Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from my supra I've got a 4runner, I was wondering if anyone has had any eperience with those spoilers that mount on the back of SUV's and channel air down over the rear window... Since the back of these things are so big they would create a vaccume behind the car and I was wondering if one of these spoilers would do anything for my milage by cutting down on the turbulance and the vaccume behind my 4runner? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think they're just supposed to block the sun.

Don't expect the world from these little things.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had seen them advertised that they are supposed to channel air down over the window, the rear windows on wagons and SUV's get really dirty due to the vaccume back there, i was just wondering if it was enough air to make a difference in drag

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
wallcrawlr said:
Are those CA gas prices really that bad??
Yes, California gas prices SUCK - at or above $2.00 gallon for all grades of fuel. I'm glad the Supra gets fairly decent gas mileage...I just need to work on my heavy right foot.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they are that bad, combine that with my commute to work and I wouldnt mind saving a little gas, my runner is a manual 4cyl so it actually gets pretty good milage, but every little bit helps (that and I wouldnt mind being able to help the environment a little along the way)

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Those deflectors are designed to help keep the back windows clean. I installed an OE one on my 91 runner and really cant say it screwed up the fuel economy much worse - its already bad to begin with. My 99 Runner also has one since new. Go for it. If your concerned about gas mileage, then get a Prius or Insight.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nah Im saying that if it deflects air into the area that is usually a turbulant vaccume it would reduce drag thus improving milage... I was wondering if this would actually make a noticable difference

1 - 8 of 8 Posts