Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

5.0 coyote swap question

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ToySnake 
#1 ·
Ok I want to do a different swap, I'd like to purchase the 5.0 coyote motor soon. I have buddies that can weld and make mounts I'm not so much worried about that. I'm just wondering if the 5.0 will fit. 1uzs are quite big I know they are a tad bigger than lsx motors (which another member has already made happen). I could not find dimensions for a 1uz but I did find out that a ls1 is 23.62 wide and 27.50 long, now not sure if I'm correct on this but a 1uz is at least 2in wider than that? And the 5.0 motor is 29.05in wide and 26.08in long. So it would be a tight but I want to make this happen! And no I'm not going to sell my supra and buy a mustang. Yes 2jzs are one of the best motors ever made I know this. 1uzs do not quite put enough power out either so any thoughts or ideas let me know!!

#2 ·
1uzs do put out decent power man. The 1uzs between 97-2000(Lexus gs, sc, ls 400 series) put out 300hp /310 ft-torque in stock platform, then there's still the newer models 2uz which has a cast block to accept higher torque aplications and then 3uz.
Its nice tho that you dont wanna take the beaten path tho kudos to you for that. Keep us updated wish I could offer some help but my knowledge on american auto is not at a pro level. I'm planning on doing a 4g63t swap on my next supra.

#3 ·
Considering there are multiple threads of big v8 swaps and even a v12 swap then a 5.0 should be cake. The only big thing you need to worry about is the getting the exhaust manifolds to clear, but it can be done.

#5 ·
#6 ·
if itll fit i thinks a good swap to consider, later down the road when they are MUCH cheaper. over 400hp stock, and doesnt take much to pump out more.

#7 ·
The new Chrysler 5.7 Hemi V8 is a front sump engine. I have one in our 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T and LOVE the power! It even has cylinder deactivation so you can highway cruise in 4 cylinder mode to save gas. It would be a lot of wiring to figure out, but may be another great swap candidate in the future.

#8 · (Edited)
Top heavy,wide and VERY expensive, poor choice IMHO. It does make decent power though.
The Ls1 fits just fine in the engine bay-but if you shave off 3 inches per side, your going to need some serious skills fabricating headers! Think log style or spaghetti on the drivers side
The drivers side ls exhaust # 5 and 7 are right in the way of the steering shaft-ask me how I know.
If you put the coyote engine high enough and forward enough, than you would have better clearance, but the engine is already top heavy.....How much are these new ford engines? Gonna cost you a mint just for admission.
I like odd swaps, but there are better platforms

1-2J, many swaps done-heavy as a boat anchor and getting old, good power potential.

1uzfe, kinda wimpy at 250-300hp, and no aftermarket support that I know of, I thinks parts are a hassle and expensive. I've read that they take force induction well.

Ls series= compact, very light when all Aluminum, and dirt cheap for a 4.8 or 5.3 engine-near unlimited tuning and aftermarket options, takes to forced induction well even stock, and you can get new or used parts near any where in the world, I've seen 4.8 and 5.3 liter engines go for 500$. The 5.3's make 400h fwhp all day long with a mild cam and a decent factory heads.
guys running full size trucks are getting 12 second quarter mile slips with the hopped up 4.8 liters with out forced induction....Literarily millions of engines available --you know where I lean eh?
Keep it simple (wish I would ; )
But if you had to ask and you choose the coyote engine, than it's a good bet that your not any where near a position to do a swap....I was and still am, and it's still stalled in the garage-something about a kiddo and a wife keeps getting in the way....
BTW, I cannot wait for some one to start modding the new 2014 5.3 engines, all aluminum, 355 hp and 383 ft lbs stock with a torque curve that starts at off-idle, the awesome has just begun. heck the lowly 4.3 v6 will have 285 hp and 305 ft lbs, light and compact.
Wait until those engines start showing en-mass in the yards, I'm eye balling a 6.2 for my truck at 420hp and 450 ft lbs......nice daily driver at 4200 lbs with a 6 spd.
If you do start this swap, please keep us posted.

#9 ·
ls isnt very light. the aluminum block is only 80lbs lighter than the iron block. 80lbs isnt enough to warrant the extra cost of an aluminum block ls. a turbo 4.8 or 5.3 would do well though.

#10 · (Edited)
William,80 lbs off the front of a light weight car is a lot, off a truck-I would agree it's not a lot.
The 5.3's come in aluminum if you look, although most yards will charge a premium for the l33 lm4 engines.
Also, it's more like 100+ lbs FWIR.
William, on an engine hoist the 5mge engine "feels" heavier than the Ls1 to me, but I've never had a scale to confirm this.
I heartily agree about turboing the 4.8 and 5.3 engines, I've read the 4.8 has been taken to 1200 FWHP and live through multiple dyno sessions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.