Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to do a 1jz gte swap coming this tax season and im sure this question has been asked a million times, but what parts do i need exactly? I would hunt through the other threads but i have to use my phones internet(slow as hell on this site). So that would take years to do. So if someone could just put a simple list of items needed that would be awesome. I found a shop selling a 1jz gte with the whole motor including the stock turbos, a 5 speed trans, the ecu and uncut wiring harness for 1900 altogether. Is that a good deal? And if i got that would it be everything i would need or wat else would i need to do the swap right? Any and all help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And i already know some of the things id need like a better fuel pump and stuff like the intercooler. But if i bought the shops motor which comes with a warranty on it and the trans would i need anything else like driveshaft and that kinda stuff

·
Registered
1 Posts
$1900 seems like a good price, but you need to make sure it is a fwd sump.
unless you plan on getting a $5000 tax check ain't gonna happen.
ck the sticky in the JZ swap section.
the drive shaft and that kinda stuff will end up costing more than the engine.
mine is $6000 / 9 months & counting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i have the taxes and money i've saved. I got a friend who said he knows people he can get everything from for 2 grand max so ima roll with his i think

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
$1900 seems like a good price, but you need to make sure it is a fwd sump.
unless you plan on getting a $5000 tax check ain't gonna happen.
ck the sticky in the JZ swap section.
the drive shaft and that kinda stuff will end up costing more than the engine.
mine is $6000 / 9 months & counting.
+1 LOLOL..

It is a lot of work and a lot of time searching for parts and other info.

You need at least to freshen up the engine before you install it (timing belt, seals, a good clutch) These are not so easy while in the car.

It is hard to say how much more you will need everybody's swap will not be the same...
Be sure you get a engine with a front sump oil pan!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your telling me that you don't have the time to read through the FAQ sticky at the top of the JZ swap section BUT, you have to wait until tax season to be able to do this swap?

Im with the other guys here, your not going to do it for under $3500-4000 unless you plan on going half ass on everything and not resealing the engine etc (your car will fail and cost you more in the end).

I would doubt anyone is going to compile a complete list of everything you need, its just not realistic, we have all spent so much time and money on our cars that most of us have prob lost track of what we have spent and the parts we purchased (or are trying to forget). Most importantly all the major things you need are already listed in the FAQ sticky found here :http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=21987

Read, search, and then price parts out. Add on $1500 to what you think your going to spend. FYI I have a $10000 engine in a $2000 car that started out at a $4000 budget.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
we have all spent so much time and money on our cars that most of us have prob lost track of what we have spent and the parts we purchased (or are trying to forget).
Dammm Right lOLOLOLOLOL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah, I stopped counting after the first 2 months...
Because don't forget, once you have the engine in and running (the fun part) then comes all the other stuff that needs an upgrade: Suspension, your stock one will feel like you drive a boat, springs, shocks, sway bars, strut bars you need! Brakes, you Will need bigger brakes wich also means biggers wheels and tires!
Just these will put you nicely around $3000 over what you initially had in mind.

Back to your needs, if you want some engine mounts to put the 1j in, let me know!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
1j good
money bad
Money not bad...

Lack of money bad

Listen to what these guys are saying...I've got about $4000 sitting on an engine stand.... Started with a $4000 budget. Still have to purchase a bell housing, flywheel, driveline and intercooler/piping,(should fulfill the $1500 over budget). Not to mention the $900 diff on the floor, and $2000 in suspension/wheel/tire upgrades done already. Still have to do brakes as well. Everyone thinks they can do a cheap swap...but they can't do it correctly on the cheap. So stop lying to yourself...we all have $10k invested in our cars once this is all done...EASILY! Hack and slash...still gonna cost about $5K bare bones minimum...but I'll let you think about this for a sec.

Quick cost analysis breakdown for you (very cheap/low quality work)

Power Steering lines/cooler/reservoir - $250
Ignitor - $150
A/C - $$$$
Clutch/flywheel/trans - $800 minimum w/W58
Intercooler - $400 (eBay u-cut special)
Injector resistor - $150
Mounts - $150
Exhaust Work - $400 muffler chop special

That's $2300 OUTSIDE engine acquisition.

Get the picture?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Yup...now get a good tune or stock up in rings and rod bearings...either way you're adding more expense to the 'cheap' JZ swap :laugh:
BTW, I want to get a Goodyear Gatorback timing belt for my 1J, you wouldn't happen to know the part number, would you......pretty please with cotton candy on top :D

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Who said anything about cheap??? ;)
'Note' the quotes...that's called 'inflected sarcasm' in the interweb...pull your head out of your Farmville

BTW, I want to get a Goodyear Gatorback timing belt for my 1J, you wouldn't happen to know the part number, would you......pretty please with cotton candy on top :D
Last I checked the sign out front said TOYOTA on it...not ARMIN's aUtO PaaaaTS.

Goodyear - 40147 - List $58.65

Now that we've completely thrashed this thread...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts