Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Recently, I was able to purchase a 1986 MK2 Celica Supra. The car is original but has some wear and tear. Besides a damaged (driverside) front panel the rest of the body is pretty solid. It came equipped with an automatic transmission that did not engage. The engine starts and seems to run without any concerns. That is a section of the car that hasn't been covered thoroughly. The vehicle does have a salvage title due to the fender being damaged. From my understanding, and after a visual inspection, the damage is all on the fender panel. The seller made a claim with the insurance company and let the car sit afterward. I have a bill of sale. Waiting on a title from the seller. Purchased for $700.

So far, I've gutted the interior with the intention of turning it black. Some parts like the overhead light need to be replaced due to plastic deterioration. I'll be using dye and interior paint to paint, panels, seats, carpet, etc.

I've also gone ahead and dropped the transmission. The seller said that the previous owner had paid someone to rebuild the original transmission and suspected that the torque converter is at fault. It is hard to determine the concern since the transmission wasn't cooperating in the first place. But it doesn't look like anyone has done a rebuild. Here are some pictures of the condition inside and outside.

The starter was in bad condition. While checking the bell housing and flywheel, some metal shavings were found. Not sure if that was due to poor installation.

An auto to manual swap is definitely on the list of things to do. I had to contemplate the decision to approach the transmission swap but it seems pretty straight forward. This will be my first attempt. I am located in Sothern Cali and would love to have the MK2 running by the end of the year.

A bit about myself: I've always appreciated classic cars. Navy Vet. I graduated from an automotive technical school and worked for Mercedes Benz for a couple of years. Now, I am a full-time glassblower. Thank you for having me. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
Salvaged title? No matter,you have a LOT of car for $700.
Need to make it legal.Nasty-looking fluid in that tranny!
Damage to the LF quarter panel-I see it and it's still drivable,when the tranny is diagnosed.
...Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
What a deal Trek ! The drivers seat bolster looks great. Not much wear like most I've seen. Previous owners must have weighed like 110 lbs and got in and out very carefully.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts