• Maybe later this summer.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details.

1.5" wide core. Factory AL rads are 5/8", heavy duty are 1".

Downflow like stock. Certainly not as efficient as cross flow, but
much easier than phunkin with hose fitment.

Welded aluminum tanks. No Epoxy.

Roughly equivilant to a 3 core brass, but much much lighter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow - Jim, this would be a smokin deal for those considering it.. As you may recall, I went with Don's 3 core rad from US Radiator.. stock tanks - 3 core brass.. hhheeeaavvvyyyy - but 97% solved the high temp issue when going -gte here in the cool 120F summers.... You come up with good ideas/products.. wish you were on the west side of the US... Jay B

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suprajayaz said:
Wow - Jim, this would be a smokin deal for those considering it.. As you may recall, I went with Don's 3 core rad from US Radiator.. stock tanks - 3 core brass.. hhheeeaavvvyyyy - but 97% solved the high temp issue when going -gte here in the cool 120F summers.... You come up with good ideas/products.. wish you were on the west side of the US... Jay B
Hey, I wish I was in a more warmer climate. This years North East winter sucked!

Finding these guys was a strange series of events. I heard from an
OEM aluminum core mfg they were getting into more downflow performance rads. A phone call here, e-mail there, then this guy
says he's making Acura aluminum rads for less than Fluidyne.

This rad is *almost* the same as a MK2 in terms of dimensions.

He has some way of stamping tanks, so he is re-configuring it for a Supra.

I might have one as soon as two weeks from now.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Jim, that is definetly a smoking price if you could get it for under $250. I've priced completely custom AL rads in the low 600s for a one off direct fit. I'd definetly be interested in that price range.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
My gte car is on its second radiator. The original developed little pinholes in the top tank. The replacement already seeps a little around the seam of the top tank. The bluepra has the original radiator but its got about a half dozen solder spots on the top tank. The redpra has its original rad in good shape but its always had toyota red in it, never any of the green or orange stuff, and I'm beginning to suspect that may have something to do with the corrosion on the others. I'm going to need some radiators in the near future. I payed $160 for 1-800-radiator but I'm not impressed with the quality. I'm sure these cool better but how does aluminum hold up compared to the stock material?

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pdupler said:
My gte car is on its second radiator. The original developed little pinholes in the top tank. The replacement already seeps a little around the seam of the top tank. The bluepra has the original radiator but its got about a half dozen solder spots on the top tank. The redpra has its original rad in good shape but its always had toyota red in it, never any of the green or orange stuff, and I'm beginning to suspect that may have something to do with the corrosion on the others. I'm going to need some radiators in the near future. I payed $160 for 1-800-radiator but I'm not impressed with the quality. I'm sure these cool better but how does aluminum hold up compared to the stock material?

Phil D.
Depends on the mfg and how they make them. I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Very interested! I have three soops and one almost totally good rad! Getting my project rolling so yeah, it'll need a rad!

Keep us posted and as always, love the work you do for the MK2 community!

Nick

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Jim,I am definately interested.Don.C. and myselfalways thought the brass unit he had built was overpriced and overweight.But,it was the "only" option Don found,within any reasonable price.We still have 1 left at Nix,but as I recall,retail is $350,and we are not making enough markup to continue supplying it,and stock it.Keep us informed,cooling should be great,weight always helps,and aluminum always looks cool 8)

·
Registered
517 Posts
well I need one soon cause mine is also leaking slowly in the front
a friend showed me where the pin holes were, I guess like Phils at the top.
I could easly get one from the wrecker but have no idea how much it would cost and installation, if its too much then it makes sence to get new one.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dzone said:
well I need one soon cause mine is also leaking slowly in the front
a friend showed me where the pin holes were, I guess like Phils at the top.
I could easly get one from the wrecker but have no idea how much it would cost and installation, if its too much then it makes sence to get new one.
Do what Don did to my stock pinholed radiator before leaving WA to head back to AZ.... wire wheel, sandpaper and JB weld the hole. Some black paint and it looked and worked well.. Hope this holds you over till the Jim King aluminum radiator is available... If you need one now, and the stock one works ok in your climate, try radiators.com (TX) for the CSF brand.. I think this is in Jim's car now... Jay B.. powered and cooled by Don C and Sean P's surgical knowledge..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Jim,
Will this be a one time buy or will they be avail in the future also?

How well does aluminum hold up over time compared to a stock copper one? Just curious, and yes, I'm interested! 8)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect these aluminum rads will last longer as they are welded.

Naturally, the key for longevity is changing the antifreeze once a year.

I think the buy-one price should be at $250. I'm hoping for a group discount.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i'm interested too Jim.... maybe we can arrange it along with your wiring adaptor 4 the 7m swap when you come to canada in August :p
Later
Mark

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is this radiator going to have a provision for a temp sensor to be installed? If not could it? Thanks Bill

·
Registered
257 Posts
Whats the lead time on these? I'm in NEED of one BADLY.... I can get a stock one for 135.00 but I would spend the extra cash if its in the not-so-distant future.
hanks,
Brian
radiator leakin' like a siv(sp) :x :bad-word:

1 - 20 of 132 Posts