Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Oh I'm so broke right now. Freaking Christmas. I want one but not right now. I need my stuff to sell. Then I'll get one.

If it doesn't sell here, post it on cressida.net. There are some who will do the swap into a MX83. That's what I wanted to do.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I'm so broke right now. Freaking Christmas. I want one but not right now. I need my stuff to sell. Then I'll get one.

If it doesn't sell here, post it on cressida.net. There are some who will do the swap into a MX83. That's what I wanted to do.
thanks for the tip man,
yeah dont worry if you dont get one this round, than ill make sure you get in on the large order :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just wondering from the pic, is that V8 as short as a 22r (because the Celica has a shorter front) cause I may just swap it into my Celica hatch.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i honesly dont know what the specs are on the engine, lenght...
I do know that in my supra i have gobs of room on the fire wall side and gobs upfront

there are a fiew guys that have done the swap into a celica and have told me that with some minor modifications to the firewall/trans tunnle, and brake booster (with a big hammer) it fits on the stock manual trans mount...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
OK, I have finally made up my mind. Reason why I didn't have money for this is cause I was gonna go buy a Cressida X8 today. But I have decided to ditch that plan cause I have too many cars/projects (4) already. So now I have money to spend on this. My uncle has a complete LS400 with a blown head gasket so I have a transplant. I also have 2 w58 laying around so got the tranny also. And since the inline 6 (6m, 7m) are a bit long for the Celica front, I'm gonna do this into my convertible with a supercharger, and do the twin turbo into the Cressida X7.

So saying that, what's your paypal?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol sorry buddy, been insane busy.
got a notice form the city yesterday that i need to clear up a brush pile behind my garage. so in between doing that, welding the adapters, making a junk yard run and pulling the rest of the wire i need for my swap ( and a new head gasket, and coolant overflow) i didn’t get a chance to check in.

Im glad to hear your going for the swap! i don’t think you will be disappointed.
if you haven’t already check out lextream.com they have great info on these engines.

I know roots style blowers are not the most efficient, but i just love they way they look under the hood... so i was planning on going with this kit (if i ever got around to force-feeding this pig!)
http://www.bulletcars.com/superchargers/toyota/budget-toyota-1uz-v8-supercharger-system.html

My paypal is [email protected] and id like you to test out my motor mounts i fabricated for my supra so ill be sending you out a set of those as well

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
payment has been received, thank you sir!
I will verify the fitment, clean one up and send it right out.
I will get a set of those mounts fabbed and shipped out to you as soon as i can, but i wont hold up shipping on the plate for them...

BTW
here is the batch of 4

·
Super Moderator
10,617 Posts
I'm guessing you have to cut a hole for the shift fork and modify the bell to be able to bolt the slave to going this route. What about the flywheel, you ordering that from one of the companies that make them and the bells in Austialia\NZ?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm guessing you have to cut a hole for the shift fork and modify the bell to be able to bolt the slave to going this route. What about the flywheel, you ordering that from one of the companies that make them and the bells in Austialia\NZ?
If you wanted to use the stock slave setup it will take a lot of fab work, not only drilling and tapping a hole in the correct location in this plate, but finding a way to mount the slave (tapped holes for it are on the bell housing stock) and then finding a way to adjust it properly....

I recommend to every one that is thinking about this to just save your sell alot of time and energy and invest $200 in a howe throw out bearing set (i believe the correct one is 82870) and the remote bleeder kit (i believe the correct one is 8287) both can be bought thru summit racing.com . Ive been told that the remote bleeder kit will have enough line to plumb the throw out bearing from the end of your ridged line.

as far as flywheel clutch selection i like uza70.com
i personally am going with the 6 puck sprung clutch kit (clutch disc, pilot bearing, and 1800lb pressure plate for $345
and their street flywheel for $300
But, that’s all your choice, id be very suspicious of any flywheel. The re-drilled 3sgte flywheels have been rumored to come apart… I don’t know how much of this is fact and how much of this is just talk, but either way just find the company your most comfortable with..
I have seen nothing but good things on uza70.com, and lextremes phill bradshaw and superrunner products. What pushed me to the uza70 side was the availability, and the savings on shipping.

lastly on the company that makes the bellhousings...
I have not seen one person run one that’s been happy with it..
Actually, the plates i have up for sale are an Ed Oats design. He originally designed these because the did not find one bellhousing on the market that met his standards.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys,
Ive gotten a few questions now on what exactly is needed for the 1uz swap into a MKIII supra..
well here is the list of the major components (natrually there are going to be lots of fiddely little bits here and there)
These are just the ones that make the most since to me out of my research.. not saying that you couldn’t do it another way, or that I know every thing that needs to go into this, but out of all the reading ive done these keep coming up as the most logical to me..
- supra auto trans cross member
- celica front drive shaft section or custom 1 piece drive shaft
- mkIII supra shifter, shifter housing, and shifter yoke (moves shifter back 2" to center it in the shifter hole, because the auto trans mount moves every thing up about 2").
- custom motor mounts (the metal brackets that go from engine to rubber mounts. im planning to produce them soon)
- supra motor mounts (the stock rubber section)
- there is two ways to do the clutch, you can do alot of fab work to make the stock slave and fork work or you can go the route I am going to; Howe racing throw out bearing kit, Howe racing bleeder relocation kit (both can be had at summitracing.com)
- custom flywheel (i like the uza70.com street flywheel $300)
- clutch pack to match flywheel ( uza70.com offers a 6 puck sprung clutch disc with 1800lb pressure plate and the pilot bearing you need for $345
- you will need a good radiator, either a nice clean stock supra one, or a supra aluminum after market. You will need to have it modified with larger diameter in and out tubes. Any good local shop should be able to do this for you.
- You also have two options on the radiator fans, you can go with an electric after market unit or the usdm ls400's had mechanical ones that will fit, but you will need to make some sort of radiator shroud.
- you will need a front sump 1uz engine (usdm lexus ls400)
- ls400 ecu
- ls400 air flow meter
- ls400 ignitors
- uncut engine harness
- the sub harness (goes from lexus fuse box and travels under the engine along the k member for the oil pressure sensor, oil level sensor ect...)
- toyota factory service wire diagrams for both the ls400 and your supra (ls400 diagram model year depending on what wire harness you get, and supra diagram for your year supra) I bought mine new for $65 shipped.
- soldering iron, shrink tubing, and a friend that’s good with wires (at least thats what i needed!)
- exhaust manifolds/system... will probably be the worst item of the swap. Its been shown that with some cutting and welding and big hammer mods stock lexus sc400 manifolds will fit relatively easily. I personally am going to take a set of tundra 2uz ebay tubular headers and cut them all to bits and reconfigure them....
If i get really ambitious one day i might just offer these for sale, but it will be unlikely.
the rest of the exhaust system can be as simple as dual glass packs to dumps, or a custom y pipe to a pacesetter exhaust system...
- 1uz automatic bell housing (will need to notch in a few places to clear some bolts and will need to drill it for the throw out lines, both of these can be done with a grinder and a hand drill respectively)
- 1uz power steering pump (i believe you just need to straighten out the stock supra hard line going to the pump and get a few adapter fittings)
- you will be using the stock 1uz starter but i highly recommend putting in at least new brushes before you install (PITA to replace once its all done!)
- and naturally while the engine is out you might want to replace; timing belt kit, front main seal, rear main seal.
And
If you want to retain your AC…. You’re a better man than I!!!
But its been rumored that you can use the 1uz compressor and adapt the supra lines to work, but I haven’t seen it in person, and I don’t know for sure…

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Seriously, That write up rocked, and if you feel ambitious, and want to get some pictures of your steps, I think that you should start a new thread, and have it be the 1uz swap faq. You are seriously a asset to the community and anyone looking to do this swap will definitely benefit from your knowledge.

·
Registered
92 Posts
heads up. the guys at uza70.com or also quantom, are my buddies. their good guys. they've done the 1uz swap i know of in 2, about to be 3 mk3 supras. they also had other friends that i dont talk to swap in 1uz's. im the only a-hole in the group who didnt buy the mk3 lol- i dont like them much.
on another note, your engine sits very far from the firewall. did you plan on that? thats why i made my mounts adjustable, i'll post pics in a new 1uz thread when my friend hosts them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seriously, That write up rocked, and if you feel ambitious, and want to get some pictures of your steps, I think that you should start a new thread, and have it be the 1uz swap faq. You are seriously a asset to the community and anyone looking to do this swap will definitely benefit from your knowledge.
hey man, just parroting the info Ive seen....
but yeah, check out my build thread some time (called daily driver resto)
little bit misleading because when i started it I called it a 1jz swap, but now i decided to go 1uz i cannot change the title.
heads up. the guys at uza70.com or also quantom, are my buddies. their good guys. they've done the 1uz swap i know of in 2, about to be 3 mk3 supras. they also had other friends that i dont talk to swap in 1uz's. im the only a-hole in the group who didnt buy the mk3 lol- i dont like them much.
on another note, your engine sits very far from the firewall. did you plan on that? thats why i made my mounts adjustable, i'll post pics in a new 1uz thread when my friend hosts them.
tell your boys to get me the hook up then! :naughty: (seeing how i rep them all the time!)
yeah this is the PeeWee recipe for engine placement.
i wanted it to sit away from the fire wall and as low as possible without modifying the fire wall or K member...
I honestly don’t see how it could sit further back without cutting into the K member unless its sitting waaaaaaay up high... or you have a celica....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts