Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ive been thinking about it for a while.

basically its coming down to the fact that i finally found a few 7mgte front cuts for ~2500 bucks.
on the other hand a camaro/vette LT1, t56 tranny, and rear end (supra diff wont hold the power im told) costs 8000 bucks or more.

id love a 350 powered supra, but cost wise, its just not practical for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
there is a couple down here in hamptonroads virginia.... only saw one but he has a friend that had a 350 also on under the hood with a automagic

·
Registered
182 Posts
I came up against a mk2 with a ford Windsor in it at the NZ Supra fest......and beleive me it could up and move......on the 1/4 mile I held it for about 3 sec's then it just move away, beat me by about 2 sec's......it was stock bar the motor, and it looked good under the hood.

Tough it didnt quailify for a prize cause it wasnt supra powered. :lol:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
BLA! why waste a good thing, dont get me wrong i almost did it years ago! with a 350, 283 crank, camel hump heads, 202 valves. yatta yatta. I came accross the conclusion, a Ford V-8 would work better, oilpan clearance alot better, distributor in a much better location, run some block hugging headers, mated to a c-4 or c-6. only fuel, and exhaust would be a small issue. BUT WHY?? :shock: Just keep it toyota, i would drool so much more over a 5mgte, 7mgte or 2jzgte in a MKII over a 350 swap any day :wink: what a better chalange to turbo a MKII my hat is off to all who have "converted" to turbo. especially the 2j memebers! your the reason that keeps me comming back for more :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
the idea kinda popped into my head too...

a guy in the shop im doing my resto work in was hanging around while I was sanding my supra the other day and he asked me if I wanted a rebuilt 5mge because his buddy rebuilt it and then decideded he wanted to put a 350 in to the car instead... like anyone who hears one of those storys, i'm very skeptical about some parts... like theres no way I'd buy the so called "rebuilt 5m" but aparently the 350 went in fast and easy with an auto transmission (yeaccchhh! auto?)... well, once it's shiney and painted I know i'll want it to go faster (and not smoke) and I'll have to think about my options... I do have a 400 just sitting around that could be a contender if I could score some aluminum heads for weight reasons otherwise It would feel like im driving around with a large guy named Joey sitting on my hood. but I think the supra should stay supra... should it? it's a hard choice...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: the idea kinda popped into my head too...

RobMK2 said:
I do have a 400 just sitting around that could be a contender if I could score some aluminum heads for weight reasons otherwise It would feel like im driving around with a large guy named Joey sitting on my hood.
I think you'd be suprised as far as weight goes.....a SBC wont weigh that much more than a 5M. I was about this close to swapping in a 307 out of a 67 Chevelle, but gas milage won the day for me. I say do it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
engine weight comparisons

I have a large scale that I built for the purpose of weighing engines. The 5mge with W58 fastened to it weighs in at about 575 pounds. This includes all engine accessories except a-c compressor.

The 302 with C4 auto behind it weighs 645 pounds. However, I believe that the C4 and torque converter probably weigh considerably more than the W58 and clutch. The 302 and 5mge without trans probably weigh close to the same (479 pounds for the 5mge.)

The 302 with two barrel carb at 9.5 compression produced 220 horsepower at 4600 rpm and 300 ft/lbs torque at 2600 rpm in 1969. The four barrel version at 10.5 compression produced 290 horsepower at 5800 rpm and 290 pounds of torque at 4300 rpm in 1969.

Physically, the 302 would be an easy transplant (especially with the C4 auto) into the MkII, but meeting smog requirements would be a bit of a problem. The oil pans and motor mounts are similar in both engines. If the W58 were adapted to the 302, it should handle the engine about as well as the later Mustang 5 speed (not the world class), but would not be as strong as the old 4 speed toploader.

Bobby L. (a similar post was made on the MkII list just after I built my scale)

·
Registered
174 Posts
crap, i'm thinking again

Crap! I'm thinking again... no good can come of this.

hmmm... this is accually sounding like a good idea now. and since the CSB is shorter than the 5m (and slightly lighter with aluminum heads)... It would make the Supra a front-mid mounted engine car... figure the w58 (and the rest of the drive train) would handle that kind of torque if it was adapted?

and there is no way a torque converter is coming anywhere near my drivetrain!!!! *deep breaths*

hmm--- and if I did swap in a american v8... wouldn't that make it a sort of anti-racism car or somthing? its all the same if it flys... right? although my old mechanics teacher would strangle me...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: crap, i'm thinking again

RobMK2 said:
... figure the w58 (and the rest of the drive train) would handle that kind of torque if it was adapted?
for a time....yes. overall..........time for a ford 9" rear and R series tranny or T56 :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts