Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I just started THE Project. I just bought and picked up a 2002 Lexus IS300 2JZGE with the Automatic Tranny+TipTronic and the Drive shaft and the Guage cluster.

Now the real fun starts.

I will be polishing various parts while the engine is out to make it look nicer than it already is. I have a few local guys that have been more than willing to lend a hand. Honestly membership does have it's previledges, the Toronto Supra Club guys have already given me so much help, and the offers keep coming. :shock:

Well I will keep you guys posted. :!:

Norbies site is what compelled me to undertake this project to begin with. So far no regrets. The brain hurts a little more, but can't wait to start getting Dirty. In all honesty Norbie if you are on this forum thanks for all the advice and your site is a wealth of information.

Nick
:twisted:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Good luck. I have the engine that you describe with the manual tranny and it's very nice - the VVT gives it a _very_ flat torque curve.

...but I'm not a fan of the slushbox.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Are there any guys on this list that have done the 1jzgte conversion. I want more power but dont want the reliabilty problems of the 7mgte, and the 2jzgte looks way to difficult and expensive. If i went 1jzgte which cars should I get the front clip from? Would the mk3 supra 2.5tt engine mount up I seem to remember someone saying that it does not fit? Any ideas on a rough costing for such a project?

Regards
Pat

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
the mkiii 2.5TT engine is the 1JZ-GTE.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nick,
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your car is gonna be sweeet!
That IS300 cluster is going to look HOT in a MK2.

Joseph

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
supramad77 said:
I know that but I thought that this engine was fitted to different cars with different cross members and sumps making the fit different.
That is certainly very possible. :)

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Supermad77 & others.

The MKII list is only aware of ONE person who had done the 1J conversion, and that would be Frank in Australia (can't find his website at the moment).

According to Frank, you will need to acquire a 1JZ front cut from a Japan Spec JZXxx Chaser. The motor from a JZA70 MKIII Supra will not fit, due to crossmember clearance problems. The Chaser motor will drop right in w/ no clearance problems.

HTH....

·
Registered
516 Posts
:eek: Man thats gonna be really cool to see someone use a is300 in a mk2,
I always thought about that, But Did I hear right??? using also the instument tach,ya??.. I think that will fit hmmm.. have to look at the inside again, thats smart!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Dzone said:
using also the instument tach,ya??.. I think that will fit hmmm.. have to look at the inside again, thats smart!
It should be pretty close. The IS300 cluster may be a little taller and narrower, but the general shape is the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i was looking at doing th 1JZ swap, but a guy who did it told me that you need the 1JZ from the Chaser, because the sump is front mounted and fits into the MKII. The common 1JZ is from the soarer and that uses a mid-mounted sump which doesnt fit in the MKII's because of the crossmember or something. :evil: :x
Altho you can always get the sump modified... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ive got a mate who has the 2JZ conversion, lucky for him he had sponsership on the project and he walked away with a very nice cheap conversion.

I was seriously thinking the 1JZ conversion, but i dont think i can afford it, so i may just settle for the 7M-GTE.
i was thinking of getting the MKIII half-cut with the 7M-GTE.
just wonderingif that dash would fit into the MKII? or at least the insrument panel..... cause im just not into this digital display in the Australian specs :roll:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i was looking at doing th 1JZ swap, but a guy who did it told me that you need the 1JZ from the Chaser, because the sump is front mounted and fits into the MKII. The common 1JZ is from the soarer and that uses a mid-mounted sump which doesnt fit in the MKII's because of the crossmember or something.

Same deal with the 7M oil pan. Has to be swapped for a 5M pan then a modified pickup installed. If the 1JZ comes either way then it should be easier, just use the pan and pickup from the Chaser.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
mAcr0s said:
i was thinking of getting the MKIII half-cut with the 7M-GTE.
just wonderingif that dash would fit into the MKII? or at least the insrument panel..... cause im just not into this digital display in the Australian specs :roll:
I think it would take a lot of hacking to fit a Mk3 instrument panel in a Mk2... from memory they are quite a different shape. If you want conventional intrumentation (the digital dash pisses me off as well), you might be better off grabbing an instrument panel from an RA6x Celica - they will swap right in.

FWIW this is the dash I'm using as part of my 2JZ conversion... it's from a JZS147 Aristo:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks norbie,

I shouldnt have to much trouble sourcing a celica display.
as for the conversion.. which do you think would be the best (bang for buck)
1JZGTE or 7MGTE?

i have had quotes for both engines in half-cuts and they are about the same cost. But then theres the cost of getting the engine put in... any ideas of costs?

and i gotsa have me air-con too :p

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It depends what level of performance you're after. If you're happy with the performance of a stock 7M, I'd say that's your best option. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to own a modified 7M... I have several friends who went down that path and they regretted it. The 1JZ is definitely the better option in those circumstances!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
mAcr0s said:
as for the conversion.. which do you think would be the best (bang for buck)
1JZGTE or 7MGTE?
IMO the answer depends on where you're at. If you're in North America, then the answer may be 7M-GTE due to availability, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
So Nick now that you have your 2jzge, since its out of an is300, which sump does it have? I always wondered if it had the aristo compatable one or a mk4 supra compatable one.

I was going to go your route but I found a much nicer alternative 8)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts