Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Supra people,

Has anyone ever seriously looked into a 1GRFE swap for our MK2s? A search here came up with nothing. Is there some reason this would not be doable?

It seems like an obvious match for RWD with manual trans if one was available complete with entire harness and any required related modules.

Unless someone posts that it can't be done, I will do a bit of research and post the results. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kinda curious about the answer since my other Toyota (that got kicked out of the garage for the Supra) is an 07 FJ with the 1GR-FE and 6MT. I love driving that thing! Definitely more of a truck motor, but with the available lightweight flywheel from URD, it'd probably be fun in a Supra.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Any DOHC V engine is going to be hard to fit, especially around the steering linkage as our engine bay is designed for an I6. If you want to go through that much of a pain, a V8 swap will give you more power for a similar amount of pain.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
It shouldn't be harder to fit then a 1uz, and it will give you a very similar same output with 2 less cylinders, less length and hopefully less weight. Coming with a modern 6spd is a bonus. Even on 1uzs, you get stuck heavily modifying the factory exhaust manifolds or making custom ones, I would expect to have to do the same.

However, its a modern Toyota engine which means it has an immobilizer ecu and decoder, it has a drive by wire pedal (not the half system the later JZs used that still had real throttle cables) and can bus wiring. I'm not gonna go and say its impossible to swap, but it will be a challenge for sure. Going standalone might be the best route. I've never heard of anyone swapping one. The later stuff is really challenging. People seem to have 3uzfe swaps cracked, but I'm guessing they are all stand alone as well.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'm not saying it would be more difficult, just that perhaps the pain to payoff ratio isn't so great. An OHV V8 like a LS would be significantly easier.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It shouldn't be harder to fit then a 1uz, and it will give you a very similar same output with 2 less cylinders, less length and hopefully less weight. Coming with a modern 6spd is a bonus. Even on 1uzs, you get stuck heavily modifying the factory exhaust manifolds or making custom ones, I would expect to have to do the same.

However, its a modern Toyota engine which means it has an immobilizer ecu and decoder, it has a drive by wire pedal (not the half system the later JZs used that still had real throttle cables) and can bus wiring. I'm not gonna go and say its impossible to swap, but it will be a challenge for sure. Going standalone might be the best route. I've never heard of anyone swapping one. The later stuff is really challenging. People seem to have 3uzfe swaps cracked, but I'm guessing they are all stand alone as well.
If I recall, the immobilizer ECU didn't show up until 2008, so you've got the older ones as an option, but that also limits you to the single VVT-i engines. Standalone computers are pretty well ironed out for the 1GR-FE and they take nicely to boost. With that said, even supercharged, you're only putting 400-450 to the ground, so I don't know that the effort is worth it compared to the LS. My naturally aspirated LS3 puts down 410hp with just headers, intake and a tune. I like Toyota engines and all, but when I pop my 1GR-FE in my FJ, I'll likely be looking at a 6.2 LS swap. Those aluminum blocks really keep weight down, and I'm big on weight reduction in all of my vehicles when possible.

I have no idea how big the RA60 (2wd 6-spd) transmission is compared to the stock unit or a T-56/TR-6060.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Well not everyone needs 400whp these days contrary to the latest HP wars, the output of a stock 1grfe is pretty decent for a mk2, especially if you drop a bunch of weight taking it.

That 6 spd has its detractors\reliablity issues I know that, but I'm sure it will be ok in something as light as a mk2.

Even my gen of Taco, 01-04, had optional immobilizer. I don't know what year they became standard on Tacos, I would have expected right from the get go for the 2nd gens. Standard on all is300s, aristos etc since like 2000.

·
Super Moderator
8,160 Posts
Height is more of a problem vs width. In the brz you have to do a custom intake manifold to clear the hood with a gr engine. Honestly if you want a v6 looks at getting the engine and trans from a newer camaro v6. Like 340 hp, 6 spd trans, tuneable with hp tuners, no exhaust manifolds, everything mounts in the engine bay, and they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Height is more of a problem vs width. In the brz you have to do a custom intake manifold to clear the hood with a gr engine. Honestly if you want a v6 looks at getting the engine and trans from a newer camaro v6. Like 340 hp, 6 spd trans, tuneable with hp tuners, no exhaust manifolds, everything mounts in the engine bay, and they are pretty cheap.
How does the space under the hood compare in the 86 vs the MK2? I sold my FR-S before picking up my Supra, so can't really compare. Obviously, we have a lot more length in the Supra, but how about height and width? I never looked that closely at the LFX engine. Man, that exhaust looks so easy to work with! Too bad it has direct-injection. I'm not a fan of DI after lots of fueling/carbon issues in other cars.

Random sidenote: HP Tuners supports the 1GR-FE (from the Tacoma at least) now!

·
Super Moderator
8,160 Posts
The 86 bay is a bit shorter maybe a smudge wider and similar in height. If you don't want a ton of power I think the lfx would make it a great daily driver. Unfortunately DI is how you get some much power on these newer engines.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I have been thinking about this swap for a while now - the motor/trans is cheeper then a 2jz/t56 setup, plus you would get a modern motor/trans setup.
has anyone done this swapp already ? i would love to read about it and the final cost as well as any issues that where run into.

·
Super Moderator
8,160 Posts
I don't think anyone has done it in these cars, but it got popularized for the miata.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Any DOHC V engine is going to be hard to fit...
The 1uz guys seem to have figured it out.

People seem to have 3uzfe swaps cracked, but I'm guessing they are all stand alone as well.
"The Russian Guy" suggests it as the ideal Yota powerplant for swaps. He can tune on the factory ECU (with his mods). He's got it all dialed in and takes the hard tasks off the table for us normal incapable folk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, lots of great info to digest! It isn't hopeless. I am not concerned with HP. Just want to avoid running into obsolete parts issues and would like to have my old buddy as a daily driver again. I will make some decision and talk to my mechanic. Thank you to all who replied.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
GR is a 60 degree bank angle so it might fit a bit better width wise but not in height. Again I'm not saying a V8 swap is easier, just better bang for the buck if you want to go to the trouble of swapping to a V engine. And easier if you stick with an OHV engine like a LS (plus then MEGA parts availability pretty much forever).

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Oh, well if ultimate performance isn't your main criteria, its hard to beat a 2jzge mated to a w58 for simplicity, reliability and great bang for the buck. Parts supply is pretty good right now, and most 2j stuff will continue to be made for a long time, but they are fairly old motors now and some of the little plastic bits are getting hard to find. Also the vvti ones are way more common as is300s have bottomed out depreciation wise now, but it is a more challenging swap then the early non vvti 2jzges for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts