Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I have started buying parts for my build and I am going to be putting in a 2jzge that I may turbo after, I read through the forum but most of the posts are sooooo old, So my question is this stock system I read was under 2" I am looking for something better flowing but I don't want super loud or cheap rice sound... many mufflers I have looked at are 2.25 or 3" in magnaflow the styles I like, I think the stock is300 or mk4 supra system was 2.5" and im going to need to buy some kind of front pipe (any ideas or make it) Do I buy something this?

Here are the mufflers I was looking at, a 2.25 a 2.50 and a 3

Also do I buy a high flow cat and or/a glass pack? I right now am open hearing any advise to help buying the correct things and avoid any type of future headaches... As always I appreciate any help and advise :) :)

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
The worst choice is a glass pack.They clog up or burn the packing out.A stainless steel one is an excellent choice because it will not rust or corrode as much as a steel plated muffler. Stainless down pipes are not as important. They dry out easily.High flow cat is a good idea for a turbo car because of the volume of air it must flow.Lots of air in,lots to go out.
A SS chambered muffler is an excellent choice. "Loud" is subjective term.Most of the good sounding Supra's run Flow Masters.As the diameter goes up,the cost increases.A 4 " exhaust system may prove difficult,especially on a lowered car.Space limitations.
I run an Ebay SS twin-pass muffler and it's crap.WAY too loud when the packing burns out.(Killer reverse lights)

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
General rule in muffler design the larger the internal volume and the more circuitous the route the quieter they are. Also the larger the diameter the more likely you will have drone. So any small straight thru muffler is going to be loud. If you want quiet you want something like the turbo mufflers that have an S shaped route. You can add reasonators and cats all help to quiet things down. Also magnaflows get louder as they age. The best kind of muffler IMO is a bimode exhaust.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if I go 3 inch any issues? I am going to lower the car at some point not crazy like slammed but maybe 1.5-2 inches

·
Registered
88 Posts
I run Magnaflow mufflers on most all of my vehicles because they do a really good job quieting things down while also having a deep, low-pitched grumble.

A single dual 3" in/dual 3" out Magnaflow muffler turned my family-mobile from NASCAR-loud to a quiet cruiser with just enough volume to let the 5.0 Mustangs know they don't want to play when I'm on the gas. They do get a bit louder as they age, but I prefer a straight-thru design for max flow. Heck, even my FJ runs a Magnaflow.

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
if I go 3 inch any issues? I am going to lower the car at some point not crazy like slammed but maybe 1.5-2 inches
On an n/a? It's going to be loud and droney imo. Look at a muffler like the varex. You get the best of both worlds that way.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Depending on your budget, they still make the mk3 turbo HKS Sport exhaust, which are available on eBay for around $500-600. I believe they fit with some modification to the piping. These are pretty quiet, have the classic look and have 3" piping.

Search for HKS LET-T16.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Magnaflow has an electronically-controlled valve inside the really spendy one. You can also run a mechanical muffler cut out to set off the car alarms in your hood. Need a 3 " exhaust pipe,cat back? I think that You Tube has muffler tests.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Use a 12" resonator, and then a good muffler. That should help keep it reasonable even with 3" piping.

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Billy, you'll likely find 3" on the NA to be ineffectively over-sized. Additionally, you don't have a turbine wheel (or two) sucking up all those exhaust pulses so the NA cars are substantially more likely to drone without a resonator and/or catalytic converter. My suggestion would be a good aftermarket 2.5" cat, resonator, and Magnaflow out back to keep the look.

.Most of the good sounding Supra's run Flow Masters.
You're wrong and you should feel bad about it...

--billyM

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up finding a NOS HKS stainless steel muffler for $50 Canadian plus $40 shipping, So if its loud so be it at least I know its a quality muffler and hopefully it sounds good, it was the size inlet I was looking for as well as the body size, if I don't like it hey its $90 that's pretty much what they want around here for something oem style, Here is some pics $_59hhbhhbhbhj.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Kind of doubt that is a real hks muffler and why are there wire hanging out of it. Looks like a Chinese special to me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look up if HKS ever actually sold a muffler with LED's in it?

What does the inside look like when you shine a flashlight down it - straight through with a perforated wall?

--billyM
I will check once I get a chance I really hope its real, I am having issues trying to look up HKS model numbers, When did LED mufflers start coming out?

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
You can tell yourself it is a stainless steel muffler. People get HUNG UP on brand names! Looks pretty,the price is right...RUN IT!Make adjustments as required.LED lights? EH.Mine is made of......... Chinesium and I'm OK with it.Your welder can BOND the SS to mild steel with the right rod.
Mine was $40 and a $90 install. You will have plenty of options to make the sound to you way that you want it.(MODIFY) I was not happy with my initial install,so a resonator was added to make it more mellow. SOUND. I even added more(motorcycle shop) muffler packing to quiet it down even more. You have many choices to change the way the exhaust sounds like the way that you want it to sound like.Mine was not plug in and play,so I changed it a bit. It is now very mellow.No drone,not raspy,but I don't run headers,but my CAT is still in there. The sound is a "burble" during deceleration. HUMMMM,BURRRR.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts