Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided that 1uz is the way to go it arrived yesterday, now to track down some of the stuff I need to do the swap, I know the motor mounts are no longer available, so some fab work there, what about the Harness from Phil, I checked his website briefly, dont see it listed so how do I go about making that happen? and also the adapter for the tranny? and the last thing the clutch, I have heard several different things is there a direct bolt in from some other car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes apparently the mounts are no longer available so that should be fun...Philip bradshaw is still selling the harness for a pretty penny, but he does a great job from what I read....He has some nice articles... [email protected] So far the best route looks like Quantum Auto aka uza70.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have just made a set and trial fitted them onto the engine and a spare crossmember I have - fits ok. I have a drawing that I just need to make a few changes to that I could send to you. I cant figure out how to post pictures or the drawing on the forum. My posting rules say I cant post attachments - any help.

·
Registered
456 Posts
working on the swap my self.
im going to be fabricating the majority of the stuff my self but here is a quick run-down with links....
- 1uz automatic bellhousing (one on ebay right now for $100 got mine from a lextreme.com member for $75 shipped)
- mounts (ive got the parts for two sets cut, should have them welded up in the next fiew months, hit me up and i could prolly hook you up with one)
- bell housing adaptors (again, i can have two sets cut, no biggy)
phill wants $300 nzd (New Zealand dollars) for his
- flywheel, There are companys that offer full customs and others that offer stock toyotas that have been re-drilled.
(i might have an extra one made i can keep you posted)
phill wants $700nzd for a standard weight one, $800nzd for a light weight
- clutch you want to get an upgraded one but should be able to use the W58 style, depends on what flywheel you run
Phill offers a 10" heavy duity setup for $800nzd
- clutch slave cylinder;
As you may have guessed, you are not going to be able to use the old w58 fork/slave/hub setup. Most seem to be running the Howe Racing 82870 one, summitracing.com $160ish or ebay has deals on them
- phills harness is a patch harness
(his words)
"The patch harness I make will plug into your engine harness (if you have the 'car' side plugs) and leave you with about 8 wires to hook up to get the engine running on the factory EFI system. I have wired over 35 of these engines now."
He wants about $450nzd for a 5 speed harness, price depends on what 5 speed you want to run...
Dr. Tweak quoted me on a custom harness, basically you would have to send them two uncut harnesses (one from your old 5mge and one from the 1uz you want to swap)
(his words)
"You'd be looking at $450 plus $40 for return shipping/insurance, there will be a couple of things that need to be connected directly to the chassis, we will provide instructions."
- you will also need the 1uz computer, harness (naturally), air meter, and igniters
- radiator;
Im still in the process of researching this so i cannot comment
- power steering;
I was told to swap over to AN high pressure lines, use the 1uz power steering pump with the stock supra rack.
- starter/alternator;
use the 1uz stuff
- headers;
some say you will have to go full custom, others say you can use a set of sc400 headers and with slight mods make them work... Im a long way off from this so i cannot comment.
- Fuel;
all the research ive done shows that a 255lph fuel pump is the only upgrade you need to make.
- cassis mods;
Clearence is super tight (so ive been told) so you will have interfearence with the trans tunnle/fire wall area, and the brake booster.
You can search around for a thinner profile booster (I think alot of people are running an early 80's toyota truck unit) but alot of people are just taking a hammer to the interfearing corner. Also you will have to do the BFH (big f**king hammer) mod to the trans tunnle/firewall area... this sucks for me, i just re-painted mine!!!!!

Im currently trying to compile a solid list of bits for the swap on lextreme.com
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11865
if you have not found that site yet go there, join and look in the drive train section. That will be the best way to find info on adapting the transmission...

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome!!!! I am also undergoing a swap in my x73 :D I would greatly appreciate us all sharing knowledge.. I've done just about all the research I can do for now...I just have to save and compile parts. I am hoping to be done by the beginning of the year. :D Talk to you guys soon!!! :D 1uzftw!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts