Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

351 windsor 84 type.

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Cross 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen or heard of this swap? I have a 351 windsor from 72. Two barrel carb. I have the car it came in aswell. A 72 ford torino. I got the torino for free. And just want a car that sounds good looks good and will be fun to drive. Opinions are welcome, please no hate. I just don't have the money for a proper swap like a 7m 1j 2j like i want to do. I just happen to have everything from this car though and figure why not? Sorry for grammer issues this was written on my phone. This is just a idea I have. And doesn't mean I will do it. I just want you all to entertain the idea. Ty

#2 ·
72 Torino should have a front sump oil pan, bonus! You may need some creative crossmember kung fu, such as lowering it by shimming x-member to body mounts to retain stock hood clearance, or just cut a scoop/run with no hood. There was 1 here locally that has been for sale off and on for years, havent seen it recently. C-4 Automatic? If so, entire drivetrain will fit like it was meant to be there. Driveshaft/Exhaust will be most expensive part of whole swap. Good Luck!

#4 ·
Make sure you check the type of transmission by the bolt pattern on the pan, I have two 70s era Ford Automatic Transmissions, one is from a 74 Torino and it is called an "FMX Transmission". Not Much Support for the FMX but a lot for the C-4, to my knowledge they do NOT Interchange, so be careful before you spend a lot on things for the C-4 with out actually knowing what type yours is.

Also I remember that someone has put a 302 into a MKII and they may be similar, search for that and see what they had to go through.

#7 ·
A quick internet search revealed that the 1972 351W 2bbl based on the net rating put out 177 hp. Yeah yeah I know all about torque but would seem like an awful lot of trouble to go through for net gain of 17 horsepower. And whatever torque advantage you have would be nulified by having a 3 speed automatic vs. the stock 5 speed manual. Hopefully you are planning some power upgrades for the Windsor.

PS - 3 speed automatics SUCK in today's world especially for highway cruising; as the owner of two 1979 Pontiac Trans Ams with TH350s - ask me how I know...:)

Good luck with the swap if you decide to go for it.

#8 ·
Yea yea I know not much of a gain. But I see a lot of aftermarket products for the 351w. I also love the sound of a small block ford v8. I may not do the swap then again I might. I just wanted some input from you guys. Thanks I ll let you all know shortly if I decide to.

#9 ·
There was a member in Texas (83MKII I think?) who swapped a Ford 302 into his white 83 Supra, and somehow retained the 5 speed. He later pulled the engine and sold the car, but the swap was done and running. I believe the thread was called "Ok Ok, so here it is!".

#11 ·
Cross,

I had actually considered doing a modular 4V DOHC 4.6L from a Mark VII (VIII?). The motor is supposed to be fairly light, AL block and heads, and has about 300 HP stock. Given that I have recently spent so much money on the 2JZ swap though, I decided against it...

I am an old Ford guy! I built a 351C 4bbl head motor for my 72 Mustang, which was over the top. After spending nearly $25K to build a car that was pretty much only strip worthy, I disassembled it and sold off all the parts. I later went to a 351W that was smaller and lighter, but with much less power. The thing I learned as I was building the Windsor motor though, was that with some porting on the heads and a 4bbl Intake the motor can make reasonable power... I was using a B&M manual/reversed valve body C6 tranny with a 3,500 stall convertor. The C6 was a lot stronger than the C4, but was much more problematic...

Best of luck with the swap if you go through with it!

P.S. The Cleveland motor is almost like having a Big Block motor, it is too heavy for the MKII!

Regards,

Carlos

#14 ·
We're a friendly community here, that comment is not welcome.

About 20 years ago I swapped a 351w into a 79 Merc Capri, Pretty easy as the motor mounts are the same as the 302, a minor amount of hood clearance issue that was easy to fix.

#15 ·
I'd have to say you are, you enjoy the vehicle not the brand which = real car enthusiast. (very rare) :)

But I'd say if you plan on swapping to a 7m or JZ platform later on then don't put no money into that V8. Cost wise its a waste of money, the old v8's are expensive to build and there very heavy, and if you want a good handling car a top heavy v8's not the way to go. A more modern one would be tho, but like you said you have it, its running and it was free.

Personally I much prefer the sound of a cam'd and tuned inline 6 over any v8 I've heard. One swap I really wanna do is a 4g63 swap into a mk2, local guy did it a few years back and put 3k into the engine for 400hp of pure reliable rwd fun.

#18 ·
Oh I totally agree, you have it why not use it until you can get something better. When you can bag the crap out of it till she blows then you have a reason to do another swap! X-D
He had just stated earlier that he originally wanted to do a 7m/jz swap.

I had actually finally read your siggy when I did my original post and seen you supercharged your 5m, I had never even thought of that for my future plans, I was totally stuck on 5m-gte/hybrid.......Your mods have definitely stirred my 5m soup bowl, I very much so like unique. I would kill to hear your car mmmmmmm *drool*
V8 syndrome.....its everywhere, its the only thing in the automotive scene that drives me bonkers. I hate hate hate V8's doesn't matter if there toyota's or even worse american, its the attitude you get from the V8 enthusiasts. It's the main reason I hold a passionate hatred towards american automotive industry, hard to find a muscle car fan that respects the Euro's and Asian brands (the ones that do usually have had imports before).:)

Anyways back on subject, sorry for straying so much....the subject was brought up so I couldn't resist. I'm not as good as Cross lol. Just see what you like there Cross, get that V8 hugging the ground as best as you can to keep your handling in good order. And if you decide to stay v8 you a lest have a good start with what your looking at. Highly recommend finding an aluminum block v8 if so to keep the weight down and have the car more balanced, as most well balanced sports cars tend to be legends.

#19 ·
One benefit of the Ford 351W is that you can open up the Summit catalog or any of thousands of other sources and buy all sorts of performance parts, pistons, cylinder heads, intakes, superchargers, carburetors, you name it. Probably anything you want to order is in stock and can be sitting on your front porch in less than a week. Ordinary maintenance parts like plug wires, fuel pumps, etc. are already on the shelf at your local parts store when you need to make a quick repair, and at a fraction of the Toyota equivalent prices. Heck, I'm almost afraid to drive my mk2 anymore let alone drive it hard because I know there's a whole lot of parts in there for which there are no new replacements, only sketchy used or rebuilt stuff and some not at all. By contrast, if you blow up a small block Ford, heck, the junkyards are littered with them. Now, all that said, just please don't hack up a nice mk2 to stick a non-original or non-toyota powerplant in it for the same reason I said about parts. There's just not enough nice mk2s out there to be doing stuff like that to. If you got a tired old mk2 that's seen better days and the only way to restore it is to modify the heck out of it anyway, then there could be some advantage to having a much more common Ford driveline. I don't know how difficult the swap would be so you'll just have to research and decide for yourself whether the advantages outweigh the amount of fabrication involved.

#20 ·
i demand pics of the Torino, for science :D
I had a 72 ranchero, and that 1 year only front end that looks like billy the big mouth bass is my favorite thing ever. I say go for the swap if the torino is beyond repair, or if you are going with something else in the torino of course. Windsors can make great power if you put the money into them. Get the correct late 60's heads from a junk yard for the cheap, a nice cam, intake/exhaust and you're looking at 300hp pretty easily. If you shell out for some aluminum heads and whatever else you can afford the weight isn't really all that bad. I know a 302 with aluminum heads and what not is only 100lbs heavier than a 12a from an early rx-7, so the weight is deceptive.

#21 ·
Haha Thanks for all the replys guys. I ll post a build thread if I decide to go this route. I am currently unsure and I am looking at moving within the next few months so that doesnt leave me much time to worry about this. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.