Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess I'll unofficially introduce my latest addition. Photos will come, but it's a 1989 MK3 Silver Targa Turbo. It's a stock block JDM 7MGTE with a SP67mm turbo, T4 manifold, HKS front mount, 550 injectors, 3 inch exhaust, VPC, blah blah blah. Exterior is bone stock including sawblades.

Went our for a ride today, going into "target scan" mode, looking for victims..... leaving the neighborhood I look across the light at a shiny white GT Mustang with blue stripes. We both enter the highway at the same time roughly and I see the words "ROUSCH" on the bottom of it. My heart starts racing a little. He came up behind me and as he passed I nailed 3rd for a bit to let my open wastegate blast in his passenger side window. He keeps going so I signal him to hold up a sec. We line up, me in 3rd, 3 beeps,...go. He gets the jump, v8 roaring in my ear...The 67 lags for a second then here comes full boost (18lbs) I scream thru 3rd and bang 4th, keeping my foot to the floor. He still charges ahead but I slowly start to reel him in. Right as I get a nose on him we let out.

We make a u turn, I wanted more. This time I try from second gear which worried me cuz I dont have drag radials yet. 3 honks and we're off. He get only a small jump as I quickly slam 3rd...full boost and I start inching forward. Holy sheet I'm takin him- I nail 4th and had maybe half a car. I would still call it a kill, but not by much. In my estimation if I could have got to 5th I may have put a car on him, thats probaby about it. Best race yet for me in a loooong time. Maybe ever.

We pulled over to shoot the shit. His car was brand new, really sharp. He said it was making roughly 420HP, which confirmed what I "thought" mine was making (415-430). He was a nice guy and kept saying, "damn when that turbo spins that thing is loud as hell screamin in my ear!" I just smiled, staring at his beautiful Mustang along side my old skool Mk3 who quietly purred along side his shiny machine. I mainly complimented his car as I didnt want to be an ass, although he didn't sem too interested in checking out my car at all. Turns out he lives around the corner. Next race Im going to sneak some race gas and turn that bitch up to 23lbs. Fun times.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,...I wont be forgetting that race any time soon. It was one of those epic "clash of the titan" moments. The roar of the mighty v8 thundering against the scream of the force-fed inine six 67mm. Those are the ones I live for.

Sure, it's fun to shit on other cars, but there's nothing quite like meeting your match, and beating him by a nose. Especially when I wasn't sure at the time of the power output on those things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
HAHA! Blew my second clutch racing one from a dig! They are damn fast. That reading was good, had my heart pumping and i wasn't even there!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,...I didn't know what I was in for- just happy to have pulled it off by a hair.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Repping hard. I love the MK2!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Repping hard. I love the MK2!
We all love the MK2 as well...but i think he did it in his MK3. Finding a race like that is like hunting for that trophy buck..you hunt and wait and look everywhere for hours and even days on end then finally there it is, stepping out of the bushes into a clearing and you didnt waiver...BAM!!! you went for it!!!..Fine Kill Mike.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Nice kill. 18psi with a 67 should be more like 470rwhp, of course depending on housing sizes and related mods. I really enjoyed your vivid grasp and realism conveyed in text, a really fun read.

Also, the pic posted by someone is the 99-04 body - i take it this race was the current body?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wade,

Yea that pic is NOT the Stang I raced. It was the newer one...2011. My HP "guesstimation" is based on other MK3's with similar setups. The setup I have is actually fairly common. It's about as far as you wanna go before getting a built motor and going standalone.

Also, my buddies MK4 made 414hp on the dyno and we were about neck and neck when we raced. He may have been a bit lighter though. I still see the guy regurlarly, as he is a contractor and building an addition for my neighbor. He may even end up doing my garage.

But as far as the race,... yea, I LIVE FOR THAT SHIT. I run my cars when I run them, if you know what I mean. I hope to move towards 1j/2j setups in the future. The 7m's have that black cloud over them at least for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts