3.73 Rear end
85mph speedo

Him (My boss)
2008 Audi S4
4.2L V8 NA
6-speed gearbox
Unknown Gearing
180mph Speedo

I caught him across the intersection from me when I made my left turn and he pulled up behind me. We have 'raced' before, but I was only running on 4cylinders. So I'm the first on the freeway. It is a clover-leaf intersection. I am in 2nd at about 25 when I begin the turn, he is on my ass. I gun it and the lovely acceleration at 2800 in second gets me a step ahead.

I hit 4k in 5th by the end of the onramp. He is trailing behind me - doing 60.

I do my usual move to the HoV lane and figure he ain't playing along. So I sit at 65mph in 5th. About a mile down the freeway, I see this black S4 coming up in my mirror. I drop into 4th, 3800 RPM. His bumper matches my rear bumper, I gun it. He does too. I hit 5200 and shift into 5th at about 70mph - 5th at 3 grand. I keep wailing on my throttle and he slowly catches up to me.

My speedometer climbs and climbs to 86 mph, then starts to bounce. RPM steadily climbs - 4,000... 4,200... 4,500... 4,700 RPM in FIFTH! 70mph is at 3k.

He slows when he is beside me, smirks, and slowly pulls off. I can't catch him, so I slowly let down off the throttle and follow him onto the offramp. He lives to the left, I turn right to go home. I pull up beside him with a smile on my face and honk. He rolls down his window.

Curious, I ask "How fast was that?"
-ehh, about 135
"you or me?"
-me.
"What about me?"
-ehh, about 120. Maybe 123 when my license plate was ahead of you
"Sweet"

Defeated, I broke free the rear on the wide right turn at the end of the offramp. It was a fun run, and he was surprised that after 30 years, my car can still put up a fight. I keep bragging that my 7mgte will beat him - especially on the freeway like that. Oh, if only it were closer...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
you shifted at 5200 rpm? lol he was probably screaming that s4... good write up though... sounds like a blast

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts