Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My First post here. Let me give you a breif overview of what we are doing.

Dirt Track racing with a 4cyl 84' Celica. We bought an after market 410 rear gear and placed it in the pumkin. AFAIK the 4cyl rears are 6.25" in diameter.

A local scrap yard has a Celica Supra (has the lettering on rear, so that make it what above 84?). We want to know if the Supra rear with axels and all will mount in a standard Celica. Our 410 is too high for the car right now, we just spin tired like crazy and for some reason we are stuck at 6grand mark for RPMs. So we are looking at getting a 390 in the housing so we can swap rears, but that is a bit pricey, and this Supra might be more econmic (are class is a low-cost entry level racing division).

I personally know jack about cars, and I just happened to see the Supra and read on here that they have varing gears. I noticed they are 7.5" so that will probably screw it up. But if all mounts, tie ins, etc are the same, this Supra has the entire rear in it, so I will take every bit of it.

Thanks for any help!

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Are you running a Celica GT or GTS? because the Supra has independant rear suspension, and the Celica GT does not, I imagine it would be easier to hook up a GTS with a Supra rear end then installing IRS on a live axle car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh yeah that WOULD be a problem, that blows that idea. We are not that mechanically inclined. I didnt know it had IRS, the car wascovere in 4 foot weeds and I never bothered to inspect it very well.

Would anyone know if any Celica came with a 373 or 390 gear?

Yes it is a GT, and thanks for the fast responce :)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The solid axle 82-85 celicas are all 3.42 as far as I know. The bad news is the car is a slug, but it will do 45 in first gear LOL!!!! Where did you get the 4.30 from? Corolla GT-S? If you can find one the first generation supra 1979-1981 used a solid axle that is a direct bolt on for the 82-5 celica but has the 7.5" ring gear that will allow you some more options including 3.73 and 3.90.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
As has been mentioned, some Celica's have a live axle while others have IRS like the Supra. If your Celica has a live axle, it will have a T series diff centre (6.7") while the Supra has an F series (7.5"). Obviously these are not compatible.

If your Celica has IRS, it will either have a T series or an F series centre. If it's an F series, it will be a direct swap with a Supra centre. If it's a T series, you'll have to swap in the entire Supra rear subframe.

Hope that made sense...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
you can swap the 79-81 supra rear end in the solid axle 84 GT I believe...

84 GT solid axle is a fun car for drag...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Why would you have to change the entire Supra sub frame. If you have IRS suspension in a Celica. Then all you should have to swap is the F type rearend and the Crossmember that it bolts up to. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm planning on doing this swap myself. From what I can see. To change the T type to a F type. It looks like I will only need the F type rearend and crossmember. My car is an 85 Celica and some of them came with the F type rearends. Unfortunatly mine did not. I've seen on the Celica GTS site that he swapped the entire Supra suspension. But I'm thinking he use the entire suspension. Because he wanted the rear disc brakes. Which his car did not have.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
T vs F is the upper bolts and there respective quantity and location.T has 3 upper bolts "very top of diff" and the F has 4.IIRC the bolt holes are a different height,and possibly different location. "have not worked on celica for awhile,using old memories from my days as a dismantler" HTH

·
Registered
417 Posts
Junkie said:
T vs F is the upper bolts and there respective quantity and location.T has 3 upper bolts "very top of diff" and the F has 4.IIRC the bolt holes are a different height,and possibly different location. "have not worked on celica for awhile,using old memories from my days as a dismantler" HTH
Ok so what are you saying? In my post I said I would change the upper crossmember that the top of the F type rearend would bolt to. I know the crossmembers will interchange. So if I change the upper crossmember. Will the F type rearend work. With the rest of my stock IRS Celica suspension?

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
dynamic73 said:
Junkie said:
Ok so what are you saying? In my post I said I would change the upper crossmember that the top of the F type rearend would bolt to. I know the crossmembers will interchange. So if I change the upper crossmember. Will the F type rearend work. With the rest of my stock IRS Celica suspension?
Yep.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ok great!!! I thought it would work with the rest of my Celica suspension. I don't want to change the whole sub frame from the Supra. My car only has 58,xxx miles on it. So my IRS stuff is in really good shape. All I want is the F type rearend and LSD. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts