Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow supra lovers. I'm thinking about swapping the 5m-GE to a 2-JZGTE. I was wondering if anyone can help me with a how to and cost in american dollars. The only thing that sounds like it will be a big pain in the a** is all of the gauges :mad: . Anyways if anyone could help me out that would be awesome :D Thanks friends.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
LOL! The gauges are the least of your worries, believe me. :)

As for how much it will cost, how long is a piece of string? It depends on lots of things... for example, are you doing all the work yourself or paying someone else to do it? Are you using a 5-speed, 6-speed or automatic transmission? How much do 2JZ engines and drivetrains cost in your area? The list goes on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: 2JZGTE PRoject

I am currently in the process of doing a swap of a 2JZGE in my 1982 LType. With the help of Norbie I am alot further ahead than I would be. The cost now let me think here are a list of things to consider:
1) Who's doing the work
2) Do you know anyone that can help manufacture pieces
3) Are you buying a half cut or are you buying an engine then buying everything else you need individually(Very expensive)
4) Last but not least unless you know exactly where the engine came from, will it need any work, reason I added this one is that I know of a few people that have bought used/JDM engines and they have ended up needing to rebuild them.
5) Is your suspension up to the task of controlling the power you are about to install

Hope this helps. These are most of the things that I considered before undertaking this project. I have run into a few problems but overall it's been lotsa fun.

BTW the wiring is "way too much" fun. I am integrating the MK2 dash wiring harness with the IS300 Wiring harness, try labelling each individual wires on those suckers whoa.

Good luck in your decision making.

Norbie, I love the video. Has the car gone on the track yet? What suspension setup do you have?

Nick

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The car has had a few runs on the 1/8th mile with a slipping clutch. Now that I have a new clutch, I'm experiencing fuel cut after the second turbo kicks in (small wastegate + big exhaust = boost creep). As soon as I can afford it, I'll be installing a fuel cut defender and THEN I'll go for a run at the 1/4 mile.

The suspension is totally stock, complete with 20 years of wear and tear. The saggy rear end is actually excellent for straight-line traction - it just squats down and takes off like a rocket with very little wheelspin (unless I provoke it of course). However things get a bit sketchy when I try to take corners at any sort of speed! I plan to do a full suspension overhaul in the near future, as soon as I can afford it basically.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be doing the work by myself and a friend who is a very good wrench. As for the type of transmission I'll be going 6-speed. I haven't checked on drivetrain parts yet. I just got the thought of doing it in the last week. I really appreciate the advive thanks :D

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Re: 2JZGTE PRoject

BlueSupraDevil said:
Norbie, I love the video. Has the car gone on the track yet? What suspension setup do you have?

Nick
Norbie,

Video? What video is BlueSupraDevil talking about? I looked on your website and didn't find anything...unless I missed it?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I found the post - got a 404 Error - file not found. Guess Oregon State took it down or it was removed. Bummer, I really wanted to see it.

·
3,283 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
holy shit norbie....i knew a 2jz would pull hard in a mk2 but after seeing that video you have proved me wrong....it pulls FUCKING hard...lol....man norbie you have lots of power there man, the backend just bounces after each shift...I love it. btw is that your best run yet?

charlie

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes that's the only time I've taken my car to a drag strip. I'd love to go out again though and try for a better time; I did a 2.7 60ft on that run so there's plenty of room for improvement! I have better suspension and a TrueTrac now so I should be able to launch much better.

Having said that, my car currently has a second-hand W57 out of an RA60 while I save up for a real box, so no drags for a while - I'll smash it to bits if I try racing with that!

·
3,283 Posts
lol,

Well, at least you were able to keep it from spinning the tires in 4th gear.....

find any other vids?

·
Registered
119 Posts
all i have to say is that you are the god of the univerus rite now. and oh yeah i could tell you didnt do so well on the 60 foot and what was the part where the car jumped twice? were you double clutching or something or is it because to much power for traction :shock: 8)

·
Registered
97 Posts
if you want to save a couple thousand i recomend going 1jzgte.
other than that you are looking at a high bill :shock:

my 2j is no good :cry: i stopped driving the dam thing because it kept shutting off as soon as i pushed the clutch. so i decided to pull the motor out and look at the crank. sure enough my worst fears had come true. my thrust beerings had fell off. now my crank is shot, block, all the rod bearings are scored. the complete block was gone!!. for another 2jzgte im looking at around and no less than $2,500. so i have decided to go 1j.
the cause of that incident with the thrust bearings falling out was that dam dual diaphram preasure plate that someone told me to use.. im not sayibg any names..... :twisted:

anyway good luck or maybe you have allready compeated the swap since it has been a while..
[email protected]
e-mail me if you have any questions....

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Hey Jav, Seamus here. Just wondering if those are your epsilons in your sig pic there. I'd expect a front 16x10 to stick out waaaay beyond whats there. I've been scheming to figure out how to fit a 9 inch wheel up front without it sticking past the flare, there just isn't enough room for it. Good luck with your next motor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts