Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These three decks have been sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Middle one is upside-down in picture. I don't know if they work anymore - I didn't have a cassette tape to test but they each lit up when powered on before they were removed from the cars.

$30 plus shipping for the three. All or none.

Reactions: Tanya

·
Registered
12 Posts
These three decks have been sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Middle one is upside-down in picture. I don't know if they work anymore - I didn't have a cassette tape to test but they each lit up when powered on before they were removed from the cars.

View attachment 15611

Hi Dave

I would take these if I knew that the centre one (upside down) still played cassettes. I have one in my 85 that works but the cassette doesn't. Let me know

Jay

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dave

I would take these if I knew that the centre one (upside down) still played cassettes. I have one in my 85 that works but the cassette doesn't. Let me know

Jay
I honestly don't know. I have aftermarket headunits in my Supras and really don't want to pull one out to test these units. I also don't have any tapes to test with either. Roll the dice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pm sent.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The main reason cassette players stop working is because the rubber drive belts get brittle and break. The belts are available on line. I was able to repair a SONY dual cassette deck. When I disassembled it the belts had turned to dust. So the cassette players in these units will very likely not work just due to age, but they can be repaired. BTW, DVD players that do not open and close anymore have the same issue, and can be very easily repaired. YouTube will tell you how to do it and where to get the replacement belts.

Capt Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
The main reason cassette players stop working is because the rubber drive belts get brittle and break. The belts are available on line. I was able to repair a SONY dual cassette deck. When I disassembled it the belts had turned to dust. So the cassette players in these units will very likely not work just due to age, but they can be repaired. BTW, DVD players that do not open and close anymore have the same issue, and can be very easily repaired. YouTube will tell you how to do it and where to get the replacement belts.

Capt Bob
That’s great info. Do you know the part number for the cassette belts for a 1985 supra or where I can find that info.
Jay

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
The main reason cassette players stop working is because the rubber drive belts get brittle and break.
Not the case with those. Most of that era from Fujitshu Ten have tractor heads with a gear at it's base. Most of the time, the gear dry up and split/crack. The new width of that tooth get jammed to the next gear when trying to engage. Need to find uncracked parts.
But 30$ for the 3 is a steel.

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sale pending.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
304 Posts
If it is a case of gears, perhaps they could be made with a 3-D printer. That's something I know nothing about, but there must be someone on this forum that has the knowledge........

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sold!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts