Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Im thinking bout putting the 2l twin turbo motor in my car from a mark3 supra.
I figure that if its good enough for the heavy ole mark3 it should be good enough for the mark2.

Anyone done this conversion?

I have mounts in my parts mark2 that had a 1ge motor, so that will be fine.
But will any modifications need to be made to get the motor to fit?

Will i need a msd tach adaptor to run my digital dash?

Any help will be most helpful
cheers

matt

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
To my knowledge, a 1GGTE was never in a Mk III... thats the 1JZ-GTTE, which is a 2.5L motor. I have heard of a couple of people putting 1GGTE's into Mk II's, but never actually talked to anyone who has done it. Theres a couple of members here who are in the process of putting a 1J into a mk II now..

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Bob,

A 1G-GTEU was available for the MKIII. This was the GA70!!!!

deaf_rattle, I "think" you will need to switch over the crossmember from your GA60 parts car into the MA61/67 that you will be putting your turbo 1G into. Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
reading the 'engine recipes' section under this sites FAQ... says the mk3 sump bowl is in a different position to the mk2??? from memory mk2 is at the front, mk3 in the middle??? go read it dude, its worth it.
says it somewhere, i think norbies 2jzgte conversion, assuming the different engine has same position for the sump bowl :oops:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You will definitely need a different sump and oil pickup if you want to put a GA70 engine in a Mk2 Supra. You say you have a Mk2 which came with a 1G (GA61), so you already have all the parts you need - just grab the crossmember, engine mounts, sump and oil pickup and swap it all over!

There's a guy on the ToyMods forum who is in the process of doing this very conversion. Go to www.toymods.org.au and you will find plenty of info.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hehe, that guy would be me, I've been stuck with time (and $) trying to fit it because I've gotta get the body done before I wanna fit it.

As far as research goes, its really easy to start with a GA61 like I am :p If you already have the parts then thats cool!

I'm going to utilise the sump and oil pickup from my old 1GEU, the engine mounts and crossmember should be fine. I've only seen a few other cars with this conversion but alas, they are all in Japanese. In theory the 1GGTEU should bolt up to the old mounts, I'll hopefully be able to tell you in a month or so (damn this thing keeps getting dragged out! :( )

Considering the lighter weight of the engine (and to a degree my car, no flares etc.), the car would have a power/weight probably closer to a R32 Skyline GTS-t, better once you factor into account you'll probably get a new free-flowing exhaust when you fit it.

As for the tacho, not sure yet how it will work, I'm hoping the signal is similar. Is there a dash in your parts car?

Hope this helps, if there is anything else you want to know, message me on ICQ or e-mail me.

BTW, where you live dude?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Haha, no joke. Funny that being all RHD and all.

Problem is, I don't think they got the real deal in a 200SX/Silvia either. They got reject 240SX's etc. which would be chewed up and spat out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Which car does the 1GGTE come originaly from? is it a 4 cyl or a 6?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I spoke to the son of the owner of a 1GGTE MA-61 a few months ago (white '83 in Doubleview shopping centre carpark, Nathan). Kid was driving it - but Dad did the conversion, so info was limitted. Apparently he did as Nathan is describes - use crossmember, sump & pickup from GA61 engine. No big dramas and goes really well - apparently. Didn't get the guy's phone number - though I think he might have sold it in the mean-time (saw an ad in local paper for a 2l twin-turbo '83). You could also ask our New Zealand cousins - I've heard that this is a very common swap over there.

Yep, I don't think the American's are familiar with the SR20DET's - that I hope to blow away when I get the 1JZ in!

- Justin
Who is about to be a Dad himself in about 8 months! Hope Celia-Sue doesn't get too jelous. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
If 7MGTE Andy from Enzed is around, he could chime in here :) He gave me a bit of info on this swap when I asked. Said was quite common over the Tasman.

- Justin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Word on the 1GE-GTE is that you can get close too 300hp out of the stocker turbos (CT-12's I think).

Although the motor is more along the lines of the 7MGTE as a converted non-turbo motor with turbos jammed on it.

Since harnass and ECU is difficult too get in north america, unless you could get a clip for really cheap, I think a 1JZ is a better way to go, on this side of the pond anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts