Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible? Has it been done? Does anyone have pics?

Helpful, useful info only please, no flaming! :D

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Uh yeah, it's possible.....

Just remove the rear seats. Getting all 3 pieces out (the seat bottom & both seatbacks) should only take about 10 minutes).

Once you have them out, then it's up to you as to what you want to do with the space. I've seen pics of a few MKIII owners on the SOGI list who decided to use the empty backseat area & construct a subwoofer enclosure (I "think" that may have been Rob Carlisle that did that). Others (like Larry Anderson) gutted out EVERYTHING behind the front seats & he relocated his battery to directly behind the passenger seat (and using all the usual safety procautions, etc).

Many of the high powered MKIV's also remove their backseats or gut out everything, to install rollcage's.

It all depends on what you want to do w/ the empty space. As for the 2 BIG MKII racers that we know of..... Joel Tanzman I believe gutted out everything behind the front seats & installed a 5-pt roll cage. Russ Matusevich still has a full interior (including his back seats) and his rollcage.

HTH.

·
Super Moderator
8,392 Posts
I took mine out a while ago and built an enclousure there. Looks factory with the black carpeting covering it. It has a spot built in for a 10" sealed port box with room for an amp in the middle and the battery on the right. It still has some room on the side for a roll bar to pass thru and weld over the rear crossmember. The major reason I did it was to save about $1500 in upholstery work. Although now that I've decided to go with aftermarket seat it will let me not have to worry about mismatched front and rear seats.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Assuming you are wanting to do this for weight savings and still look nice, I would look into fabricating a new deck in place of the back seat using a honeycomb aluminum panel (Aerolam). Then cover it with automotive carpet. There are like a bazillion different specs so just call someplace like Metal-Mart and tell them what you want to do and they could probably hook you up. BTW, if you are removing a perfectly good blue leather back seat I could use one!

Phil D.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cool site, and your car is in great shape too. The exterior is immaculate.
What kind of tires are you running on it? And those rims you "placed" on the shot are cool too. I assume they would need to be custom made for the MKII.
And I'm glad to see someone else has that same problem with the cheap plastic "chrome" trim piece on the drivers side seat cracking and falling apart.
K

·
Registered
790 Posts
Actually, I'm in the process of doing this right now too (I'm using it for a sub-encloser); its just kinda of stalled due to lack of funds (ie unexpected school cost), so its just empty.

PS, I have two top cussions(sp) in blue leather (the bottom part of the seat was pretty trashed by the previous owner, so it ended up in the trash), but I doubt shipping from OR to TX would be worth it; if you're really hard up, let me know.

·
Registered
118 Posts
well i know of a guy with a mk2 golf that gutted his back seats out and teh golf is basicly flat after doing this and he cut plywood to fit in the space covered it with carpet and it looks like just a big ol 2 seater golf lol kinda hard to explain. lots of room to manuver legs if ya catch my drift :wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
oh and if i get a supra first thing im gonnna do is take out the seats cuz i aint no damn taxi cab(if anyone askes i'll tell em teh car never came with seats) :twisted:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ive been considering doing this, removing the back seats and making a little 'lounge' back there.

put in an lcd monitor, some throw cushions, a little built in cooler/icebox.

might be really nice for when i go to the lake, or just out for a picnic in the country.

then i realized... i can charge people gas money for driving them around town, which im always doing anyways :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Someone above posted about the chome piece on the drivers seat falling off... I've got the solution: Remove the whole thing, go to KMart, Wallmart, Pepboys.... you get the idea. Anyway get a spool of that door edge protective stuff (the stuff that comes in gold, chrome... etc etc) It has an adhesive on it, its flexable and its easy to use :lol: If you want to change the color they also have teh stuff in black and probably some others too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I need to fix the chrome trim around my seats. I can't find that door trim anywhere. I use to see it at a few stores. But haven't seen any lately. TOYMAN321 do you know where exactly I can find this stuff now?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I think I have seen it recently at Walmart, you may be able to find some online?? Not sure

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KeithD said:
Cool site, and your car is in great shape too. The exterior is immaculate.
What kind of tires are you running on it? And those rims you "placed" on the shot are cool too. I assume they would need to be custom made for the MKII.
And I'm glad to see someone else has that same problem with the cheap plastic "chrome" trim piece on the drivers side seat cracking and falling apart.
K
thanks for the props keith... my car was bought in excellent condition and has always lived in socal... so no snow, no rain (well very little) and definitely no salt! (not near ocean) those stupid old spider looking rims are lame and i dont like them anymore... i do like the Axis 4 spoke rims tho... they are nice and square and would look cool on a mk2, IMO they would compliment the mk2's sharp angles :D

and yea that stupid chrome piece is broken... was broken when i got the car... it catches easily on clothing and the seat belt... ill smash my thumb with a hammer if i see someone with theirs in perfect condition... :shock:

oh and the tires are just lame-o kelleys :) but im putting Falken ZE 205's on soon for the winter season... not just 4 but all 5 (the spare)

heres the tire specs:

Falken SKU#: 28-331-453
Description: ZIEX ZE 512
Overall Dia: 23.7
Approved Rim Width: 5.5 - 7.5

heres the rims i REALLY want... (they're even 4 lug)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wingnut said:
well i know of a guy with a mk2 golf that gutted his back seats out and teh golf is basicly flat after doing this and he cut plywood to fit in the space covered it with carpet and it looks like just a big ol 2 seater golf lol kinda hard to explain. lots of room to manuver legs if ya catch my drift :wink:

ahahahhahah thats hilarious... and i do catch ur drift, and yes i know all about legroom in the back with the seats down.... lets just say there is just enough room to have a lil' nook nook with the hatch still closed :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyways can you guys post pics of custom stereo installations- installed where the two back seats used to be?

i've seen pics of MKIII- 4 to 2 seat stereo conversions (Jason Mooremans' former MKIII is a beautiful example) but i've never seen a really CLEAN custom conversion with stereo.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Oh!!! Nice pictures ArchAngelSerra!!!

Another Code 2U4 owner!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

My set up in my old supra The new one is way better...

I know its not the back seats but it's a thought.

will

·
Registered
551 Posts
this 2 seat conversion is awesome and id idnt thinky ou can do it.
i am now going to plan this. all i do is drive girls home and without passenger she can give me head ont he way home haha.

but seriously where do i go or what do i do to make a box to fix amp and sub?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts