Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
You doing anything with the faded door pink handles? Mine look the same even though the rest of the interior is almost perfect. Drives me crazy. I've tried Magic Erasers and a few interior cleaners/conditioners with minimal gains. Not sure if dye or paint is the next step as I haven't researched those much yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You doing anything with the faded door pink handles? Mine look the same even though the rest of the interior is almost perfect. Drives me crazy. I've tried Magic Erasers and a few interior cleaners/conditioners with minimal gains. Not sure if dye or paint is the next step as I haven't researched those much yet.
LMAO, ive been wondering that, the way most of the plastics have survived is pretty outstanding.....................................except; the door handles, the actual switch toggle part of the cruise and rear window heater, and the tip of the right stalk, not the whole lot, just the tip, that must have taken some doing ;)

lm going to swap out the switches as and when they come around, no idea with the handles, but i think painting some kind is probably the only option as for the stalk, i think i will leave that well alone. Before i mess with it im going to let a another Guy look at it as im thinking of having the seats dyed as the tops of the backs and sides of the fronts are pretty bleached , he might have some door handle ideas

DSCN0456.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Looking good.

We stay at a chalet on the ski mountain in Vernon so the heat isn't so bad.
Thanks, haven't done much in the past few days, waiting on a timing belt, tensioner, seals, pump and other goodies, so the closest im getting to driving is doing a ''Charlie Watts'', except i cannot even start it now, no thermostat LOL

Still haven't found any Bubba, but theres time. While sorting out the dead side lights i found a LED install, but to be fair, its too neat to be true Bub.

Its not the heat, that whole part of the province is a zoo in the summer and at it worst in the school holidays, but the urge to learn more about 1GZ swaps in the flesh may win.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Button each side of the cluster can be taken apart and painted. BTDT. Good result.Think I used Krylon satin black. Have not done my door handles, but since they are black, I could use same receipe. Burgandy is harder to find. For blue, SEM have a great match.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
hmmm yes, if Mike can get his v12 road worthy in time, we might be able to lure him up our way.

Vernon is MUCH better then Kelowna for traffic and general insanity in the summer. And the road to the ski mountain is almost always near deserted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
hmmm yes, if Mike can get his v12 road worthy in time, we might be able to lure him up our way.

Vernon is MUCH better then Kelowna for traffic and general insanity in the summer. And the road to the ski mountain is almost always near deserted.
Silver Star Resort?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
EGR Cleaning ....and other stuff

Pulled apart some of the intake and EGR systems today;

l was surprised how clean the intake was, ive only cleaned more recent engines and they have been way way worse ( 05 Hemi Jeep, 05 GX470) P_20190516_125337 (1).jpg . l cleaned both sides and the back of the intake with carb cleaner, soft brush and rags, i had a feel before hand and it wasnt much.

Some bits came in so i changed the thermostat and passenger side engine mount.

l also cleaned some of the EGR system using Driftins guide

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?44651-How-to-clean-out-your-EGR-system-(56k-beware)&highlight=clean+throttle+body

l did not strip the entire system, i did the plenum channels from the top and end as per the guide, the top hole was maybe 1/4 blocked and the horizontal channel not much, it came off with carb cleaner. l replaced the cotton filters as well.

The results were impressive, the idle used to fluctuate between 700 and 900rpm and a lot, now steady as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-su2XfS5BM&feature=youtu.be

Next, the timing belt and the ''rest of the band'', really looking forward to the motor with a serviceable tensioner bearing.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
Did you check if the PCV system was working? The port on the TB for it might just be plugged, hence how clean it is. The EGR dumps behind the the TB, but the PCV can gum up that plate... when its working.

Either way I'd say someone has cleaned it recently

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Did you check if the PCV system was working? The port on the TB for it might just be plugged, hence how clean it is. The EGR dumps behind the the TB, but the PCV can gum up that plate... when its working.

Either way I'd say someone has cleaned it recently
Thanks for the heads up!
To be honest, i did a search found it didn't have a PCV valve, being it now idles great i called that job good.....................

ls the hose in the first picture i one that needs checking? The vac lines are very supple, but ive got a good idea of what will happen when i start yanking on them.

Also, is there anything supposed to go on where i'm pointing in the second pic?

Thankyouverymuch

P_20190522_184031.jpg P_20190522_184038.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
To be honest, i did a search found it didn't have a PCV valve, being it now idles great i called that job good.....................

ls the hose in the first picture i one that needs checking? The vac lines are very supple, but ive got a good idea of what will happen when i start yanking on them.

Also, is there anything supposed to go on where i'm pointing in the second pic?

Thankyouverymuch

View attachment 8065 View attachment 8067
No to your 2nd question, that steel hose is solid as I recall.

As for the PCV, sorry, I shouldn't have said valve, their is indeed none on these cars, but the thicker hose coming of the valve cover is the PCV feed line. Where it attaches to the TB is where it, and the little passage into the TB is what tends to get clogged.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Timing belt, the easy way

Finally got the correct metric bolts to adapt my puller to get the crank pulley off safely. Replaced the timing belt, tensioner, spring, cam seals, crank seal, water pump, fan etc .

lt is not necessary to remove the rocker cover and all that performance.

line the cam pulleys up as you would, then tipex on the belt lined up with the dots on the cam gears, then put a line on the timing pulley and belt at around the 9 oclock.

Slip the belt off and copy the marks onto the new belt, you will want 25 ridges between the cam marks and 66 ridges from the left cam mark to the pulley mark.

Then reinstall lining up your tip ex marks, and reassemble as normal. This isnt my idea, its a Ducati trick, but it works none the less.

Also managed to lower the idle speed after it went up following a through cleaning.

Tomorrow insurance and a nice long drive............................................

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
The rocker cover? You mean the valve cover? That isn't necessary if you've set the cams in the right spot before taking the belt off. Its actually dead simple, you just pull spark plug number one, and rotate the crank till its at 0 deg on the lower cover before you remove the pulley, and piston #1 is at TDC. Done, no extra marks necessary.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The rocker cover? You mean the valve cover? That isn't necessary if you've set the cams in the right spot before taking the belt off. Its actually dead simple, you just pull spark plug number one, and rotate the crank till its at 0 deg on the lower cover before you remove the pulley, and piston #1 is at TDC. Done, no extra marks necessary.
No i meant rocker cover, i speak English not colonial, what you call rockers are correctly in the civilized world known as sills. l apologize for showing another method that works fine safely and simply on this as well as my GX470 and Bikes, i was trying to share some experience, i have now learned my lesson several times and will not bother you again. ..........and you actually wonder why your forum is dead.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I think there is a case of "over-reaction" here.
SupraFiend was just trying to use the words that are commonly used in this forum to describe the part. I would have given the same remarks.
You are welcome to stay and update this tread about your work on this car.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
Sills.... still nope, here in Southern BC, most of North America, and Japan, we refer to those as valve covers....

Jeeze dude, you really offend easy. Our forum is suffering from the Facebook groups splintering the membership, like just about every other car forum currently.

The factory manual is online btw, I was simply quoting the way to do it as designed by the engineers who built the car...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/

There are certainly cars out there that don't have proper markings and make a simple timing belt job excessively complex and your method would work well on them. Ours just isn't one of them, and I simply pointed it out.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts