Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,260 Posts
I'll be anxious to hear your feedback after you've had a chance to mess with it for a while. I see the little animal figurine in the picture and that has always given me a little concern because most all the video "demos" from all the manufacturers tend to show the production of art objects for which accuracy is as near inconsequential as you can get. Some of these machines claim they are capable of hundredths of an inch, good enough for all but close tolerance working machine parts, but choosing silly figurines for demos doesn't inspire me to want to buy a product for making car parts or molds. I kinda want to hear from someone who says, "Yea, I printed a replacement <insert critical plastic car part> for my <insert car make/model>" using the <insert printer/scanner model number>." before I jump in.

But the uses are endless. Right now if I had the capability, I need a female fan speed relay plug for a vintage Corvette and the only way to get one is to buy an entire reproduction engine bay harness or pray that you find a salvage corvette that was stored in a climate controlled building and almost never driven in 45 years before it was unluckily totalled by damage other than by fire. Sure would be nice to be able to scan my partially melted one, edit out the damage in some software, then print out a perfect reproduction with a couple hours of work.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Sure would be nice to be able to scan my partially melted one, edit out the damage in some software, then print out a perfect reproduction with a couple hours of work.
Agreed, plus there is already a site in place to share/sell your designs too. So you could easily post it up for others to use for free, or a nominal fee :p

https://www.thingiverse.com/

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have no delusions the technology, at this stage, will be fully capable of reproducing designs even as good as the ones I can mould. In reality it may just be another high-tech toy - which is most likely what it will be (for now). I compare it to the early stages of digital photography vs film. Though I still use some of my old lenses on my digital camera, I wouldn't go back, but having learned the ropes through film (just as in moulding), helps me understand the wider design process. I've been doing computer assisted design since 1980 and autoCAD since it's inception, so I'm not unfamiliar in that realm. I def needed to jump in to 3D printing at some point - now that I have some time on my hands, why wait? Again. the overhang seems to be problematic - they demonstrated that with the lion - did you see the support pillars in the video? That still concerns me - afterall material is still 'one use' plastic. I'm a firm believer in the future of reusable 'friendly' plastic. That's the direction I'm headed, we'll see where this goes...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Some snaps from my semi-recent foray into 3D printing for one of my Supra projects. I would love to have my own machine to be able to make something at home and tweak as desired. I'll be keeping an eye on the specs and prices. In the meantime, I am extremely happy with the result after modeling what I wanted myself and having a 3rd party print it.

Phil, regarding your concern on accuracy the item I had printed came out exactly as I had modeled it to replace the factory badge, and it fit into my grille perfect. Not sure about scanning accuracy, seems to me you would always have a decent amount of tweaking & fine tuning to get a scan right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not that I'm advertising the following places, and understand if this needs to be deleted, but in the interest of those who can design and want to make your own parts.
I bought my 3d Sun Hokey printer from aliexpress.com . This comes straight from China and is ~$255 right now(customs might hit you with another $50). I've been running mine for about 6 months now with only a clogged nozzle from all the filament I've been running. You can get this dialed in fairly well for such a cheap kit.
Thingiverse has TONs of fun on it to run.
Even a DIY scanner for cheap, but be prepared to understand slicer software as well as the hardware as you have to assembly it yourself.
If your on the fence or want to know more you can check out Hibosons prusa i3 videos of the build on youtube.
If there are autoCAD files you have, they can be converted and printed. There are limits to the printers, but there is so much they can do.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Glad you navigated over here rather than continue a dead thread which was like :dead hors

Those DIY kits remind me of the 'Ancient Mary' Heathkits. If you don't know what a Heathkit is/was, you were born too late, lol. Basically, they were electronics kits you put together yourself from a pile of parts and a schemata - starting with tube design, later models went 'solid state'. Amateur radio allowed folks to communicate around the world long before the Internet was even a thought. I'm sure they are no less complicated than the radios I used to build in my youth. It was a great way to learn how to DIY from scratch. Those were simpler times, humble beginnings, and I'm sure others on the board (DrJim comes to mind) would concur.

Enough of the history lesson, welcome the digital age and 3D modelling/printing. It was a relatively easy transition from analogue to digital (which is one reason I still like my '82) - kind of a throwback to a bygone era without the carb, lol. For the past couple decades, I've been on the cusp, even venturing out onto to the cutting edge, but the lessons learned there can be very expensive and quickly mothballed. It's hard not to be lured into the high-tech game with cheap Chinese parts, but personally I try not to buy into that due to my conscience - sweatshops come to mind - been there, seen that firsthand and it ain't a pretty sight :eekfacepalm: Not saying I haven't in past, it's just my standpoint moving forward ...pay now and play later, or play now and pay later. We all have the right to make our own personal decisions. Besides, most of the parts used probably originate there anyway.

Currently I'm working to bridge a 'lost generation' with technology. Unfortunately, it's difficult to educate those whose technical knowledge is, for the most part, limited to pushing a button. I've been hard-pressed to even find a soldering iron within 500 miles! That said, 3D printers will IMHO bring about a major shift - felt most greatly in the far north, since everything, and I mean everything, must be flown in at huge expense and difficulty. Learning how to DIY with the help of seamless technology is the solution to the needs of a populous - and it's not a hard sell, especially with the FB generation. It might be a southern perspective, but this ain't my first 'kick at the cat'.

BTW, my wife hates it. lol
I can totally relate to that :mm_twak: I had to travel half way across a continent in order to continue my work. Here's hoping... :twocents:

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I have a FlashForge Creator Pro, with dual extruders, and have a GlowForge Desktop Laser cutter ordered on Kickstarter. I'm still modelling the A Pillar Sail Panels (that cover the inside of the mirror) but I'll post up a thread when I get around to making more progress. I'm currently working on finishing the 7M-GTE swap, I'm 99% done with the mechanicals and will be moving on to the MS3X wiring in the next week or so.

·
Founding Member
6,260 Posts
I'm still modelling the A Pillar Sail Panels (that cover the inside of the mirror)
That's the perfect part to start with as its a relatively simple geometric structure and fits in virtually any of the consumer 3d printers build space. What software are you modeling in?

I keep finding more uses. While washing the Jag last weekend the mitt caught a piece of brittle plastic trim and snapped it right off and of course Jaguar doesn't stock it any longer and junkyard parts are all similarly toasted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, Has anyone made progress with this idea? Several years of progress now offers 3D printers that can produce strong, smooth parts in various materials. I assume the process of scanning a part has also improved by at least an order of magnitude. If I still had a whisker to start with, I could take it to a local "maker" shop for them to prototype. Unfortunately the Florida sun turned mine into dust years ago.

·
Super Moderator
8,168 Posts
I don't think anything has really changed other than there are gazillions of cheap Chinese knockoffs printers out there. There have been some neat stuff on the industrial end of things, but unless you want to spend $50-100k on a machine, you're still dependent on using a 3d print service. All the home 3d scanners are basically a joke. I've paid for getting 3d scans done of Mk2 parts but its not cheap either.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Sorry, LOL. I meant the other "it" in your post. I am going to tool up and do for Supras what that guy did for Cruisers.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I am 100% serious. I've been eyeing a 3D printer for a while now and I've selected the one I'm going to buy that will make end-user grade parts, not just hobbyist and trinket quality.
I have the 3D modeling skills and software.

I'll probably set up a new vendor profile. But for now, let's talk about which parts should get done first :)
We all know whiskers and vents. I'm thinking the moving parts that break inside of the electronic side mirrors are a good candidate. I will have high strength/high temp capability as well.
Battery tie downs are another.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
My 3D printer arrived.

The 3D scanner got waylaid by sever weather back East and won't be in til next week. In the meantime, I'll be setting up shop. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey mutant,

I have a Creality CR-10 printer. I've made all kinds of cool crap with it. My next big project will be an all LCD display instrument cluster. I love the look of some of these new instrument clusters like the 2020 Kia Xceed. I have the programming skills and graphic design skills as well. However, I don't have access to my instrument cluster at the moment as I put her to rest for the winter. I decided to make this over the winter so I can slap it in this spring. Just gotta get some measurements of the instrument cluster first. My printer prints PLA like a champ but not ABS very well. I can get small ABS parts to print if I can get a good adhesion to the bed.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts