Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not familiar with this car, but am willing to learn if lead in the right direction.
Current problems that I need to fix is (1)Cruise control is not working (2) When I accelerated from an idle at a stop light, alot of white smoke came out of my exhaust.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sorry, you asked for it:zzzzz::

Use the hell out of this thing (TSRM http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?Section=IN&Page=1), and if you look around enough, someone may still have it in the downloadable PDF file.

Actually spend quite a bit of time in the Tech section, pretty much you should find all your questions answered.

As for the CC not working, could be quite a few things: fuse, computer, vac line, broken cable, also read through here: http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=39393&highlight=cruise+control

White smoke is sign of coolant, and impending BHG (Blow Head Gasket)

·
Registered
365 Posts
i was comparing my car to others, and realize im missing this, whats supose to be here and whats its purpose
<p>http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4999/dsc01568bs.jpg
That's where the manual idle adjust screw is, on the throttle body. It is basically an air bypass, to feed in unregulated air into the mixture.

It is suppose to not be used on an '85, it's there as a carryover from models before that did not regulate the mixture with the ECU. The screw inside the is suppose to be tightened in all the way so that the ECU along with the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) regulate idle speed automatically. Over time, to compensate for non issues, previous owners/mechanics may have opened it up.

You say you don't have this, post a picture of what you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where the manual idle adjust screw is, on the throttle body. It is basically an air bypass, to feed in unregulated air into the mixture.

It is suppose to not be used on an '85, it's there as a carryover from models before that did not regulate the mixture with the ECU. The screw inside the is suppose to be tightened in all the way so that the ECU along with the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) regulate idle speed automatically. Over time, to compensate for non issues, previous owners/mechanics may have opened it up.

You say you don't have this, post a picture of what you have.
the picture shown is mine

·
Registered
365 Posts
the picture shown is mine
...so that's a typical '85 throttle body.
What do you think you are missing, or what do you think is suppose to be, there?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I am a little confused also, you say it is missing, but you circled it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
White smoke is prob. going to be oil or coolant (mine smokes upon start up due to hardened valve seals that I haven't had a chance to have replaced since putting in my 6mge, but my smoke goes away after a couple minutes of running.) Also, please be more specific, does your car do this every time you excellerate from a stop? Does it do it only under full throttle? Does the problem go away after its ran a while? Cruise not working could be vac. related or it could be the cruise unit itself. I'd check your vacuum lines and make sure they're all fitting tight still. I had one a few winters ago that kept popping off it's spot, when it did, I lost heat and cruise... it was the perfect time to change them all out, one at a time.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...so that's a typical '85 throttle body.
What do you think you are missing, or what do you think is suppose to be, there?
I am a little confused also, you say it is missing, but you circled it.
i thought theres supose to be a hose connected to it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
White smoke is prob. going to be oil or coolant (mine smokes upon start up due to hardened valve seals that I haven't had a chance to have replaced since putting in my 6mge, but my smoke goes away after a couple minutes of running.) Also, please be more specific, does your car do this every time you excellerate from a stop? Does it do it only under full throttle? Does the problem go away after its ran a while? Cruise not working could be vac. related or it could be the cruise unit itself. I'd check your vacuum lines and make sure they're all fitting tight still. I had one a few winters ago that kept popping off it's spot, when it did, I lost heat and cruise... it was the perfect time to change them all out, one at a time.
It only smokes when under full throttle, and yes problem goes away, and i am not familiar with vac lines.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Nope all is well.

PS Everything I learned from this forum is on here. I just had to read almost all the threads going back all the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts