Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do supras have this engine? I am trying to find out if a car I am getting is a supra or a celica. Does anyone know about this engine? Do only supras have pop-up lights?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Hrmmm.... Not sure if any of the Supra's or the CelicaXX's had the 1G-EU motor. The GA61's had the 1G-GEU. The 1G is a 2.0L motor, you'll need to look at the motor page that is at Matti & Helene's website.

http://come.to/helene-and-matti

Both the Supra's/CelicaXX's & the Celica's had pop-up headlights (if you are talking about the 82 - 85's).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I found that both the Celica Supra, and Supra have the 1G-EU engine. Is there a diff? btw, I am new to all this, so this is prolly dumb question.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
No, they are the same. Technically, Celica Supra's are considered the MKI's & MKII's. Supra's are the MKIII's & the MKIV's.

CelicaXX's are the Japan Spec MKI's & MKII's.

Unless they are obviously the Japan CelicaXX's, I just call all of them Supra's. :?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, Supra sounds better, hehe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found that it is a GA61. So is this a Celica? Just want to finally decide what it is, cos there are no details as it is a abandoned car.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
It's a Supra... For sure not a Celica. Don't know of any Celica's of this era that came w/ the G series motor, they mostly (at least in North America), had the R series motor during this time frame.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enuff. I will call it a supra then, no one around me will know any better, hehe.

Although, it does has a badge on the front with XX on it, so it might be a Celica XX? If so, what is a Celica XX?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cool - you've found an imported Supra (aka Celica XX). It would have started its life rolling on the streets of Tokyo or some Japanese city. Aside from a few minor differences, it's basicially pretty similar to the US spec. Supras (I'm assuming you're a yank). Only downside, it that you are looking at a fairly slow (and extremely rare) 2 litre straight six engine. But, the good news is that you can turn it into a very fast twin turbo 2 litre straight six - if you want. I don't know how hard it is to get 1G-GTE's in the US, but if you can - this would make an awesome up-grade. If you're interetsed in going that route, talk to JustCallMeFrank on these boards - he's in the middle of doing this same swap into a 1G XX.

- Justin

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, actually I am in New Zealand. So I am not sure how easy I am going to find parts etc. But there was another supra being sold at the same tender, so I might get lucky. Is it possible to put a turbo into this engine? Can it handle it with the right mods? Or I am thinking too high?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah, a Kiwi. Cool! Parts for the 1GUE type engines might be a bit tricky. BUT, that 1G-GTE swap would be very easy - these motors are readily available in NZ as are parts. And then you have TWO turbos :D

Try to find the NZ Supra Club (I don't have time to look up the URL atm). There is a guy on there who has dropped a 1G-GTE into a Celica-Supra XX. You could ask him/them for more local info.

As for the other Supra, you may get lucky and get a 5MGE. From memory, Toyota NZ imported their Supras from Oz in the 1980s (which means crappy single cam 5ME motor). BUT, I'm told that therer were a stack of Celixa XX's and Euro. spec Supras 'grey' imported in the early 1990s - so it could be a 2 cam 5MGE!

Good luck at the auction!

- Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts