Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1UZ headers, need some ideas here

14K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  fattcat69 
#1 ·
Hey all, been pretty quiet on the board for quite some time, but I need some ideas here as I'm just fresh out of one to finish up my project.

For those of you who have 1UZ's in your car, would you be willing to post some photos of how you modified either stock or aftermarket exhaust manifolds to deal with the interference of the steering column knuckles? And, if there's a header that you've found works without any mods to it, would you pass that info on to me? I'd sure appreciate it! Its the only thing holding me up at this point, and I'm not finding any info online on what folks have used.

Some info that might be important, I have two types of log-type manifolds now, and the #7 pipe is in the way of the steering knuckle. I believe the manifolds I have now are from an early 1UZ, as well as either a 2UZ or 3UZ (they came with the engine, so I don't know what they're from).

The passenger side fits fine, and with some new steering lines, should not interfere with anything at all, but that damned driver's side, well.....

Chris
PFA

http://kolohe.net/stuffs/mkii/photos/IMG_20170909_174611.jpg

http://kolohe.net/stuffs/mkii/photos/IMG_20160607_112935.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Jim, yep, Mike O'Brien's car is fantastic, but his 1UZ is turbocharged so i can't really use his layout for the manifold as he's brought the driver's side around the front and over to the turbo on the passenger's side.

Seems to be what I'm finding with many builds online, most of them are turbocharged, and the few that aren't, there's no photos or good info on what the builder used for the manifolds.

#8 ·
Wow, welcome back man, its been eons! This still the same car as back in the day with the 6m with Greedy bits?

A lot of people end up making custom headers for this swap unfortunately. I've done a little custom header work myself. If you could find some aftermarket tube headers that at least cleared the frame rails, it probably wouldn't be that hard to modify them to clear the steering knuckle with a mandrel J bend in the right diameter.

#11 ·
Yep, its been a while Suprafiend! And yes, its the same car with the old Greddy/HKS 6m setup! Sadly, the shop I used waaaaaaay back when I initially put the engine together screwed up when he sleeved #3 cylinder (it had a small rust spot that didn't come out when he honed the block). The sleeve went in crooked and there was nothing I could do to repair the block when I went to rebuild it a couple years ago. That's why I decided to go with a 1UZ swap, the other block needed to be replaced and the HKS pistons/rings were done.

Good to see familiar names on this board still around!

#9 ·
I researched this as much as I could also, to see what I'm in for when doing the swap. I read that the LS400 manifold is the easiest to modify to fit, but I've also read that the Tundra/Sequoia stock manifold is tight against the block and MAY work, or be easy to mod to work. I've tried getting one, but have been skunked in my 2 attempts in the U-pull-it yard so far (first one had nuts too rusty to get a socket on, second one it was already gone!).

#12 ·
....but I've also read that the Tundra/Sequoia stock manifold is tight against the block and MAY work, or be easy to mod to work. I've tried getting one, but have been skunked in my 2 attempts in the U-pull-it yard so far (first one had nuts too rusty to get a socket on, second one it was already gone!).
Looks like there are tons of them on ebay for not a lot of money? Its seems like 40 buck to save your knuckles and your time would be worth it. Looks like you can also buy a set of Chinese headers for not much more either.

#16 ·
Dang!

The 6m has the same bore as a 5m though, 83mm. The HKS gaskets actually have the cylinder hole spacing at 86mm, but I personally would never attempt anything over 85mm. Some may say thats pushing it too, but should be fine on an NA engine.

#17 · (Edited)
#18 ·
I went with the ebay 2uz stainless steel headers. On the passenger side it fit nicely, although I did hammer in the firewall a little so I could push the engine back a little bit more. The drivers side is another story. I took the car to a fab shop here in town that normally does circle track cars, and had the header modified to clear the steering linkage. Easily the most expensive part of the whole swap. He cut it up and tig welded new tubes. This is how it looks today.

And Hey Flyin' Hawaiian you wont believe this, we are practically neighbors. And we used to have 6m's. And we have 1uz MKII's

#21 · (Edited)
Can he make another one? preferably 2 so they match on each side? That way someone, maybe George at Raptor can send it off to have it replicated in China? Would make this swap a lot more common if nice bolt in headers were available.

#22 ·
Honestly I think you're better of modifying the steering shaft so you could use any manifolds. I was looking at somebody that did an ls3 swap with stock manifolds and catted downpipe. He had a flaming river extra set of u joints and a pillow block mounted to the frame rail to get more room for the manifolds to clear.

#23 ·
Hey Silver, that's what I ended up doing, fabbed up a bracket for the frame and installed a heim joint for a new steering shaft and u joint. With the 2UZ manifold, flange cut off just after the O2 sensor, everything fits. Its tight, but it does indeed fit! The angle it fires downward at actually works pretty well to get the rest of the exhaust out towards the back. I do like the idea of having a true header and not just a log-type manifold though.

Gonna bug Dane about those headers, see if I can't get me a set too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.