Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Would you purchase a calendar for $20-25?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, too much $

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD ASAP:

http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=40444#40444

We are going to take payments for the calendars starting 12/1/2003. Price: $32.00 shipped (via check or money order). $33.75 (via Paypal) Please order ASAP, this will ensure prompt shipment.

Its time to get cracking on this calendar idea. These will be the rules:

1. I will do my best to NOT have duplicates from last year. Of course, this is assuming I have enough good quality pics/cars.

2. I want only calendar worthy cars. I will do the deed of being calendar nazi. Why? I want this to be as professional as possible, and typically such calendars show the best of the best. I will be responsible for choosing which cars go in the calendar, but you can rest assured they will be the finest examples in our community. My car will NOT be in the calendar, this way no one can pretend Im playing favorites.

3. I do not want chicks, or anything cheesy like that. I want super clean thought out pictures. Cool backgrounds, action etc. just follow the basic rules of photography. For tips, look here: http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/home.html

BAD PIC:

GOOD PIC:

Here is an excellent 'creative' pic:

4. Car can be stock, modded, whatever.

5. I am thinking just 1 quality shot per page. I am not into having inset images of engine/interior etc..when they are typically too small to appreciate any detail that may be there.

6. High quality (3++ megapixel) digital images / slides / 8"x10" prints are accepted formats. More to follow here.

7. I was going to seek a local shop to do these, or if all else fails go to Kinkos like Dupler did last year. His calendar looked great. Does anyone on here have any experience making nice calendars? I remember someone offering assistance, but I forgot who it was :( I want the price to be $20-24 to the members. This can be taken offline via PM.

8. This is a forum, so please reply with input. I encourage all input!!

Get your photographer caps ready, and go scout the perfect backdrop.....its time to put this bad boy together :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Can't wait. :drool: It's always nice to see great Supra's in one place. :eek:nfire:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I still love Supras...Let me start again,... I still love MK2 Supras
but I must say thats a nice pic of the VW's.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
hey Malloy how about you give us a peek of pics of this years (2003) calendar (maybe the past months), for those of us that missed out on the GB last year :wink: :p

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
WOO HOO!!!!

Another MKII calendar is in the works!!!! The calendar that Phil Dupler did last year came out well, for what was done with it. Can't wait for the next one. Although, I'm still slightly bummed that my car did not make it last year.

In my case, are multi generation pictures acceptable??? In this case, it would be the 85 Redpra & the 81 Silver Slug?? Will see if I can find a way to be creative about this.

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
Ok... Someone with a really mint car needs to let me toss it around the autoX a bit... I have some pictures, but my car's all dirty and the rims have 20yrs of brakedust accumulated. Not to mention the front corner is now bunged up a bit... (cries)

Oh well, maybe I'll have a nice car by next years calendar...

--BillyM
(btw, sign me up for a calendar)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Mike, what is the deadline for pictures to be submitted?

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Ditto on the deadline question. Also when you say no repeats do you mean the same car from the previous year is not eligilble or the same pic? What if the car has changed a fair bit?

For digital image submissions, I highly recomend you accept nothing short of a 3+ megapixel image (2048x1500 something). My pic that was in last years was printed from a 1600x1200 image and it wasen't enough, it looked blurry when it was blown up while the original image was crystal clear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ummm, I think that may have been me that offered help a while ago, I work at a print shop in the electronic prepress department. However on Aug 4, I am leaving for Norway and will be gone for 3 weeks...

We print everything here at 350dpi, 300 is standard for us, at the most and I'm not too familiar with megapixels, but I do know that some cameras just plain don't take pictures higher than 72dpi. They look great on screen, but fuzzy printed out, especially if blown up. 100%size = 72dpi, 200%size = 36dpi,really rough, etc. So you really need to know eventual output size (in inches, so you wind up with 300 Dots Per Inch when printed on a press) when you take the picture so if it is to be enlarged, there is enough resolution to support it.

So if you take a 4x5" picture at 300dpi and blow it up 200% to 8x10, the dpi goes down by half to 150 and will still look great on the monitor which displays everything at 72dpi but start to look fuzzy when printed. I you blow it up more the resolution gets worse and worse.

I hope I managed to explain this in a way that makes sense. It's one of my goals to inform the entire world why 72 dpi (like web images) will look like crap when enlarged. I'll step down now.

I also do all the scanning here and can output film, but it sounds like it may get printed on a DocuColor or something not like a traditional press. (Still need 300dpi!)

What quantity are you thinking of having done? I can talk to a salesperson here and see if it's feesible to keep it in the price range, but we normally do high quantity runs, but we have other locations...

I'm happy to help with what I can, but will be without continuous internet connection for most of August. How I will survive I don't know.

Oh yeah, I'll be on an island on the southern coast of Norway eating raspberries and enjoying the boats going by on those loooong summer days.:D

LMK, I have a week or so left before vacation, and I'll be back the 21st, and will definitely check the forum if AT ALL POSSIBLE from over there.
Fray

P.S. My Supra is NOT worthy of the calendar, but I have some pics from when it was new in 84!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Pic Tips

Hey thanks, Malloy, for the location of photography tips. I really needed that as I was doing it all wrong! :p
I'm looking forward to '04 calender.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your car in the calendar Mr. Defonce!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hey Chad,
Thanks. But 1st I need to figure out where and how to take photos! That's one thing I ain't good at! I'm gonna have to work on taking a decent photo worthy to be in a calender. 8)

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I'm in and I will submit.

Were any images from my site acceptable or do you want better?

Please let me know.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
my car isnt worthy, but im going to try and get my friends mint SDR shot a couple times, and artm should definitely send in pics of his car. :)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i would definitly buy a calender of our cars, i have a great picture but the background isn't that good.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Are you saying no repeats of cars that were featured or just repeats of pictures that were in the last calendar?

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chad/seamus: I am not sure of a date yet. Once I talk with a calendar place I will let everyone know. It cant hurt to get them in early though :)

wes: I will try to not have the same cars that were in the 03 calendar.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.