Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I‘ve seen reference to the 2.8GT grill badge on several posts here, but I don’t understand which models it should be on. The search engine results here are pretty spotty. Even the mighty Google can’t seem to help me on this. Can anyone give me a quick history on these??

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
They come one the JDM Celica XX that had the 5MGE engine (and most didn't)

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
One of our members had connections and got a batch of them recreated more than a decade ago. The original was plastic and Les' reproductions were machined from aluminum as I recall. If you see one on a US mk2, its most likely one of the repops. Sadly, Les passed away so he won't be producing any more.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What years had them?. Mine had a plastic one on it when I bought it, but I assumed it was just added at some later time.

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
They didn't come on any US or Canadian cars. They all had the Toyota badges there. Whatever you have was added. The came on all year Japanese market car with the 5M engine. They had a 2.8GT banner on the hatch as well. I don't think any of the JDM cars had the Toyota badge. I think most of them have a "twin cam" badge for the 1GGE engine.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Took me FOREVER to find mine years ago on the forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts