Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2JZ is for the long learning 85 turbo project that still needs tons of work and eventually a > rebuild, R154, flywheel, clutch, converting to manual figuring out the pull type system, bigger single, and many other things when time and funds allow. Once I get it in the engine bay, I'm doing a compression check & need to try and finish prepping the 82, so close to primer, but since the 2jz arrived on a crate, I had no more room with the 82 up against the wall and now heavilly distracted. But I couldn't help but get one now to start figuring things out like all the sensors, wiring, piping for intercooler and mainly to learn about going turbo! I sure would like to have gotten a front cut, but no room and happen to be in strict residential area.

I noticed the CT20 on the right has seized with some buildup. Wonder if you guys call it number 1 or 2 turbo? I'm thinking wich ever spools first is called number 1. Or it could be possible I just made it up in my mind. I do that alot. The left one is much cleaner and spins nice with no play. I'm trying to see if I can swich to a small single like a GT35 with the factory ecu. For me its plenty of power to start off with even the stock ceramic CT20's and get a chance to learn about the stock factory system. I'm trying to tell myself over and over to worry about the looks later on this one. I've noticed its really easy to want to have more on your already overboard projects. I'll try and document whatever I do on this one. Will be slow though.

The one that seized.

The left one that still looks pretty good.

I was able to drag it onto a small dolley an drag it around to the front in the only possible position to set it in there. Broke some vac line connections while doing it. Its between the bumper and compressor tank. Where I planned for it to be to try and make it possible with such limited space. Just like the crate that barely fit between the cars. A little nervous but feeling a little bit lucky. Its how I took the 5m w/tranny out that what in there, and set it down just like in the pic. But I wasn't expecting it to be so huge, its bigger than my big block with everything on it.

Heres an earlier version of Nic's motor mounts before the nicer looking ones on the group buy came out, I like to think of these as v1 mounts. I can get these to my liking plus looks are for later. Putting them on tomorrow night hopefully.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
2JZ + GT35R is the perfect combo for a MkII. It will make your conversion that much easier if you do this from the start. Stock ECU will run it nicely if you keep the boost at moderate levels, I ran mine like this for a couple of months.

·
Registered
861 Posts
And the fun begins!

Yep those are the first sets I have done to the JZ swap and is exactly what I still have on my car. Since I'm no bling king they will stay that way.

Will keep an eye on your build, have fun with it!

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Norbie, thanks so much for mentioning that. Will definately go with a single. Somehow worried I'd need a standalone with 2 fuel pumps and was looking everywhere on SF seeing what folks were running on stock ecu's.

Thanks again for the mounts Nic! Happy to hear you're still using them. I was so tempted to get the V3's.

Thanks Username, I appreciate the advice and you guys have already helped alot.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Youd be ok with a SAFC2/Neo for now if you have a stock fuel system. You can get MKIV 550's(you'd need the injector resistor pack also) and a walbro pump or even the stock MKIV denso pump on about 14-17lbs and be ok. There is no dual pump setup for our tanks unless you make one yourself not sure if its possible though I never really looked into it. You can do what I did and weld a sump onto the stock tank and run an external pump. Im still in the process of getting mine running. As for your turbo choice get one that best suits you. Research on turbos there is a lot to learn! Ive spent countless hours on the web just reading about them, what is the best one a/r for my application, how big of a tubine wheel I should get, and even the angle of the blades make a huge difference. Just be patient with this project. And dont cheap out on anything! Any questions and Id be glad to help to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent info! Sounds like 1 Walbro 255lph internal fuel pump should do it for now. I was thinking about those 550's, I might do that. The tank is still dirty. So much to do, I can only learn to be more patient it seems. I'm thinking once you go with 2 pumps than a fuel cell might be the way to go, but trying not to get ahead of myself. Actually excited to one day do some custom fuel lines and pumps.

This project is intended for oem or better and gets all the good stuff. The others have to settle for the cheap or used stuff for now so this project can even be possible. Heard a few others with some awsome turbo projects say if they can do it again. They would have completely finished the engine before painting the engine bay. Plus I have suspension and big brakes to finish and also 16"+ wheels and tires to get. Most likely a 3.7 True Trac for the diff. Would like to get her in running order with a planned out engine bay before a full rebuild if possible, that might be needed, so trying to see the compression numbers before getting a single turbo and changing the belts and seals. In case I need a full rebuild kit plus the machine shop costs.

Still a few more places to get before the stock turbo can come off. And the other side I have to see if I can remove the piece that holds the oil filter to get some leverage to unbolt just that top left bolt on the original mounts.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the turbo off and easier access to the top left bolt on both original JZ motor mounts, they're the hardest to get any leverage on out of the engine bay. I noticed on the intake side the piece that holds the oil filter looks to be an oil cooler, thats cool! The auto tranny oil lines to what I believe go to an oil cooler up front, are in the way of one of the motor mounts and would have to be changed if you were to keep the auto. I had to find some spacers around 5mm to get the original bolts on tight. Exhaust side is now on good. Now I'm looking for some spacers for the mounts on the other side since the original mounts were a little longer, I took some pics of them next to each other. They appear to be grade 5 bolts that was on the JZ mounts. I think I'll look for some shorter grade 8 bolts later that fit without spacers. Once I get spacers on the other bolts I'll try and throw her in the engine bay.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for mentioning that Austin! I have also been thinking about that gear too. Some say it is the perfect one. Definately will look more into it. I finished tightening all the bolts down on the mounts, hopefully can get her in there. Gonna double check the pics first that Nic posted before going for it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I noticed on the intake side the piece that holds the oil filter looks to be an oil cooler, thats cool!
Yes it's a water-to-oil heat exchanger. I recommend removing or bypassing this and running a conventional oil cooler instead. Your cooling system will have a hard enough time as it is without adding oil heat to the equation.
Get a 3.90, you will be happier in the long run i think.
Wrong. With a manual a tall ratio works much better, and I say this as someone who has had both. I have a 3.58:1 diff ratio at the moment but I'd go taller if I could.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
LUCKY!!

I agree taller gears the better, or else you might just be skipping 1st a lot ;) right Norbie?

Good luck with your swap! JZA61 FTW!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Norbie! Will run an oil cooler for sure. I thought so, that on a manual with turbo, the taller gears the better. plus Id like to use 1st. I heard also that if you start going taller than 3.7, is it true the gears start losing a little strength?

Hey thanks Leon! Appreciate any advice I can get.

I was trying to get her all the way in till about 11 pm last night. Some more stuff to get out of the way. I did have to take out the auto tranny crossmember to get the engine a little bit further in.
(added pics)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Actually excited to one day do some custom fuel lines and pumps. QUOTE]

I would put in new fuel lines, the stock ones go right through the tunnel, I moved all of mine and am glad because the first day i drove it i broke my driveshaft. But Good luck on the swap, It is all worth it in the end.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the recomendation Supra4life! Given it more thought than ever since I can see the fuel line & some brake lines nearly touching the auto tranny. New fuel lines to fab will be on the way. Maybe brake lines too since now would be the best time, right before the big brakes.

One bad thing so far is the LJM strut bar touches the intake manifold, plus i'm using old worn out engine mounts. Maybe the solid motor mounts will help lower it slightly, the front of the engine only needs to tilt or go down a little, about 5-7mm for the LJM bar to clear it. I think its partly the auto tranny not being on the correct crossmember causing it to hang low. I'm temporarily using the original auto tranny crossmember backwords with only 2 bolts and think the tranny should be up a few more inches higher where it sits on the crossmember.

I'm really anxious now for an R154, maybe it'll help the front half of the motor go down slightly and maybe is the reason the LJM bar touches the intake manifold. Finally had some time to work on it and get all the bolts to align and fit the engine mounts with the engine hoist off.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The project is looking great! I can't wait to see it in person!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts