Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
It is certainly not the magic process that some folks think, you need to be a good designer and technician to produce end user quality parts.
Agreed, the technology has come a long way in the past decade or so, but still has its limitations. Expensive equipment, time in R&D, overhead... kinda turned the scales for me when I went back to the drawing board with vacuum moulding. Benefits of 3DP come once you've worked out the bugs, just feed the machine and press the button. I'd like to see the whiskers in TPU :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you still producing any of these? I would be interested in a pair of whiskers at the very least.

I've been printing the whiskers, defrost vents, rear side marker vents, shock tower caps, and some clips here and there. Fun technology and I thoroughly enjoy doing it. The hardest part (for me) is the time to create the solid model correctly.
Scanners still have a long way to go for a home user. Some newer lower cost ones are coming out, but still have a lot of "noise" that needs to be processed out.
Always looking for more ideas to keep them running.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Strangely enough I went back to copy and paste the link and it's gone. I think the vendor overlords of the forum may have given him a reprimand.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
BIG thanks to Arch for the triangles! It was a team effort.(y)
Arch sent 'em to me,I sent 'em to mutantcolors--he needs a pair for his ride,too. We just get'er done,people.The prototypes are in process.Be patient.This takes some time.Life DOES get in the way,sometimes and this is one of those times.
I bought this plastic paint in Shadow Blue:
SEM Not tested,yet!
Need some touch ups in my interior,anyway.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Update -
My furnace died on Jan 02 2020. I have yet to replace it - I'm a picky dude and the quotes I got were INSANE so yes, I'm building a new home heating system nearly from scratch.
I need a heated environment to properly print high quality materials. So, while I can develop parts (and I have been doing so) making them from user-grade material generally requires your space to be above 50 degrees, which is not the case for me.

We'll get there soon enough. Two and a half more weeks of waiting on a part...

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
HOW DO YOU KEEP FROM FREEZING IN YOUR HOUSE? WOOD STOVE AND ELECTRIC HEATERS?Caps lock...
I use a propane heater in my shed and I like it warm!24 C.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
My tolerance grows by the day.
Went to my buddy's sister's house for a card game last week. They had the house at 65 degrees and I was too hot. My tolerance is growing by the day. :devilish:

Lucky for me, it's been the warmest winter on record around here. Several days in the 50s and half of them or more have been above freezing for the low.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your post got me to look up average climate for you. I had no idea you had colder winters and hotter summers than we do down in NC. You're gonna die when it gets warm if you've adapted to such cold temps, haha.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It's been -47C here in the backwoods o' the North where the bikinis never shine! 🥶
Problem is, usually too hot indoors, gotta go outside to chill...

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
Turn down the damper on the wood stove,Greg! Just be aware of chimney/creosote fires.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Roger that Dave, not using a wood stove which I'd prefer, but an ancient oil furnace on auto-pilot, warm and cold - I even out the temps with an electric heater. I prefer cooler temps, but below -50 (not including wind chill) gets a little extreme even for my liking.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
EXTREME? I would last 6 minutes outside! My BAL does NOT count as anti freeze.
Can you say frostbite? I knew that you could.
Well,if I left my beer outside,it would freeze solid. WODKA freezes @ 70 below(F).

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Your post got me to look up average climate for you. I had no idea you had colder winters and hotter summers than we do down in NC. You're gonna die when it gets warm if you've adapted to such cold temps, haha.
Yep, Southern Idaho has a huge spread, we are in a high desert here. In town we generally have a few snow days and a few 100+ degree days every year. Certainly a good stretch of below freezing and above 90. Keep in mind our humidity is low so a hot NC and a hot ID are completely different animals. It's like a sauna vs a steam room.

I lived in Bangkok for a year of college and worked in SW Missouri for a month building a custom home. That humidity is no joke. Way worse than dry heat.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
My brother lives in Thailand and the humidity is TERRIBLE! Sit and sweat.Sticky butt-crack hot.
Seattle runs from 30 to 90 F. I had to add A/C in my shed. My computer puts out a bit of heat.Also a small refer.
Has propane heater.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I used to put a folded handkerchief in the top of my shorts to stop the back sweat from running down my ass in Thailand. Not kidding at all. Called it the back diaper.

The humidity is so high you don't sweat, you just get wet from the air.

My trip to Borneo over xmas and new year was even worse.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts