Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot about JZ and even 1UZ swaps on here, but has anyone done or seen a 3SGTE swap? It is done for JTGTC on the MKIV, which is a much heavier car, but seems as though it would be suitable for the MK2.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It can be done... everything is possible

JGTC Supra has the 3SGTE engine but they are about 1800kg... they have been lightened extensively for running a 2.0L turbocharged engine... while the NSX is running a NA V6 with almost identical weights with the MKIV... and the skyline is running a 3.4L twin turbo I6 but has a much heavier weight to start with.

TOYSPORT.com has done a bunch of engine swap on any toyota cars... they have swapped a JZ engine to a RA64 car and they ahve a kit to swap a 3SGTE to a RA64 chassis

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
uhm, 1800 kg is almost 4000 pounds :wink:

A 3sgte would make a good swap in a mk2, but most of us like the torque and growl of an inline six. It would be just as much or more work to install one as say, a 1uzfe, so thats why it hasen't really been done.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The only rear drive tranny for a 3S is the 6 speed in the Altezza in Japan. Kind of an odd part to find in the US. Unless you want to convert the MkII to front wheel drive or mid engined car though :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
ooooooooh mid rear supra *drooooool*

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
my bad it was 1800lbs... what am i thinking... :x

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Actually there is a rear-drive transmission for the S series engine which has been around for ages; the W55 is available with a suitable bellhousing, and of course it's compatible with a W58. Here in Australia they're found in 83-84 Celicas and Coronas (with the 2S-C engine), but I'm not sure if they're common in the US.

Personally I'd put a 3S-GTE in a Celica, not a Supra; the extra weight of the longer chassis isn't necessary for a 4-cylinder engine. Over here I can pick up an SA63 Celica and the 3S will practically bolt in! You need custom manifolds though (to suit the RWD layout), so it's not a cheap option.

As for the JGTC Supra, I strongly doubt it weighs 1800kg when a MkIV weighs less than 1600kg from the factory! And what's this about a 3.4 litre Skyline? The GTR comes with a 2.6 litre engine (RB26DETT), and the biggest RB series engine is 3.0 (RB30E), so I don't see how they could have come up with 3.4 litres...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Alot of the Professionally sponsored Supra's are using the 3S-GTE. The reason being (or at least, so I was told, and it made sense to me) was that the motor was lighter, sat farther back on the chasis, and getting decent power from them isn't that hard. From what I understand, its a great motor, and responds well to moderate to high levels of boost in stock form.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
okay to my first post... I am sorry for the wrong information... it was just on top off my head....

well anyways... here are some information that might be helpfull

http://toysport.com/PET 3s_GTE Conversion.htm
click on the sit for 3SGTE engine conversion to FR from toysport.com

Jay

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Good god!! With the prices they list for the bellhousing, they should buy ya dinner and give ya a kiss afterwards!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just to clear up a bit on confusion. From what I've gathered, JGTC cars are around 1100-1200kg. The Skyline GTR race version uses a VQ30DETT, and all but a couple of the Supras have swapped from a 3SGTE, to a 5.3l race version of the 3UZFE.

As for the 3SGTE into Mk2, the thing would handle pretty damn well as you could move it so far back into the bay. Personally, I'm going a 1GGTE, but thats because its a bolt-in proposition for my Celica XX.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I might add that the Supras only ran 3S-GTE's to take advantage of the rules in the JGTC. Using the smaller engine allowed them to run more boost (hence peak power was about the same as the 2JZ) plus they were allowed to use wider tyres. The lighter weight and better weight distribution was just a bonus.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
The 3s rwd trans/bell housing is not readily available in the US.I have measured every trans at Nix 99 and -NOTHING.

Shawn
"wanting a 3sge vvti in his AE86"

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Here is an easy way:

3S VVTI RWD w/ 6 Speed tranny from Altezza. Roughly 6000 US delivered to your driveway. Already RWD, so an easier swap.

Over 200hp in that little 4 banger N/A. Figure custom engine mounts, cooling, and driveshaft/tranny mounts.

But man what a fun car that would be. Then again, if you want a light RWD car , just get an AE86.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts