Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have seen some interest in the community for some replacement small pieces that are just not made anymore. I was messing around and created some 3D printed parts that I put on my supra and wanted to share. So far I have made the shock tower cover and front dash vents. the vents I made are not as complex but rather just a place holder to help make the dash look nicer. With the heat they do warp but that actually helped it form to the shape of the hole. These are the first generations of these parts and with time I hope I can make them look almost OEM with the moving mechanisms and all. The 3d lines are noticeable but with some TLC and some body filler and paint, they can look like they are factory
IMG_20200614_142703.jpg
IMG_20200614_160712.jpg
IMG_20200614_160719.jpg
. Would anyone be interested in these?

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
The dash vent split and crack and turn to dust. I got a couple that I used. Looks fine. I'm waiting on my door TRIANLGES. I bought some 3D printed" poppers" for the turn signal lights. They split open. :cautious:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dash vent split and crack and turn to dust. I got a couple that I used. Looks fine. I'm waiting on my door TRIANLGES. I bought some 3D printed" poppers" for the turn signal lights. They split open. :cautious:
I am going print in a material that has a higher tempature threshold. the stuff you see in the photos is printed with PLA, but the final product will be printed in PETG. This material is a lot stronger than PLA which is known for being brittle and having a low temperature threshold

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Dash vents and rear shock covers are already being 3D printed by someone on here. I have a set and they have held up well for the 5+ years I have had mine. They have even lasted through a dash removal. The very ends have bent up slightly but not much and you have to look closely to even notice. He also has a set of rear shock covers that are very close to stock looking shape. There is surface roughness on them. The ones I got have the 'TEQ' design on the top.

I am not sure what kind of material it is, definitely not PLA.

This is not to say don't do it or direct anyone to another source for the parts. It is to say 3D printed parts do work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dash vents and rear shock covers are already being 3D printed by someone on here. I have a set and they have held up well for the 5+ years I have had mine. They have even lasted through a dash removal. The very ends have bent up slightly but not much and you have to look closely to even notice. He also has a set of rear shock covers that are very close to stock looking shape. There is surface roughness on them. The ones I got have the 'TEQ' design on the top.

I am not sure what kind of material it is, definitely not PLA.

This is not to say don't do it or direct anyone to another source for the parts. It is to say 3D printed parts do work.
Can you link me to the thread?

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
mutantcolors does 3D printing, also. We have time. Many businesses are beginning to open again. Wheeee!
Too late for my hair cut. My buddy chopped it off. Looks OK, but its WAY short!

I got some flu crap in February, but survived. Did Las Vegas in March, just B-4 they CLOSED.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

i don't see anyone making these A/C vents or shock covers, only the defrost vent

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Hey all,
I have seen some interest in the community for some replacement small pieces that are just not made anymore. I was messing around and created some 3D printed parts that I put on my supra and wanted to share. So far I have made the shock tower cover and front dash vents. the vents I made are not as complex but rather just a place holder to help make the dash look nicer. With the heat they do warp but that actually helped it form to the shape of the hole. These are the first generations of these parts and with time I hope I can make them look almost OEM with the moving mechanisms and all. The 3d lines are noticeable but with some TLC and some body filler and paint, they can look like they are factory View attachment 14794 View attachment 14795 View attachment 14796 . Would anyone be interested in these?
I would for sure! I think that great people like you are using technology for things like this. I am doing a resto mod on my 1984 Supra. Keep me informed of your progress.
thanks, Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same guy does both. May not be that active here anymore.
The guy sells the 3D vents on eBay. Look up:
3D-GEM 82 83 84 85 Defrost Vents Celica Supra - (Pair) hard2find
I bought a set for my 84 and they pretty good. You can tell them from the OEM part as they have the 3D effect but better than the broken one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts