Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be a work in progress for a while and will be edited.

I will use this thread to document my efforts to get an '03 GS300 2JZGE in to my '83 Terracotta P Type.
There are a lot of threads on this type of swap on here that I used. Please feel free to read those. Do not take my work for a definitive answer. What worked for me may not be the best for you.

Rough parts list
2JZ Bellhousing ~$300
2JZ Flywheel ~$250
2JZ Pressure plate ~$100
2JZ Clutch ~$100
Engine mounts ~$75
2JZ Throwout bearing (National 614088) ~$50
2JZ Clutch fork ~$30
Electric Fan set up ~$200
MKIV GTE throttle cable ~$50
Driftmotion power steering line for MKIII/JZ conversion ~$70
Oil adapter ~$20
Misc hoses ~$100
Electrical odds and ends ~$100
Modded stock ecu (All4Swap) ~$300
ATEMU (A/T Emulator)(All4Swap)~$70
Timing belt, water pump, gaskets, pulleys...engine refresh ~$400
---VVTI Gear Seal and bolt seal from Driftmotion VVTi JZ Cam Gear REBUILD KIT
Early 2JZ Return fuel rail ~$75
Cleaned injectors ~$90
Odds and ends ~$200
Service Manuals ~$200

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You will need an electric fan since the VVTIs don't have a mechanical fan. I have the fans triggered by a temperature switch that is threaded into the bottom of the radiator. Fans are on relays. One relay for each fan on initial start up. There is a NTC thermistor wired inline to limit the start up current. Problem is that with the NTC thermistor the voltage is limited to about 10v. I have a 3rd relay on a 10sec timer to supply full voltage to the fans.

This fan combination is what I am using. I had to trim about a quarter inch from each side to get it to fit into the Griffen radiator. Not sure what mods would be needed for a stock radiator.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Getting the gage cluster to work.

Water temp sensor.

Stock sensor threads in to the location next to the stock 2JZ ECU water temp sensor.

Oil press sender.
Use something like this. Or an oil relocation kit. Stock oil filter location sucks for the MKII. It is right above the front cross member.

Tach adaptor
Bypassing the resistor. I left the resistor in incase it didn't work. It works well. Only thing is that under 1Krpm it is slow to drop. I think it is the gage. Before I put it in I tried to make sure the needle would sweep smoothly and the last bit of travel it was slow coming down to 0. Maybe because it is 40 years old, or damn near that. Comparing with the OBD2 readings the Tack is anywhere from ~100 to ~250 rpm low. Mine likes to stay at ~3000 rpm for some reason and can be as much at 300 or 400 rpm off at that point. Good enough in my book. It did this with the resistor bypassed and the signal booster.

I used this tach signal booster off of ebay for 6 months and no problems. Splicing and wiring makes it more difficult that the resistor mod method.

Had the MSD hooked up for some bench testing with some small gage leads. Burnt the power lead. Thought no big deal since the actual wiring will handle the current. I was correct. The wire handled the current but the MSD unit burned up in about 5 seconds. Luckily it was so quick and not while driving. YMMV. There is absolutely no reason to use the MSD for a conversion like mine.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A/C compressors will vary by year and all may not work with my method. The best method to connect the hose ends together is to keep the new engine compressor side connections and the stock ends that connect under the condenser. With both of then you will want to cut the ferrules off of the ends. Get new line as needed, size #8 and #10 in my case. Cut hose to length and crimp new ferrules on the the hose, either yourself or take to a shop after you mark the position of the ends.
(done on the stock side in my situation)

Got the A/C adaptors for the compressor. They are a generic adaptor for a LS swap using a denso compressor (LS Swap A/C Compressor adapter fittings for Denso 10S17F & 10S20F) There are different versions. The one I got has the o-ring in a groove. Fits snugly and holds pressure.

A/C system works. Big take aways on this:
Had to buy a crimper for the fittings.
Top front #8 fitting off of compressor is a 135 degree. This goes to the High pressure tap then to stock end fitting at core support.
Lower rear #10 fitting is a 90 degree adapter with a 45 degree bend to stock end fitting at core support. Replaced hard line with new end fittings to put the low side tap in front of the condenser.

High Side off of compressor.

Low Side off of compressor

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stock ECU notes.

Initially used the stock '03GS300 ECU that came with the donor car. I had the immobilizer deleted. After putting it in the car and running it the MIL came on. Related to the EVAP system. Spoke with the guy who modified the ECU and he gave me some 2JZ ECUs that are better to modify and can remove the soft codes. Sent him an 02 IS300 ECU to modify and the EVAP codes no longer come up. Have an P0155 code for the O2 heater. This may be the cause of my rich condition. This was masked before because of the EVAP codes. *Update: Put in new O2 sensor and code is cleared. It is easier to remove the exhaust header and change out the O2 sensor than it it is to change the sensor on the car. Tail pipe is still indicating rich. I haven't found where the OBD2 AFRs are at to see if they are indicating rich or not.

Using the stock ECU with out the stock automatic transmission will require an ATEMU that you can get from the same guy and wire into the system. This will take away any chance at cruise control as the SPD wire is cut to the ECU.

Location of the ECU:
This is the sucky part of the whole thing. It is located in the engine bay in the GS300. The ECU is physically bigger than the sock 83 ECU and will not mount in the stock location without some modification of that area. The options for harness extensions online are very limited for the VVTI variant, not very long and expensive.
In the pic you can see how cramped it is in the area next to the fuse box. That is all the further the stock engine harness will allow the ECU to be moved. It does fit but I had to do some inventive modifying and mounting of the box. The black box is the stock GS300 cut down. You will need to shorten/lengthen wires to get them to look nice.

Benefit of Stock ECU at this time is full use of the VVTI. Currently be best the aftermarket ECUs can do is have an RPM based VVTI that is not dependent on engine load. More of an on/off at a certain RPM. Since I don't have an aftermarket ECU I cannot attest to the drivability/functionality.

This is the mess I started with.

TL/DR: Try to use an ECU with the following S/N 89666-30130 , -30131, -30132 , -30230 , -30231. Refer to the part where this is a story of my experience and not to take my word as a definitive answer for your project. Do research to see if these will work for you. Some S/Ns are nonVVTI some are.
ECU modified by:
Cost:
$50 shipping to him-$150 to modify-$50 return shipping.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For now the engine is running well and is a great swap for me.
Cons of the swap.
Oil filter location directly above the front crossmember sucks.
Cannot separate transmission from engine with out pulling the engine and transmission out of the car. So clutch changes will be fun. Starters can be changed with engine in place but I cannot remove the starter bolts completely out of the bellhousing.
I have not hooked up the A/C compressor yet. That is my next project.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can remove trans while in car. Remove fan,upper rad hose , remover engine mount bolts to frame and slide forward and tilt as needed. A few extra steps but better than taking engine out. Done several times with
w58 then went r154 that is easier. Starter bolt you can add plug access hole for starter removal only.
Your car looks great.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yeah on my 2JZGT you can remove the transmission (R154) but need to loosen the engine mounts and tilt the engine all the way back to get clearance. This is with a OS Giken twin plate too so you need to be able to separate the transmission and move it directly back off the engine to clear the clutch that is mounted to the flywheel (instead of the standard pull type clutch that you install into the bellhousing of the transmission and bolt to the flywheel through the inspection covers after the transmission is installed).

For the oil filter location, I have an aftermarket oil cooler with just a sandwich plate instead of the filter elbow, so the filter is above the crossmember but horizontally mounted perpendicular to the block. I do the oil change cold so the filter actually drains out all the way - no mess!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will want to get the CamBolt gasket as well.
This is what I got.
Cam gear seal set
No mods were angered in the making of this message. De we even have mods on this forum?

At the risk of angering the mods, here's my contribution to the parts list:

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I bought the driftmotion one myself and, surprised by the availability across the ENTIRE INTERNET of one other option on ebay, I made that listing.

It's proven to be pretty popular.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I'd love to package the cam seal together but I haven't been able to source them in bulk. I'll look into the bolt seal.
Most of these are going to repairs with a few folks obviously doing 2J and 1UZ swap and build stuff.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
The 2jz starter I pulled the other day had just bolts, can't you just put them in backwards when you do the initial install, and have the nut on the side facing the firewall?

Also, if you really don't want an electric fan (but you should, so much better, especially on an NA), you can just use the parts intended for the mk4 Supra. Both the gte and ge had a clutch fan.

Now yonking a jz out of an Aristo without taking the autotragic with it..... good luck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You do not need a tach adapter. This is what I did on my 1jz vvti

Reactions: Darrow

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@yota_fanatic Thank you for the post. This would be the best case and is easier than doing all the damn wiring spicing and routing.
I have a modified tach that I can put in just haven't needed to take the dash out. I had modified it so long ago that I forgot I did it and didn't find it until about a month ago while looking for something else.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts