Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

2017 "Tail of the Dragon" - April 27-30

12K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  CLToy 
#1 ·

What is "Deals Gap" aka "The Dragon" aka "Tail of the Dragon" aka "Hwy129"?
"The Dragon" is located ~1hr south of Knoxville TN and ~2.5hrs north of Atlanta GA.
The road is a popular and internationally famous destination for driving enthusiasts.
The 11-mile stretch of the Dragon in Tennessee is said to have 318 curves. (I checked, it does...)

[HR][/HR]What's the plan for the weekend, where do we start, where do we stop and when do we eat!
--Reference Map (open in a new tab/window)--

--Resort Map (open in a new tab/window)--

This year will be organized with our group tentatively being based 100% out of Fontana Village Resort (point "A" on the Reference Map)
Please see below for lodging and reservation group-rate details.

Following is a rough estimation of the overall weekend, with Saturday being the primary meet day:

Thursday April 27th
I arrive ~1pm, relax with the crew, wander the resort, volleyball, maybe a short hike?

Friday April 28th
9:30am: pancake and egg breakfast by BillyM at cabin 420
11am: spirited cruise down the Dragon (A-B-A on the Reference Map)
3pm: Official cruise down the Cherohala Skyway - NEW for 2017
8pm: dinner at Wildwood Grill

Saturday April 29th
9:00-10am: car-wash/shine (fuel up if less than 1/2 tank)
10am-2pm: official Dragon cruise and photo-ops at the dam (A-B-D on the Reference Map)
2-4pm: official meet lunch at the Wildwood Grill
5-6pm: mini-golf tournament at with prizes - fun for all ages but bring your A-game
9-10pm: campfire at cabin 420 - BYOM(arshmallows)

Sunday April 30th
7:30-9am: short mountain hike and photography opportunity
10am: official farewell breakfast at The Mountainview up at the lodge
11:30: check out and trip home

The meet will cover ~100 miles Friday (optional) and another ~55miles Saturday of some of the greatest driving roads to be experienced. Cruising speed will be brisk but kept to a safe pace so no one feels the need to cross the double-yellow. Additionally, there are 3 full-time photographers on the 11-mile stretch who sell digital copies online.

Cell-phone reception is spotty at best, so please bring a 2-way radio.[/url]

[HR][/HR]Where can I stay, because it's a heck of a drive?
We'll be staying at the Fontana Village Resort, amenities can bee seen at their website: (www.fontanavillage.com)

Unit Type Rate Number Available!
Reservation Date 4/27 4/28 4/29 4/30
Lodge Room with two queen beds $89.00 5
Lodge Room with one king bed $89.00 3
1Bedroom Maple Cabin $129.00 3
1 Bedroom Willow Cabin $99.00/$109.00 6
2BR/1BA Hemlock Cabin $139.00 3
2BR/1BA Hickory Cabin $159.00 4
3BR/2 bath Azalea Cabin $215.00 1

OK - these are the rooms available and we can go ahead and reserve when ready - reference "CelicaSupra 2017" and don't forget to schedule early so you can get your pick of cabin locations.

[HR][/HR]More info, general notes, and answers to questions.
With help from CJ and JohnB, I made the pilgrimage April 2011 and found it too nice to not share.
2012 provided a HUGE turnout of attendees, staying in Robbinsville and having a darn good time overall.
2013, greater than 20 cars make it out to our stay at Fontana Village for a long weekend, lets do it again!
2014, better than 18 cars who enjoyed a BEAUTIFUL weekend and wonderful time in the mountains.
In 2015, we hit 29 supras, and had a wonderful time with some great runs all while dodging the rain.
In 2016, we had 20 supras come out for some of the best weather we've ever experienced.

Please post any thoughts/questions or simply to say "I'm in and plan to arrive Thursday afternoon" here.

Looking forward to it, and hope to see many of you in April,
--billyM

See less See more
#4 ·
I think we should have a Sat afternoon skyway drive. Breakfast, 2 hours allotted for dragon, lunch, Skyway drive, Group hangout at restaurant/ or mini cookout then retire.

Friday would not suffice as Billy stated, its a travel day. I didn't have vacation to make it down sooner and only arrived Friday evening. next year I'll have vacation but not everyone will be able to attend friday.
I really wanted to make it to the skyway this year and didn't get to.

#5 ·
Ok, you're both off the planning committee and I'm reconsidering taking out the "please post any thoughts/questions here" line for future year posting. Hahah!

The Cherohala Skyway is a long drive and splits the group - not something we need to be doing on the primary meet day as it dissolves group photo options and makes event planning a pain. Want to drive the Skyway? ...take Friday off and do-so.

--billyM

#12 ·
Maybe driving from Texas to The Dragon isn't so far or so boring as to make suicide seem like a better choice. But coast to coast definitely is. As wonderful as The Dragon just has to be, I'll only see it if I win the lottery, which isn't going to happen until I've been hit by lightning twice and lived or, Ronnie Foster comes out and gets me. I seem to remember signing something absolving him of all responsibility in my kidnapping, or something like that. It's all kind of fuzzy now. It probably was whenever I was coerced into signing whatever it is too. Hell, it probably was my idea in the first place.
Let's see... Nebraska, 468 miles, three cornfields separated by two gas stations. It would be hard to take even if the speed limit was 200 MPH. Etcetera, etcetera. Yeah, it's nice that cereal for the whole world is grown somewhere between the two coasts. Whoopie shit. I don't need or want to see it or 99% of the rest in between ever again. When I was much younger, I did it a few times and by the second trip, it was nearly unbearable. I did it once more a few years later, but only one way. But maybe a night only road trip would be doable at a little more reasonable pace, say 125 MPH.
Anyone know where a cheap cloaking device can be found? Didn't think so. Anyone want to donate a Ferrari that's fast enough to outrun a helicopter? Doesn't need a rear view mirror. No? How about free space for the car on a cargo plane? Nyet? Well, that still leaves Ronnie....

#15 ·
I spoke with our contact at Fontana Village and they have two other car groups signed up (Boxers and S2k's) so make sure to get your reservations in ASAP. The discounted group rates are only good until the beginning of February, but you might not have a chance to book at all if you don't call sooner than later.

Cheers,
BillyM

#23 ·
I'm book into a Maple #655. Arriving Thursday as usual. When are you heading out, Jeff? Looking forward to another great year! CHEERS to Billy!

The only thing you know for certain is, hey, you never know.
Scott

#30 ·
Getting ready for the trip. Heading to the Outer Banks for several days before hitting the Dragon. Looking forward to seeing everyone again! Safe travels.

#34 ·
Jeff, the Supra stays home with a BHG. Not completely gone but don't want to risk having trouble so far away from home. Also figured it wouldn't do so well on the beaches of the Outer Banks :). Will bring it down next year with a fresh engine. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.