Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to have an amp if your stereo has a 4 volt preamp output? Or like those new ones w/ 3 sets of preamp outputs?

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
No, not usually. Depends if the radio has no internal amp which are usually the most expensive and are not that common.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kenwood

Yeah, I spent a fortune about 3 years ago on this Kenwood Excelon KDC-X811. I think it should work w/no amp since it says 44wattsX4, must be the internal amp. Best sounding CD player I ever had, about to sell my last Planet Audio amp so I can get a new starter w/means more to me right now :?

·
Registered
124 Posts
4 volt

The 4 volt preout refers to the signal going to an external amplifier. Usually the higher the voltage the cleaner the sound you will get from an external amp(being of decent quality). The three RCA out puts usually mean that you can hook up 3 external amps(F,R,Sub)or a 4 channel amp and a powered sub. I have a Blaupunkt Austin with the three outputs going to a 4 channel amp(F,R) and a powered sub(S). Most decks have built in amps to run the front and rear speakers. Look in the owners manual or on the front of the deck to see what the power rating is, for example 4x40.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 Volt preamp outputs

THanks, I should be good :D then. I lost the manual, but should be able to disconnect all the amp wires goin to the speakers. And open up the dash to pull the Kenwood out and I'm thinkin then go from the stereo to the speekers w/some thin gauge wires :?

I remember hearing from somepeople that you have to have an amp if you have a 4 Volt pre-amp output stereo :x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts