Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I haven't posted here in years due to combined laziness and not remembering my password, but here i am! If you're wondering the history on this car, i saved it from the scrapyard in summer 2013; you can read about all that here ---> https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?74405-Naxxhorns-Supra-restoration!

Basic run down of the last 4 years is basically this: It's my first car, I was 16 at the time of writing that thread. It kick-started my fascination with cars as a whole. I owe this car so much. Since getting it; I've owned countless other Japanese sports cars (1988 RX7 GTU, 1981 Toyota Starlet, 1989 MK3 Supra, and most recently a 2001 MR2 Spyder). However these cars have all come and gone, I have made an agreement with myself that my MA61 is my first love, and I'll never be able to part with it.

I owned it from 243,000 Miles and did everything i could to keep it on the road. I manual swapped the car in 2015, I messed around with it here-and-there with the small amount of money i was making at my part time job in high school, but after 3 years and 34,000 typical miles of reckless teenage boy driving, the "suicide" hose blew out and the engine got hot; that was that.

The trusty all original 5M began to knock. HARD.. In the process of trying to limp it home it barely made it a mile down the road before totally seizing up. I welded the #1 bearing and badly spun few more. My beloved supra was dead.

This all took place in December 2016

I immediately got a plan in action to bring her back and better than ever. I picked up a low mileage '87 supra 7MGE from a guy that yanked it for a 2j transplant. It was ideal, as it was cheap and my budget allowed for it.

I got to work on making it fit the mk2. I swapped the mounts, picked up a cheap header, swapped the front sump oil pan, catch, and dipstick with the 5m's (after a thorough cleaning of course), and got to work getting it in the car.

February 2017; success! the engine was in the car!

This is where things took a turn for the worst. I buttoned up everything i knew i could hook up. I spliced the coil wires from the 5m dizzy to the 7m's, i spliced the alternator wiring in; got the starter to turn over, and the car sounds like it wants to start. The starter will turn the engine over, it'll burp and make some sounds of life, but never ever fire.

This is where I've been stuck at for almost 2 years. The car is currently collecting dust in a storage unit, and I'm so tired of seeing it sit and rot. I'm sure at this point that the gas and all the fluids have gone bad, but i want nothing more than to figure out if i can actually get this thing to crank. I can go into further detail upon replies, but I've tried many things to get this thing to run. Everything seems like a dead end. Unfortunately, wiring is totally beyond my area of expertise. I feel completely hopeless, and I've simply invested too much time in this swap to give up and go back to running the car as a 5M. I know people will say an NA 7MGE was not worth it, but its what i want for this car.

So please, If there is anyone within reasonable distance of Wake Forest NC that would be willing to help me get my beloved car at least running good enough to take down the road again; I'd be very very grateful. i feel like I've tried all i can, at the end of the day I'm just a 20 year old college student. Any replies are appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't offer any technical help here, but I have many questions. lol I'm digging some of these subtle mods you've added. Nissan Pulsar rear signal covers? Custom plexi-glass on the front fogs and signals? What is the additional red lens for on the rear bumper? If you've got more pictures, I'd love to see 'em!

Best of luck getting the 7M doing what it's supposed to. I've considered this swap myself. Interested to see what you think about it. Also, how long did it take you to do the swap to manual? Worth it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice car man. I was a 20 year college student once and I had a mk3 supra at the time. I spent way too much money and time on it. These cars are not for the faint of heart. I hope you have another relaible daily driver. That was my mistake. Anyway focus on school and getting a career for yourself. Im serious you will have plenty of time to play with your mk2. And you will have a lot more money too. If this is just a side project to work on free time then cool. But if you're like me I get obsessed with my car. And it can get out of control quick.

Im off my soap box now. Are you using the engines harness from the mk3 n/a car and matching ecu? Thats the easiest way to wire it up. And you'll have to adapt the mk2 body harness with engine harness. There's several threads on how to do this. I have a 7mgte in my mk2. I made a sub harness that adapts the mk2 body with the 7m engine harness. Sounds like you already moved the alternator wire. You will also need to trigger the mk2 fuel pump. You connect which i believe is the FC signal from the 7m ecu to the fuel pump test connector by the old 5m Afm. Yellow plug. I ran my own wire from the ecu to this plug. What really helps is the toyota electrical wiring diagrams for the year of your motor and the year of your car. They are online. Here is the mk3 TEWD. I don't remember where the mk2 diagrams are located. I have the physical books. Worth every penny.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/

You need fuel, spark and air to make it run. Get a multimeter and make sure you get power to the dizzy and all other sensors after you make all the connections I mention above.

Good luck!
Nick

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Wow....never seen that ski rack!!

Being a skier, I would have loved one of those when the MkII was my daily driver.

Good luck with the swap. I'm sure you'll get it running. The mechanicals are easy, the wiring is the PITA.

·
Registered
118 Posts
@whitey842 Lol college kid here too. I get obsessed with my supra and quickly forget that if i dont focus on school then ill be working some minimum wage job and will have to part ways with my mk2 instead of restoring it... haha thats my motivation for school at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts