Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got my 84 supra running again but it's 37 years old and I don't want to deal with any more problems with such an old engine. I did a lot of research on swaps and I fell in love with the 1UZ, I've always been a big V8 car person, and to find Toyota make one and that they're relatively cheap has persuaded me to swap one into my supra. But I'll be honest I'm not sure where to start. I know I'll need new motor mounts and some kind of adapter to my transmission, if not a new transmission. I'm pretty sure it's a W58. I'm almost sure that it can't handle the torque and horsepower the 1UZ puts down. So if you guys know any ways of getting around swapping a trans, or a trans that fits that would help. I also know I'll need a new ECU. But besides all this, I don't know anything about big swaps like this. Any help would be appreciated because this will be the biggest part of my project and also my first one so I want to make sure I do it right.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
Just my opinion, but an LS like the 5.3 would be a far better choice unless you really want a Toyota motor. The 1UZ is kind of a dead end unless you like making your own parts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Recently got my 84 supra running again but it's 37 years old and I don't want to deal with any more problems with such an old engine. I did a lot of research on swaps and I fell in love with the 1UZ, I've always been a big V8 car person, and to find Toyota make one and that they're relatively cheap has persuaded me to swap one into my supra. But I'll be honest I'm not sure where to start. I know I'll need new motor mounts and some kind of adapter to my transmission, if not a new transmission. I'm pretty sure it's a W58. I'm almost sure that it can't handle the torque and horsepower the 1UZ puts down. So if you guys know any ways of getting around swapping a trans, or a trans that fits that would help. I also know I'll need a new ECU. But besides all this, I don't know anything about big swaps like this. Any help would be appreciated because this will be the biggest part of my project and also my first one so I want to make sure I do it right.
While it's more work than doing a 7M or 2JZ swap a 1UZ swap isn't too bad to do and has great torque. I have done a 1UZ swap in my car and it's a autox/track car only. For a while, I had the stock 200K+ mile W58 trans in it and it held up fine to the stock 1UZ. I am now swapping in a 300ZX 5 speed trans due to working on adding a supercharger to the motor so I want a trans that can handle the power.

For motor mounts, you can either get one made for a Cressida from Xcessive manufacturing or you can custom make some. There are a few kits out there for trans adaptors out there if you want to keep the W58. The hardest part of the swap is the exhaust. With the steering shaft in the way on the driver's side exhaust, you have to be creative with how to get the exhaust routed. Custom headers are the best choice but can be expensive. For me, I currently have some eBay headers on it. Bought two pairs and put a passenger-side header on both sides. That mean's the driver's side is facing the front of the car. I then welded tubing 180 degrees and then snaked it out.

A stock 1UZ makes these cars really fun to drive and there are parts out there for them. In fact I personally think its easier to find 1UZ parts than for specific parts for the Celica Supra.

You're going to get more power easier out of a 2JZ turbo or an LS swap. However, that also means more expensive as it will lead to more things breaking easier.

Happy to talk/help with a 1UZ swap at anytimes. Just let me know what questions you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would swap something else but I'm trying to go on a budget and I notice that 1UZ motors are infinitely cheaper than a 2JZ or LS and make pretty good power for how cheap they are and how easy they are to get a hold of.

Would you be able to link me to the kits and products you bought for the trans adapters, exhaust, and really anything else you used to adapt stuff? And do you think if I should try to find a rebuild kit for the W58 before putting it on the motor?

Also what ECU did you use to replace the stock one. I'm not too sure about how the electronics work but I heard something about someone who swapped a 1UZ and used a megasquirt. Would I have to rewire the entire car or could I just have to redo a couple of wires?

I honestly have a lot of questions but I don't really know where to start because there's so much.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
If you aren't intimately familiar with standalone ECU's, just get a complete engine/harness and run the factory ECU. It's WAYYYYY easier.

W58 Trans Adapter

R154 Trans Adapter

UZ Motor Mounts

--billyM

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but being on a budget you need to remember the cost of the engine is maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the entire swap. Expect on the lower end for a less common swap like 1UZ unless you are a skilled fabricator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1UZ all the way. Surely there must be off the shelf mounts that could be adapted for the supra. If you're going for big power though an LS is probably the more sensible option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the links, I appreciate it and this will help a lot.

You mentioned the exhaust being in the way of the steering column and that I'd need to be creative with it. Can you link me to what you bought or attach a picture of what you did if you can get one or have one from when you were installing it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thank you for the links, I appreciate it and this will help a lot.

You mentioned the exhaust being in the way of the steering column and that I'd need to be creative with it. Can you link me to what you bought or attach a picture of what you did if you can get one or have one from when you were installing it?
My build thread shows some of the exhaust setup I have done. That should help you out a little. https://www.celicasupra.com/threads/mtymseharmers-82-p-type-1uzfe-swapped-autocross-build.122297/

·
Registered
152 Posts
One of my mates put 1UZ into MKIV Supra:

You save about 250-300lbs with alloy-block. He had custom bell-housing cast to mate to R154 trans through Tilton triple-plate clutch. Went with LinkECU G3 ECU. Ended up with about 600hp.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
300 lb? An all up 2JZGT is around 500, 1UZ around 375. So more like 125 lb weight savings for a mk4. And that's before you add the weight of any power adders to the 1UZ. Plus with a single turbo you can drop 40-50 lb from a 2JZ because the stock twin setup is so heavy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
2jz-gte = 594 lbs

Ok, more like 200lbs savings. Someone posted here about installing 1UZ in MKII and ended up with front-end that aimed to the moon.

Here's 1UZ from cab, something around NZ$350

bell-housing to R154

Tilton 3-plate clutch

yeah, as BillyM mentioned, just get ECU and wiring harness that matches engine. LS swaps are really only done in U.S. due to availability. Costs A LOT to buy LS crate motor and ship it internationally. When I was in Aus 20-yrs ago, saw mostly 1jz, 2jz, 1uz swaps. Hot-rodders tend to use what's easily available and cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
There are tons of LS motors in Australia since Holden used them for a long time. You wouldn't have seen many LS motors 20 yrs ago since they first came out in 1997 in the Corvette. You guys need to expand your field of view. The LM7 like I'm referring to came in basically every Chevy/GMC truck, van, SUV for a decade. They are pretty easy to find for a few hundred bucks. If you want to spend a little more the 6L truck motors are also an option of the later aluminum block motors. Pretty much every LS speed part, which is like the half the Summit Catalog, bolts onto them. There are dozens of different manifold, heads, FEADs, oil pans, electronics, transmission and such you can use for swaps. You can tune the factory ECUs. Just to give you an example;

I like Toyota stuff, but the 1UZ is a big dead end if you want to modify it and don't want to build everything your self. Probably in another 5-10 year it will be just as hard to get maintenance parts for as the 5M is now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts