Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got everything labeled for the most part, but have a few issues still,

1) im having trouble finding the wires on the jz harness for my temp sensor to wire into the body harness of the mk2, i cant find a good diagram

2) and to make the tach work my understanding is i need to run a wire to the black wire on the back of the cluster, were do i attach the black wire by the distributer? do i need a tach adapter still or no? i cant find exact details

3) if i choose to use the JZ alternator I would wire the jz to the body connecter of the MK2 were that alt connector is but i cant find what 3 wires on the mk2 harness i wire to the 3 wires on the jz connector, again cant find a good diagram

I tried to look on the forum and good and use other builds for reference but still cant figure it out, Help would be appreciated,

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Depending on the JZ engine source it may or may not have a single wire temp sensor on the water neck. If it does just trace that wire back to the body harness plug and run that to the back of the cluster and connect to the stock wire for the temp sensor. If it doesn't let me know and I'll dig up the part number for the sensor and harness pigtail which you will install in place of a small plug.

For the tach you use the tacho output from the igniter, then MSD 8920 tach adapter wired as voltage triggered tach and to the back of the cluster on the tacho wire again. The 8920 is not weather sealed so install under the dash somewhere.

For the alternator you just use the same big charge wire on the main charge connection, ground the alternator to the frame, and replace the circular alternator plug on the harness with an oval one.

Plug wiring

You can buy the plug here:

But realistically lots of places have it all modern Toyota alternators use the same oval plug.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
You might be interested in this for tach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is another solution to tach on any car to any engine, I used it for my mk4 Supra to 1UZ conversion.
all4swap.ru/product/spd
Guy (Yuri Baranov) is making these module mainly for 1UZ conversions, but it is universal and works with any signal conversion to any other, you just press button to change output signal. You can also slightly correct it (when speedo is involved). It works with tacho or speedo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts