Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a Chevy 350 will fit into a MKII Supra? I have both, the Supra, unfortunately, is in need of a new power source, and was curious if the two could someone come together...... I don't know if a cross-breed will be good, but a 350 rebuild is a lot better than my bros extra 5.0. Who likes 5.0's anyway?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
yea there are a couple of them floating around. there are two pics of one of them on the cs.com home page in the gallery section

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
CRF_Rider said:
Hmmmm.

A supercharged V8 in the MKII.

Now THAT would be a project.

Of course there would need to be some serious suspention, brake and drivetrain changes.
There was a mk2 a while back that was suppose to be V8 with a blower. They cut out a hole right out the center of the hood for the blower :twisted:. I dont know if it ever got finished :(

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
There's a guy over here in Dallas who did a supercharged chevy v6 conversion in the early 80s with a nearly brand new supra (guess v6s were the latest craze back then). Literally riveted a bread pan over the hole in the hood to clear the blower and painted it terra cotta to match. Grenaded the blower while tuning on the dyno, but made 385hp. Gave up on the project and has been sitting in a warehouse for last 18 years, still with only 17K miles on the odometer today. Whats really sad is that it started out as a Cartech 5m turbo conversion but that wasn't powerful enough so they had to screw up a perfectly good Supra in what wound up a failed experiment.

Phil D.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
theres been a few posts on here, and a few more (mostly by me and some people trying to talk me out of it) on the yahoo list.

try searching for them, theyre pretty close to the beginning of the forum archives.

ive also got some links and what not, if you read whats been written and decide you still really want to try it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I may try it, eventually. I was just curious if it would actually FIT. If I do decide to do it, I'll keep it posted. The only other question I have is, will the rear-end hold up to such an increase in power or would I have to get an old Chevy or Ford rear-end or something? I've heard the rear-ends are really good in the MKii's but I just wanna make sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rear end should hold up alright but you will need a new transmition as the stock wont match up. THe biggest problem with v8 power plants is theat they make a lot of torque right away and have a shorter powerband so they are harder on the drive train. Do a 7m-gte conversion as it will be less headache and make for a better setup.

·
Registered
351 Posts
mkIISupraman18 said:
The only other question I have is, will the rear-end hold up to such an increase in power or would I have to get an old Chevy or Ford rear-end or something? I've heard the rear-ends are really good in the MKii's but I just wanna make sure.
Depends on how you drive and what mods you do to the engine. If you are a hard driver, a stock 350 will nuke the rear end pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
There is an article in the JTR book on V8 engine swaps that explains installing a V8 into a MkII (couple of pages worth). I was reading it in the auto parts store. I said they had to rotate the center body on the steering rack 180 degrees and redo the PS hard lines. They had to do the usual mounts and exhaust work. They also had issues with not being able to lower the engine as low as possible due to the crank pulley interfering with sway bar. They also had to relocate all the brake lines from the trans tunnel for clearance on the 700R4 trans. The car they photoed looked the one on the Sonic site with the TPI 350. They said it ran 14.4 @ 95 or something with the stock v8 :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts