Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up!! My fellow 85 owners. I'm new to the forum so id like to introduce myself. My names Brian from Orange County,CA. As you may already know i have a 85 supra with a w58 lol. i still have the 5m in the bay as well, but I'm getting ready to do a 2jz-ge swap and need all the help i could get. i already know some of the part needed to do the swap but i am missing a lot of info on it.

Swap list:
- 2jzge out of a pre-97 Lexus sc300 or gs300 with all the bells and whistles including uncut wiring harness
-5mge to jz engine mounts
-jz to w58 bellhousing
-clutch kit w/ flywheel
-clutch fork and bearings
- ECU either manual or auto???
- fuel pump and pump ecu
- fuel filter or can i use the stock one?
-radiator and hoses

how much more could i possibly need to drop this baby in?
please i would highly appreciate as much help as i possibly can as i am an experienced tech but have never pulled a motor.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
You don't need some of those parts. You can use the stock radiator, fuel pump, Mk2 clutch kit. You don't have to use the 2jZ fuel pump ecu. You should buy the GS300 engine since it will have the right oil pan and the wiring is more conducive to the Mk2. You're going to want to make sure you get the 2 body side connectors from the 2jZ swap car and you'll want the X plug from the ECU and E1 connector from the Mk2 engine harness.

You should come to JCCS next week. I'll have my 2JZGTE swapped car there and there might be others as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are doing me a big favor! plus a lot of things you are telling me are pretty foreign to me as i don't do electrical/wiring work. But i know that if i saw what i was looking for it would be 10 times easier when i go pull one out of the junkyard. i was reading up that the stock fuel system on the mk2 isn't enough for the motor so it starts to lean out in higher rpms. I'm going to need a lot of help when it comes down to this build. i really appreciate you letting me know about not needing some parts it would have been a total waste of money. It would be amazing if i met you in person and got to know more about what I'm going to need for the swap.

btw when is JCCS going to happen? like the time and place. is it still in long beach?

·
Registered
126 Posts
you are doing me a big favor! plus a lot of things you are telling me are pretty foreign to me as i don't do electrical/wiring work. But i know that if i saw what i was looking for it would be 10 times easier when i go pull one out of the junkyard. i was reading up that the stock fuel system on the mk2 isn't enough for the motor so it starts to lean out in higher rpms. I'm going to need a lot of help when it comes down to this build. i really appreciate you letting me know about not needing some parts it would have been a total waste of money. It would be amazing if i met you in person and got to know more about what I'm going to need for the swap.

btw when is JCCS going to happen? like the time and place. is it still in long beach?

It's on their website. Its in long beach on september 15.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome aboard! Keep us updated cause it sounds like a badass swap. I maybe wrong but I think you need be specific with your ECU. The auto ecu doesn't work with a manual, but someone might want to correct me on that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome aboard! Keep us updated cause it sounds like a badass swap. I maybe wrong but I think you need be specific with your ECU. The auto ecu doesn't work with a manual, but someone might want to correct me on that.
As long as the NSW STA wires on the auto ECU are hooked up to the starter circuit and see 12v during crank it will be fine. These DO need to be hooked up as it affects the ecu's starting idle (or at least in my swap they did)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey whats up!! My fellow 85 owners. I'm new to the forum so id like to introduce myself. My names Brian from Orange County,CA. As you may already know i have a 85 supra with a w58 lol. i still have the 5m in the bay as well, but I'm getting ready to do a 2jz-ge swap and need all the help i could get. i already know some of the part needed to do the swap but i am missing a lot of info on it.

Swap list:
- 2jzge out of a pre-97 Lexus sc300 or gs300 with all the bells and whistles including uncut wiring harness
As stated the gs300 has the proper sump and the wire harness is much easier to work with as it all traces back to the ecu connectors
-5mge to jz engine mounts
couple different routes, but yeah JZ to ma61/mx73 mounts
-jz to w58 bellhousing
Again, yes a mk4 5 speed bellhousing
-clutch kit w/ flywheel
mk4 or sc300 5 speed flywheel. Clutch kit can be whatever you want, stock will work. DO NOT get the dual mass IS300 flywheel
-clutch fork and bearings
mk4 w58 clutch fork yes. sc300 or mk4 5 speed slave cylinder! mk2 slave cylinder rod isn't long enough. pilot and throw out bearings will be in the clutch kit typically
- ECU either manual or auto???
Either is fine. You need to pay attention to the NSW and STA wires particularly. These need to be wired up for idle to be corrct
- fuel pump and pump ecu
Some have used stock, some have reported stock isn't enough and it does lean out. I used a walboro 255 for my 2jzge swap
Fuel pump ECU doesn't to be installed, but it will leave a code in memory if it's not. I've ran with or without and it doesn't make a difference

- fuel filter or can i use the stock one?
you can use the stock filter, but im not sure about the line from the filter to the rail
-radiator and hoses
stock rad and hoses are fine

how much more could i possibly need to drop this baby in?
please i would highly appreciate as much help as i possibly can as i am an experienced tech but have never pulled a motor.
for the NSW and STA wires in a manual trans car they both see 12v during crank and ground when not cranking. They ground out back through the starter wire through the solenoid. There is a starter signal at the factory ECU connector that can be used for this

This explains what each pin does and how it is incorporated to the car
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/41678224/2JZ-GE JZA80 Supra Engine Wiring

The rest of the wiring can be sorted here
The main thing to look out for is the MREL circuit for the idle air control valve. Improper wiring will cause hard cold starts.
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/file/43012497/m-relwiring.png
https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?41954-2JZ-GE-PnP-wiring-guide

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
VVTi is your friend.

You can look at my build thread for similar info, I've already solved a lot of your questions by research, trial, error and more research. For example, the fuel system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay so i ended up getting a 2jzge vvti and i believe its going to be a little harder then i thought with the wiring. i got the engine, mounts, the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. now I'm missing an electric fan cause i sold the clutch fan along with my motor. i still need to get a bell housing, anything i have to know? can i use all the stock stuff off my tans? i need a lot more help then intended but its still worth it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
What year and model is the engine from?
I have the entire '03 GS 300 donor and there is still only so many things I can use. The electric fan is one I won't be able to use because the mounting is too big. For mine, the ecu controls the fan through a relay. That is what you are most likely going to need. I am thinking of getting the fan that RaptorRacing has available.
If it is even close to a '03 GS 300 I have the TSRM and EWD that I can get you excerpts from.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
If you're planning on trying to make this smog legal you made your life a lot harder. You'll have to get all obd2 and mostly evap codes cleared. You'll also have to figure out how to get around the immobilizer or it will never run.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s been a long time since I posted and kept you guys updated.
So I got the motor and trans into the car and all bolted up. Driveshaft is bolted up as well. I have the radiator, hoses, intake, and filter. All I need now is a maf sensor and maybe a couple things that I don’t know I needed. But the motor is ready to get wired up and I ran into a fuel problem. If it’s even a problem. But I’m not sure if I need to make a return line from the fuel rail back to the gas tank. I’m in need of serious help as I’m stuck and am willing to pay someone to finish the rest. I just don’t have the time anymore due to school and work. My Instagram is 85supraaa dm there if you could help me out.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
The return line is probably the easiest part of the swap. If you look under the intake manifold there is a pipe that runs from the pressure regulator. You run a hose from that to the factory line on the frame rail.

The pressure side you need to mount a filter somewhere and run a line to the union block on the side of the engine. I used a 7th gen Corolla filter and line screwed onto the end of the factory Mk2 hardline.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
My rail actually had a return, which as I learned later on was a weirdo, but it's real. Just when you think you know something it turns out there are like 10 variants of the N/A JZs.

Since you went N/A VVTi you should not need a mass air flow sensor, look at the back side of your intake right near the Y pipe going over the cam covers, facing the driver, you'll find a manifold absolute pressure sensor. Better unit, they just use the MAF with the turbos because it's easier.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Funny, I went to my build thread to see if it was visible. First post, first photo, MAP right by the hoist chain, see the 2 bungs sticking up with a black thing attached?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts