK, I am pretty clueless about transmissions so they may as well have gnomes and wizards inside that need rebuilt if seen by human eyes.

Do I fork out about $600 on a rebuild for the 82?
Do I just pop in a shiftgasm bushing, service it and be on my merry way?
My swap is only going to clock in at 200hp so it's not like I'm gonna nuke it with power.

It's a better time than ever to rebuild since it's already out it but I'm hard pressed to call it necessary.
Does it make noise?
Is the oil full of metal?
Does it shift badly?

If the answer to these questions is NO, then I really don't consider it a wise investment of time or money to get it rebuilt.

If then consider replace any leaking seals and put it back in your car..

The shift bushings are handy to do if you have it out, but if it shifts good as is, then do you really want to mess with it?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I nabbed the upgraded bushing. Will give it a nice bath and a service and that bushing and call it good.

Thanks for saving me many hundreds of dollars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts