Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.importtuner.com/features/impp_0909_2003_lexus_is300/index.html

Saw this article in the new stand and red it, drooled over the pictures, checked my bank account, and made up my mind.

Iv been researching 2J swaps for a while now but lately its been getting serious. Then my buddy put a skyline motor in his 240sx and is pushing me for my upgrade. i wanna do this swap right but don't want to spend $$$,$$$ on it. I plan to make a good drag/drift/cruising car i can tear up at the track then take my girl to diner with afterward.

Can it be done start to "running/driving" for around 3k? that's motor, trans, wires, Everything? What ball park figures should i be expecting?

I want a single turbo later on, would starting with a gtte be the same as starting with a ge motor? is it worth it to upgrade later or go all out right off the bat?

i plan on upgrading "everything" in the car over time but would like to start with the power plant, thoughts?

What would be the best rear end, and exhaust upgrades for me running a 6m now and a 2j turbo down the line?

This is a shoot from the hip post and the project probably wont get underway till next summer but i want to get all my ducks in a row is it were.

Thats all for now,
Cordell

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you want budget then na-t is the way to go. A good 2jz-ge can be had for pennies compared to the GTE. Go over to clubna-t.com and do a little reading. A lot of people are making good power out of the NA on slim budgets.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
If you want it done, installed, and be able to handle drag, drift, and daily driving, I'd say you're looking more along the lines of $5-7K when all is said and done. If you do most/all of the work yourself, you can look at $1-2K less.

The total I gave included suspension and brakes ;)

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I think if you shop around for deals, do most all of the work yourself, and go with just a stock 2j for now you could have it done for around your budget...

but do take into consideration the brake and suspension upgrades that need to be done when you put a motor much more powerful in.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems i can get a motor trans and sometime wires for around 2k. I plan on full upgrade of breaks and suspention but thats another budget :)

Figure with all this rebuild it might be worth it to do a 5 lug swap while im at it. More configurations for breaks and rims, no?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Its a lot more expensive in the end then it is on paper.

(all approx)
$2000 for engine and wiring seems about average
$3-400 for a r154
$400 or so for a clutch
$450 for a dive shaft
$200 intercooler + tubing
$300 for an exhaust
$255 engine mounts

And prob $1500 in extra goodies your not going to know you needed until you get started and thats not counting paying someone else if you don't have a welder etc. Start with 5k and work from there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i think the above post surmised it well. however the nuances of 25+ year old springs, shocks, stock brakes, suspension and bushings, a proper true track diff, fuel management and fuel pump(s), turbo timers, add in a rebuild turbo and perhaps a overall engine freshening its easy to add 10K on to that total and still not be done.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blast! enough of you haters ;)
I got my 4x4 to get me around so i can take all the time in the world on this project. i have a welder and can weld myself. i dont know half the shit ill need to know but im a fast learner and i know the people to teach me. Ill build my motor and trans one piece at a time, out of the car. Get intercooler tubing hoses wires ect along the way. Do my best to have all my ducks in a row before i tear into the old girl.
I want this, if it takes a year, shit if it take two... I WILL have my 2J MKII.

keep the advice coming,
Cordell

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Good luck with the project, hit me up if you need advice or just someone to talk things over with.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
You can do it for around 3 depending on your desire to spend money. I.E. you can save a but load of money using the w58, stock d-shaft and diff. Granted you will want to leave the engine mostly stock but it'll work. Just doing that one little thing would save you a major chunk of change. Doing the wiring yourself, pretty easy stuff (I posted a wiring guide) that'll save you a 450-1000 dollars there.

It can be done you just have to shop for the deals and steals. A few of us on hear have connections and can source GTE's for relatively cheap. (jdm mostly :/)

Good luck with the swap, keep us updated, and don't be shy to ask questions. :twodrunkg

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If i were to get a tired motor and rebuild it top to bottom what would be a good price for the engine? iv seen them on CL for as low as $600. that cheap i wouldnt truct just dropping it in. What price range can you rebuild one for? only needing a shop to mechine head and crank, can do all assembily myself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You would most likely be better off getting an engine from a importer that puts a guarantee on it and claims to test it, blah blah blah. And drive the piss out of it until you kill it. Because its going to cost about what one of those engines would cost to completely rebuild a tired one.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I'll look for my receipts for the machine work but you'll spend equally as much for one that runs but used. Provided you can get the 2J for 600 to free. Also you'll spend even more if it doesn't come with electronics... I figured that out the hard way.. haha

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ya, great point, make sure you get one with an uncut harness its rough enough with a full harness and ECU.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still looking for an exhaust answer. What would be a good size/set up to go with running a "stock" 6m w/ intake now and planning on this swap down the road?

Id like to do as much as i can to get the car ready and running better while i can.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you just go with a 3" cat back that should work for both, your just going to have to make everything forward of the cat to fit the JZ. There really are no bolt on options since no two JZ swaps are alike.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
You're best off buying a cat back set up that fits our cars...either Raptor or the Chimp can help out with those. Than it's just a matter of making a downpipe that attaches to the cat back. I went 3" Raptor for my car. 3" on a turbo engine is a must.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3 inch it is my friends! im thinking of building it myself, been working on a roll bar for my truck and getting pretty handy with a wire welder.

thanks!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts